Varying points

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Sean-Khan

Varying points

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 am

I mentioned a bonus/penalty for lower/higher point value in another post. I'd like to think this further. If we're keeping 100 points as a default limit, how far do you think varying point limits can be drawn? The idea I had read of gave 1vp for every point you had less than 100 points in your flight (of minimum 90pts), or gave 2 points to your opponent for every point exceeding 100 points (up to 110pts).

However, I'd like to extend these limits to 80 and 120, perhaps even more. Can you see this possible, keeping the game playable and generally balanced? Having flights of 80 and 120 points would make the game auto-win, and this isn't taking uneven setup into account. The latter could be fixed by forcing the weaker party to start from advantageous position, but still doesn't fix the first issue. Could a requirement of having to make at least one hit to win fix it? Does 80pts flight have even hope of dropping even one plane from 119pts flight?

Or do you have other ideas how to handle this kind of games? Being able to create flights of 80-120pts would give a huge amount of options compared to strict 100pt limit and I'd really like to make this work.

Rebel

Re: Varying points

Unread post by Rebel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:03 am

I've seen a lot of people on the Forumini face this problem, since there are no cheap point fillers, you often get strange point values, so many players houserule! :D
Some just play 110 points, or random points by playing 100+3d6 points, but most like some sort of balancing factor:

Good rules include:
Allow a 5% +/- to the build, so 100 points could be played 105 or 95.
Allow 12 points over, but for each point over, your enemy can add a point to his/her init roll the first two turns.
Allow 10 point differences, but subtract the difference from the finishing points (unfair, kinda)
Allow differences, but keep the same ratio of 60% points needed to win.

Threads that may help:
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about32871.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about32633.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about32101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps! :D
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

Sean-Khan

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks Rebel! Hm, could just keeping the ratio really be the solution?

Expecting to get the starter today or tomorrow :dance:

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes, I think that's the best, just take 60% of what your team is, and you have to get that many points to win. Same for your opponent! :D
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.