Easy Eight worth using?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

martin

Easy Eight worth using?

Unread post by martin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:16 pm

So, it is not much more than a M4 Sherman for 34 points. And let us say you are using the revised stats where it only has 5/4 armor instead of the 7/6 it had before.

Would you use the Easy Eight in place of a regular Sherman in a 100/150/200 point build?

(Consider if you had a choice between the E8 and the Vet Sherman, would you use the E8 in a build?)

I suppose for fun, you can build want you want. And it does look good.

But for a bit more competitive play I just do not have any use for the Easy Eight. I prefer to use another Sherman or even the Veteran Sherman and use the points saved to buy more units for the army.

You are getting some special abilities. But really, when you got to make those attack rolls, you are only getting +1/+1/+1 AT for the extra 13 points. You do have AP rounds but that is only once per game, and it is kind of hard to score the two hits required on German tanks (Panther and Tiger, not so much the Panzer IV) at medium and long range.

So, not worth it for me.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Easy Eight worth using?

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am

Thats a hard question. I don't use the E8 a lot, instead the US has lots of other choices I prefer. The revised card is better that the original but still isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on the right solution. But it is a good solid tank that will serve you well.

The exposed transport is great for a Bazooka or ride along Ranger and the AP is awesome when utilized correctly. The base armor is so-so but the Superior Armor 2 is sweet and excellent suspension good also. So it kinda comes down to preference and purpose whether you choose the E8 over another US tank in your builds. Thats all I can tell you.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

martin

Unread post by martin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:18 am

True, it does have 4 good abilities. I guess comparing it to a regular Sherman is a bit unfair because the Sherman is about the best bang for your points tank in the game.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Sadly, during the revision when Transport was changed to Exposed Transport the cost associated didn't go down. So almost every piece with Exposed Transport remained or became too expensive. Alot of positive changes were made to the Easy Eight but it remains too expensive because of Exposed Transport and how the devs costed it during the revision.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol: