View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 am

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Custom Cards for the Philippines Campaign 1941-1942 

Hi all,

This is my first post here on the forum so I decided to kick things off with some cards from my custom Philippines Campaign set. I made 14 more that I've posted on my blog. I"m still getting the hang of how to create/post these things so bear with me.

Most of these cards are for the US, only one for the Japanese. I just didn't think that the current selection of US cards are enough to really cover for the wildly different troop types that were used in the Philippines. The current Japanese selection seems to fit the bill though.

Anyway, what you'll find on my blog are cards for:

US Advisors
M1917 MMG squad
31st Infantry Riflemen
Philippine Scout Riflemen
M3 SPM
Scout/Philippine Army Artillery
Lt. Edwin Ramsey
26th Cavalry troopers
65th Brigade soldiers
Naval Battalion Sailors
Stokes Trench Mortar
US Bren Carriers
PFC Ortilano
Philippine Army Riflemen

http://scratchoneflattop.blogspot.com/2 ... ustom.html

All of these cards are rough drafts that I'm checking out in my own games. I'm using my own miniatures for the figures (except for the vehicles). I'll probably post photographs of my miniatures later after I have a game or two in. I have some ideas for several more troop types for another "set" down the line.

I'm curious about what input you guys have. Also, how can you edit the cards to put other pictures inside them?

Thanks!

Attachments:
26th Cavalry Troopers.jpg
26th Cavalry Troopers.jpg [ 107.71 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Last edited by tgunner91 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:27 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Welcome aboard tgunner91. The link didn't work and I think I see the problem, its with the code. Here is an example of the code, all you need to do is add a square bracket at the end to enable it like I did below. I Use Photobucket and just copy the image code over to post. There seems to be an issue with the size and resolution of the image. Try saving it at twice the size and at at least 80% resolution and it should be good.

PS - You can also attach images at the bottom of each post frame below the first submit button instead of posting from a photo storage site.

[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1203/philippinearmyartillery.th.jpg[/img

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Nice cards, I see the changes worked.

I have to agree even the USA isn't that well outfitted for the Pacific threater. The Marines aren't very well represented in the game, especially against the Japanese. Love the "How do you use a rifle, Mac!" SA and you likely can reduce the Cavalry's cost a couple of points but other than that the cards look good.

Are you using Photoshop, MSPaint or gimp to make the cards? Adding an image is usually a matter of pasting a image into the card and in your photo editing software. Once we know what you are using we can give you a hand getting them in.

Welcome again, and I'm off to explore your site.

Cheers
Ober

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the comments and tips Ober.

Quote:
I have to agree even the USA isn't that well outfitted for the Pacific threater. The Marines aren't very well represented in the game, especially against the Japanese. Love the "How do you use a rifle, Mac!" SA and you likely can reduce the Cavalry's cost a couple of points but other than that the cards look good.

That's one of my projects for this summer. I'm gaming out 1942 this year so I'm working on the Philippines right now. Later I'm going to do some Kokoda Trail games and then Guadalcanal. So I'll be working on cards for the Australians (both Militia and 2AIF troops) and for the USMC/US Army forces that fought on New Guinea.

Thanks for the comments on the cards. I noticed a few errors crept in here and there that I need to fix (like the Artillery units). I'll try out the cavalry with 5 points and see.

Quote:
Are you using Photoshop, MSPaint or gimp to make the cards? Adding an image is usually a matter of pasting a image into the card and in your photo editing software. Once we know what you are using we can give you a hand getting them in.

I'm using Picasa 3 and I'm not overly happy with it. Once you add text to a picture you can go back and edit it. You have to start all over again so you've got to be careful with proofreading. I want to be able to import pictures of miniatures and national symbols into the card jpgs. I haven't been able to figure that part out though.

Quote:
Welcome again, and I'm off to explore your site.

Thanks! My blog is pretty dusty, but I kind of forgot about it until recentally. It'll see a bit of use over the coming months as I gear up and do more Axis and Allies games. I love the card database here. It's been a huge help in helping me to design my cards.

Anyway, back to the cards.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:29 am
Mod
Mod

I use GIMP. It's priced right at FREE!! That is the upside. The only downside is NO MANUAL! It gets tedious and time consuming at times, but the cards look great. I am sure there are some features that would make it faster and easier, but I haven't figured them out yet. All of my GIMPology was simple trial and error. Try something, see what happens. There is an undo button. In fact you can undo 1 step at a time all the way back. Until you save.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:49 am
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.
:bowty: Welcome tgunner91,

You have entered a welth of information here. We have map makers, terrain makers, card makers and, model scratch builders/painters. We're the Wal-mart of the AAM world. Please feel free to tap the knowledge of any of our friendly, helpful staff. :D

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 am

And feel free to help make the "Wal-mart" better! :wink:

Can't wait to check out your site! :D

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]