Historical builds vs Power builds

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Historical builds vs Power builds

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Just wondering how everyone tends to put their builds together?

I'm most often a historical builder building mixed armies based on ToE's almost all the time unless the scenario dictates some other strategy. When I say mixed armies I mean a build with AI armor, AV armor, mix of infantry, ATG's, AA's, armored cars, Indirect fire and etc. I know I have opponents who build power armies exclusively with Elite and veteran units in multiples....and you know my mixed armies have very little problem being competitive against them. I'm 100% sure why they do well but it seems to be something to do with variety giving flexibility. Its like if the tank battle goes bad for you, you always have your bazookas, ATGs and Close assaults to fall back on. Inversely if your opponent goes more soldier with his builds a mixed army built correctly can handle that too.

So whats better to play Power builds or Historical builds?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

martin

Re: Historical builds vs Power builds

Unread post by martin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:42 am

Kind of hard to answer. I've done a lot of power builds and it does get tiring to use the same stuff (SS-panzergrenadiers, etc) over and over. And to go up against the same from the other side.

I am looking at my other "weaker" units and figure I can put together some scenarios, in which I build both armies and keep things more balanced.

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Der Engel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:56 am

I like more historical builds because it feels more "honest"...We had a guy in our gaming group who knew all the strange combos to boost his forces and we were fine with that because it was within the rules and was challenging, but it isn't my style.

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:48 am

I like a variety of SA and things out of the norm for points games. For scenarios I try to plan that players use the lesser units.

On the weekend I played a Allied force of Greeks, Belgians and Brit armour against Germany

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:40 am

I like to play more variety I guess, but that all depends on who I'm going to play against. On the other site I started Club OLIVE and when a "clubhouse game" is called my opponents gives me 3 choices to pick from and I build my armies from 1 of the choices. It's fun because I get to try out new combos that usually wouldn't see the light of day. Some of the fun matches are when I get to pair up minor nations together. During one encounter this was one of the choices-Finland/Hungary/Romania/Slovakia/Italy/Japan and then when I do build my forces I make sure I have at least 1 unit from each nation being represented.

Shameless recruiting tool, I know we don't play as often as we used to but fun none the less. Nothing is stopping us from starting it over again.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about23712.html

check it out.