Germany's best tank in AAM?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

RichtervonManthofen

Re: Germany's best tank in AAM?

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:18 am

IMHO its definitely teh PZ IV F2/G - its cheap and puts up quite a punch.

Falcon59

Unread post by Falcon59 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Der Engel wrote:I like to field a mixture of Panzer IVGs with Hetzers. I find that the long range keeps the allies at bay and a hetzer in cover is very tough to knock out. I usually have enough dice with those guys on the weak armored allied tanks and can be competitive in quantity with the prices of the IVG and Hetzer...
I on board with this combo!
I'd change the Hetzer with the Jagdpanzer IV/48 because of the superior frontal armor - in cover this is deadly!
RichtervonManthofen wrote:IMHO its definitely teh PZ IV F2/G - its cheap and puts up quite a punch.
I some times go for the SS Panzer IV F2 because of the Battlefield Awareness and SS Determination - it's a good companion for the Jagdpanzer, it can go out there and forces the enemy tanks to stay in the fight and not flee to cover

I think that my personal all time best would be the Veteran Tiger!
It is very rare that it comes out of the box, but I love to have it on a hill and just keep everything out of my way...
:hidunchair: :tiger:

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Falcon59 wrote:I think that my personal all time best would be the Veteran Tiger!
It is very rare that it comes out of the box, but I love to have it on a hill and just keep everything out of my way...
I seem to remember it didn't seem to help you in our last match and you had 2 of them plus a brummbar :-)

I like the Vet PzIII L, it packs a punch with 13/11/08, it has smoke screen so it can hide or cover an advance, plus it has vet crew so it can still move and not suffer the -1 to attack dice when disrupted. Couple this with defense 5/3 and all this can be yours for only 19 points.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:17 am

Jagdpanzer IV/48, now theres a TD I haven't played much. Its an interesting combo with the SS-Panzer IV. I must try it in my builds sometime for the fun of it. Any particular tactics that you use Falcon? Or mabie I should be asking carrion. :egrin:

I like the Veteran Panzer III swarm also, they can be very nasty. Corey1000 likes to build them in his armies and they have worked pretty good for him.

I find an interesting twist to read about the tank combinations that everyone uses. I would like to hear more but its a thread unto itself so.......http://axisandalliesunderground.com/vie ... f=3&t=1809 & http://axisandalliesunderground.com/vie ... f=3&t=1808
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

NorthernRommel

Unread post by NorthernRommel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:19 am

I have used the Veteran Tiger with a supporting swarm of Panzer IIIs. As Falcon mentioned having a panzerfaust or two to protect the Tiger from being rushed on the flanks helps. Using the Veteran Tiger with Pumas in support is good too if the terrain supports it. These days I prefer the Czech 38 tanks instead of the Panzer IIIs in the support role. The speed makes a difference when you want flankers.

Back in the day I often liked the Flammpanzer and Panzer IV F2 crack shot swarms.

As an aside......

I find German tank combos in AAM tend to be very specific against the primary threat they are designed to deal with. Either Allied Swarms, air attacks, or thick/slow armor support. German tanks work best when distracting the allies armour, and allowing the German infantry to close in and take out the Allied stuff. That is why it is better to out number the Allies in shooting power if you can. Certainly outnumbering the opponent works well against the Germans. Germans are punished for picking Combined arms armies as they always seem to be ten points short of what an Allied player can put together for the same price.

The Allies have too many anti-infantry weapons, which makes it tough for the German player to rely on infantry successes. Allied players do have a plethora of cheap tough tank choices in comparision to the Germans for much less a cost. Matilidas, Churchills, Pershings, and IS2 are a bit too cheap for what they can do. The German players have to go with a mix of tanks, and more guns per price the better. Combined arms for the Allies is far cheaper to set up IMHO. Hetzer/Stug swarms with a bit of firepower to back it up always work well.

If German tanks were represented as historically good against infantry in the game as they were against armour, AAM would play very differently. In AAM the German tanks are too easily taken out in Close Assault, and protecting them is too costly.

Falcon59

Unread post by Falcon59 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 pm

carrion wrote:
Falcon59 wrote:I think that my personal all time best would be the Veteran Tiger!
I seem to remember it didn't seem to help you in our last match and you had 2 of them plus a brummbar :-)
So true - it was a great game that one!
I was truly beaten by the allied superweapon... Anti-tank mines...
carrion wrote:I like the Vet PzIII L, it packs a punch with 13/11/08, it has smoke screen so it can hide or cover an advance, plus it has vet crew so it can still move and not suffer the -1 to attack dice when disrupted. Couple this with defense 5/3 and all this can be yours for only 19 points.
Valid point, but I'd go for the Pz IV G (Early) any day...
AT: 15/13/11 and Extended range 10 at only 3 pts extra = out range + out gun them :slinger;

I guess it depends on terrain and your aggressiv level.
I think the Pz III is to slow to really swam and out flank the enemy. And they don't stand a chance against the infantry...
Just my two cents :angel:

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm

I field mostly pz 4 G's (or F2's if I had them). Tigers are rarely worth the cost unless the enemy has a big tank. I dont have panthers (wish i did). StuG's are another common piece for me to use.