Germany's best tank in AAM?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Germany's best tank in AAM?

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:47 pm

What is Germany's best tank as far as AAM goes? Is it the workhorse Panzer IV with all its variants. Or is it one of the heavily armored tanks like the Tiger or Panther? Your opinion? Is it something you field on a regular basis?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Germany's best tank in AAM?

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:13 pm

P IV has been a favorite, but the Panther is an all around good tank for me when I can afford him.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Do Hetzers count?

bigbake132

Unread post by bigbake132 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbar if you count it as a tank. Every time I've used it, I've never seen it get destroyed. That combined with a panzerschrek/faust in the same hex, no one is safe...

KennyJman
Mod
Mod

Unread post by KennyJman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:52 pm

I was going to say the Panzer IV-G, with the sideskirts. But the more I think about it, I have to say the Panther A. Yeah, its a hair on the pricey side, but you gain an extra armor point, Superior 2, a little more range, a bit more dice and most crucial, that extra movement point. Being able to match speed with most of the Allied armor goes a long, looonng way to keeping alive.

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 am

Yes, I think Germany's best tank is the Panther. It is strong, it has good armor and superior armor 2, and it is fast. The Panzers cost less though, so Germany will be able to afford more.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 am

Stalker6 wrote:Do Hetzers count?
Sure
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:16 am

I am going to say for me its the old historical workhorse of the Panzer Korps the Panzer IV w/ L48. It was basically built throughout the entire war in all its variations and in the most numbers of any German tank of WWII. Its design was used to create the Tiger which accounts for the large number of Pz IV's that were mistakenly ID'ed as Tigers. It fills it AAM role beautifully with the right balance between cost and firepower.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:29 pm

I really like the StuG III Ausf. G. The Panzer IV's are good too, and a Panther is great when you can afford to field one. They tend to absorb all the focus and can allow your Pz IV's or other armour to get in good shots while the Panther takes the heat.
Thank you Rebel!

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Der Engel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:23 am

I like to field a mixture of Panzer IVGs with Hetzers. I find that the long range keeps the allies at bay and a hetzer in cover is very tough to knock out. I usually have enough dice with those guys on the weak armored allied tanks and can be competitive in quantity with the prices of the IVG and Hetzer...