Map

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

pfclt

Re: Map

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Post if printing plans actually happen - might be interested. Shipping for the maps Stalker made for me was $18.65 still have the container. Hopfully the ones loco pointed out will be cheaper.

Also, I left my maps out for awhile and they faded where exposed. They may need laminating - Stalker - have any others made comments on this in the past and does laminating prevent it?

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm

pfclt wrote:Post if printing plans actually happen - might be interested. Shipping for the maps Stalker made for me was $18.65 still have the container. Hopfully the ones loco pointed out will be cheaper.

Also, I left my maps out for awhile and they faded where exposed. They may need laminating - Stalker - have any others made comments on this in the past and does laminating prevent it?

Sorry to hear about the fading, haven't heard that from anybody else, but I suppose they are just large photos and are subject to fading when exposed to sunlight for awhile. I don't think lamination would probably help with the fading issue unless the lamination has some sort of UV blocker in it. Never looked into that before. Lamination does help with spills, wear and tear, and ripping issues. However, I have used several different types of photo paper over the last few years and one guy said that the lamination pulled the paper apart that he got. Sorry, I don't remember which type I printed your maps on....

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Stalker6 wrote:
pfclt wrote:Post if printing plans actually happen - might be interested. Shipping for the maps Stalker made for me was $18.65 still have the container. Hopfully the ones loco pointed out will be cheaper.

Sorry to hear about the fading, haven't heard that from anybody else, but I suppose they are just large photos and are subject to fading when exposed to sunlight for awhile. I don't think lamination would probably help with the fading issue unless the lamination has some sort of UV blocker in it. Never looked into that before. Lamination does help with spills, wear and tear, and ripping issues. However, I have used several different types of photo paper over the last few years and one guy said that the lamination pulled the paper apart that he got. Sorry, I don't remember which type I printed your maps on....
I suspect you're right - it would need UV protection. Of course just putting them away and not leaving them in sunlight would also work unless there is an ongoing setup. But something for others to be aware of - as a possibility. A pic of my faded map you can see it was rolled up and only exposed on the outer edges - still usable just yellowish:
faded map.JPG

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm

There some anti-UV options out there. Check out this article

https://graphicartsmag.com/articles/201 ... amination/
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

Were the sections stored separately (i.e. They all have sections of fading)? I will see what I can do about getting you replacements.

I store all my various maps flat inside two large pieces of cardboard. Makes setup easier when you don't have to fight the curl.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:08 am

How long were they exposed to sunlight?

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 am

Stalker6 wrote:How long were they exposed to sunlight?
Stalker6 wrote:Were the sections stored separately (i.e. They all have sections of fading)? I will see what I can do about getting you replacements.

I store all my various maps flat inside two large pieces of cardboard. Makes setup easier when you don't have to fight the curl.
Stalker - don't worry about replacing them. One of my sons is the only one I was playing these games with and we have been playing other games for awhile. We did intend to get back to AAM at some point, but right now he has something going on in his life that will probably preclude any gaming for some time. And depending on what happens will depend if he even wants to continue after. If I decide I would like to replace them I will contact you. I would expect to pay as normal - you shouldn't have to absorb the cost - besides they were essentially free last time I believe - IIRC. And they are still usable. I still might be interested in some of these new ones you're talking about - just a speculative kind of thing. Never thought of storing them your way as they are kind of big - but sure sounds like a better way to go! Thanks

As for the storage I'll post a pic here where and how I left them. In the picture I post here - there is a windows behind me and in the summer I believe the sun shines across the room for an hour or so at sunset. so yeah probably some direct sunlight. Unfortunately I never thought about them fading and I should have. I think there must have been two separate rolled up maps as one of each set is faded half way around and then the edges of the ones underneath that were sticking out from uncurling from the rolled up state. That's the explanation for all of them having fading.
map store 2.JPG

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 am

Just a quick update on this. I have been in communication with "Carrion" on the possibility of formatting the Stalingrad map into something I can print out. Keep your fingers crossed that he can work some digital magic.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:52 pm

I will be watching this for hopefully positive info to come...those maps look really fun.....deadly as well.....
Good Luck in this my friend.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:31 am

A bit of a setback-we were not able to make the low-res JPEGs I found online work. It looked pretty bad blown up to 2"-3".

Curt- Any chance you could find a local copy place like a Kinko's to scan the map you have?