New player here... could use some direction

Information on getting started Playing Axis and Allies Miniatures and Rules Clarifications.
Doberman74

New player here... could use some direction

Unread post by Doberman74 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Truely excited to start playing. I'm a huge WWII history nut. I recently found this game on the internet and have not been able to find anybody playing at the local game stores. Not into fantasy but love war games. This seems like the prefect fit with more advanced turn based moves and online play seems to be the way to go at the moment.

Few quick questions.

1) Will I need to buy minis to play co op or online games? Or can I collect just cards? I've bought a starter kit and I'm ready to beef up my army with say, $70.00 worth of mini singles.

2) IF I do need to buy minis, should I worry about beefing up a single country? Like if I want to play the US, should I strictly focus on buying US minis or will I need to buy other countries as well, so I can properly place them on the map?

3) I noticed a thread on setting up armies. Is there a proper checklist with card stats, I'd like to see what I'm buying and what the best bang for the buck is.

4) Are there any short scenarios I can run through with a veteran player? I'd like to get going in the next week. I have 10-20 hrs a week to play AAM.

Look forward to meeting you soon on the battlefield!

Cheers

Doberman74

Re: New player here... could use some direction

Unread post by Doberman74 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm

I should probably ask, what sets I should be buying from. I was looking to buy from 39'-45' D-Day, base set and reserves. ANy other suggestions or advice?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Firstly, welcome.

The mini game that you invested in is an awesome tactical game, a military chess of sorts. Its generally described as a "beer and pretzels" game because of its less complex rule set and flexability to modify it to suit your needs. We do play online here and also on the Forumini. Don't worry about learning, we can help. I will answer some questions you asked.

1. No you don't need any minis to play online. Yes you do need cards to play, you can find them here: http://www.tintirinti.com/search_AAM.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You have a starter and you want to expand. We can help getting a good starter army together but I will let Dano explain that to you.

2. You don't need to buy minis but if you wish to collect them most players in the beginning focus on a Theater of Ops and build those nations. And playing mixed armies is also an option, USA, UK and Russia can all play on one side while your collection is growing. If you have an opponent to play then both players can specialize in a certain nation. But frankly you will get bored eventually by just playing one nation. Typical European match ups would be: USA, UK Vs Germany or Soviet Union Vs Germany. I myself only collect armies and units from the European and Desert Theater of Ops.

3. There are some xls databases around that you can scroll through units and look over units and decide whats right for you. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28096553/Databa ... uzido.xlsx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It was done by a Brazilian member here thats why the heading are in Portuguese, its good though.

4. Yes, We can start a online match tomorrow if you wish. In the mean time here is a thread with some basic graphics to demo mechanics. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Ober
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Doberman74 wrote:I should probably ask, what sets I should be buying from. I was looking to buy from 39'-45' D-Day, base set and reserves. ANy other suggestions or advice?
This is where it gets tricky. WotC changed the tank scales from 12mm to 15mm in the 6th (39-45) sets. The infantry and artillery are unchanged as far as scale goes. They have reprinted most of the 12mm into 15mm but some units remain. If you don't mind a slight scale difference all 10 sets are available to you. If you want to stick to 15mm then you must buy from; 39-45, Eastern front, N.A., early war and Counter offensive sets. Some feel very strongly against playing mixed scales but they are legal in tournament play. I play all ten sets myself.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Doberman74

Unread post by Doberman74 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This does seem to be the most active forum on the web. After pouring through several sites and not finding any local players I decided to register here. Seems like the right decision and thanks again for replying back so quickly.

I'm going to start reading over the links you furnished.

If being able to dl & print cards is easier and cheaper than stocking up on minis, I'm game. Would still make sense to have at least a map with some minis in front of me to plan strategy against opponents. Is this the right school of thought to advance in the game?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Doberman74 wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This does seem to be the most active forum on the web. After pouring through several sites and not finding any local players I decided to register here. Seems like the right decision and thanks again for replying back so quickly.

I'm going to start reading over the links you furnished.

If being able to dl & print cards is easier and cheaper than stocking up on minis, I'm game. Would still make sense to have at least a map with some minis in front of me to plan strategy against opponents. Is this the right school of thought to advance in the game?
I'm pretty sure we have a member from NC but a can't remember who it is.

We can play on the maps you received in the starter and you can follow along. I suspect you won't need to use them much. the maps and graphics are pretty clear here and the maps are easily opened with Gimp or MSpaint to determine Line of Sight (LOS). I am going out to my local game store (LGS) for an event we are having this evening but I will come up with a match and post it down in the Play-by-Post section for us in the morning.

Cheers
Ober
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Doberman74

Unread post by Doberman74 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Sounds good, I'm going to start downloading cards. Can you give me an idea of how many points that game will have so I can start shopping for units/cards?

Thanks again

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Here's are thread in the P-b-P section with build instructions. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Gen. G.S. Patton

KennyJman
Mod
Mod

Unread post by KennyJman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Welcome to the Forum and to the game!! It is truly great to see someone joining the ranks.