Best (or fav) Allied/Axis infantry unit?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Falcon59

Re: Best (or fav) Allied/Axis infantry unit?

Unread post by Falcon59 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Panzer Commander wrote:
Falcon59 wrote:Japan: SNLF Fanatic - build-in banzai charge and super H2H!
"Built-in banzai charge" - I realize the Fanatic (as "Hard Charger") removes face-up disrupted counters at the end of the movement phase (meaning a defensive-fire disruption has very limited effect), but how does that equate with getting to move AND attack in the same phase? What am I missing?
You are not missing anything :-)
What I mean is that you can charge in the movement phase, and though you may get stopped - it's risk-free.
And if, you get through, you have 12 dice, that give -1 to cover :-)

So of course you don't get "build-in banzai", but it's a great unit for storming the enemy :-)

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm

HTH ignores cover :D

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:57 pm

RichtervonManthofen wrote:HTH ignores cover :D
I know! That's why I'm learning to love the Arisakas, SNLF Fanatics and Gurkhas - quick and easy clean-up of a group of dug-in defenders.

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I really can't imagine a German build without a MG42 in it, unless of course it's before 1942 ;). I really like the MG42, they do a great job covering advances, objectives, or artillery in hexes. They've got Suppressing Fire and can make an number of DF attacks with 10 dice!

As already mentioned I like the SSPG's and Hauptsturms for the Germans.

For the Commonwealth you never can go wrong with Tally Ho!

When using mixed Allied Nations I really like using the EENCO and M1 Garands. Throwing 8 dice up to 6 hexes away can really bring the hurt to someone in the open.
Thank you Rebel!

martin

Unread post by martin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm

I forgot to pick my fav Axis soldier unit and even though I use the MG42 in every German build, I will go with the Japanese mortar for the same reasons as the American mortar, but it has 7 dice at range and Seasoned Crew.

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I think some of the best Allied infantry is in the commonwealth, with the U.S. being a close second. Best Axis stuff is in Germany, I mean they've got SS.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Centurion wrote:I think some of the best Allied infantry is in the commonwealth, with the U.S. being a close second. Best Axis stuff is in Germany, I mean they've got SS.
Waah? Stars and Stripes? Marines? Rangers? SE Paras? I mean, Tally-Ho is nice and all, but . . .

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 am

Panzer Commander wrote:
Centurion wrote:I think some of the best Allied infantry is in the commonwealth, with the U.S. being a close second. Best Axis stuff is in Germany, I mean they've got SS.
Waah? Stars and Stripes? Marines? Rangers? SE Paras? I mean, Tally-Ho is nice and all, but . . .
I think its because the Commonwealth is more defensive in nature, with Steely Resolve 2 for a lot of their units, like NZ inf, Vet. SMLE, and others, and I like to fight defensively. The U.S. is more offensive, no wonder my father like them so much, :ukflag: :nzflag: :auflag: :canflag:
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Centurion wrote:
Panzer Commander wrote:
I think its because the Commonwealth is more defensive in nature, with Steely Resolve 2 for a lot of their units, like NZ inf, Vet. SMLE, and others, and I like to fight defensively. The U.S. is more offensive, no wonder my father like them so much, :ukflag: :nzflag: :auflag: :canflag:
That makes sense. I tend to be a more offensive player, though I do see the value of having units with staying power. When I'm playing Germany, I love the WVI for that very reason. Good offense, good staying power and reasonably priced! But on the other hand, nothing is more fun (to me) than hitting an enemy with a nasty rain of fire from range when he is not expecting it. Pair that Garand with an EENCO (yeah, I know he's Commonwealth), and you get 8 dice at range 6 - pretty nasty!

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Axis MG 42 (of course). Allies I think the Garand Rifle because they have better mid range attack than the mausers.