Name that unit!

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Name that unit!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Thats awesome, so its a trainer or night fighter model. Good research!

I think it looks like a cool looking aircraft and from what I read about the few 335 that got into the air they were really fast and hard to engage. It said the 335's speed far outpaced the P-51 Mustang.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

I've read that too. The guys that were flying it back to be packed up and shipped over quickly out paced the P-51's that were flying as chase planes.
Thank you Rebel!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 pm

I wonder how its speed would compare to the Mosquito which was one of the fastest prop planes in the air?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Do-335
Maximum Speed:
413 mph (665 kph) sustained, 477 mph (765km/h) with emergency boost

Mosquito B Mk XVI
Maximum speed: 361 kn (415 mph, 668 km/h) at 28,000 ft (8,500 m)

P-51D
Maximum speed: 437 mph (703 km/h) at 25,000 ft (7,600 m)

XF5U http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF5U#Speci ... 8XF5U-1.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maximum speed: 413 knots / 475 mph at 28,000 ft (estimated) (765 km/h at 8,534 meters)
Thank you Rebel!

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 pm

If I remember correctly this was one of the fastest prop driven aircraft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-12_Rainbow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It had a cruising speed of 400 MPH which is insane.

I guess the fastest single engine Piston Driven aircraft was the F8F Bearcat
Maximum speed: 421 mph (366 kn, 678 km/h)
Thank you Rebel!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 pm

So it was faster than the Mosquito, interesting. So its likely a bit of luck for the allies that the Me 262 and Do-335 never really got into large scale production. If they had the skys over Europe may have looked a lot different. These DO's had some nasty guns on them that would of shredded wooden framed aircraft into saw dust. Judging from its size compared to the vehicles around seems to dwarf most fighters from that era also.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I think the size in that picture is a bit misleading. It appears that the plane is much closer to the photographer than anything else. If you look at the size of the main landing gear next to the people it would have to be almost 4 feet, and I don't think that's likely.
These are for a standard, so it would be big, but not as big as it appears in the pic.
Do-335 DIMENSIONS:
Wing span: 13.8m (45 ft. 4 in.)
Wing Surface Area: N/A
Length: 13.87m (45 ft. 6 in.)
Height: 4m (16 ft. 4 in.)

I remember watching a documentary about the 262. I wish I could remember what it was called, but it had Galland in it.

In the documentary it said that if the 262 had gotten into production earlier it was thought it would have delayed the Western Allies from landing and allowed the Soviets to conquer more of Western Europe. It wouldn't really have been able to change the fate of Germany just delayed it's demise. But then again it's all just theory and conjecture.
Thank you Rebel!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:33 pm

Check out this youtube vid I found of the 335. It really puts its size into perspective. Its give a good perspective of how tall it actually was.

Yea I can see how it may not of won the war as Germanys fate was already sealed. But it sure would of hurt moral on the home front for a little while.

On a side note I was reading up on the Bofors AA in commonwealth service and it said few Bofors were used for AA duties as the German Airforce was pretty well beaten by 43-44. It was used extensively by the RN though as primary AA on ships. It stated is was used by the army mostly for anti-infantry and for guiding night attacks by firing tracers toward the infantrys objective. So it doesn't suprise me the 262 or 335 would of meerly delayed the enevitable.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdtzDZI0dAk[/BBvideo]
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 am

That is really big.

I remember a few years ago when I went to my first air museum and saw a lot of the WWII planes up close. I was surprised by the size of them. They all looked kinda stubby. It can be really hard to get a sense of size until you see something in person.

The museum I went to was in Dayton Ohio at Wright Patterson AFB. If you're ever in the area they are well worth seeing. Here's a link: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since then I've been to a couple of others. Most memorable for me was the one in Chino, CA which unfortunately is about a 7 hour drive. They have a huge collection of flying WWII, Korean, and Vietnam era ac's.

Sorry about going off topic.

Something to get us back on topic (Yes, they called it an Assender because it was an Ass-Ender :D)
[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEDawKLvjE[/BBvideo]
Thank you Rebel!

Encore

Unread post by Encore » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Just found this tread, and thought I'd join the fun...

(first one should be easy, but how could I not start with my all-time favorite?)
Attachments
#1.JPG