12/26/2013

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

dano903
The King
The King

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by dano903 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 am

this does look like fun. any terrain features you had to house rule, or anything you like/disliked for terrain?

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:53 am

:bowty: @ curt:

I finally won a set of both Deluxe ASL map sets #1 and #2 on e-bay. Paid $51.00 and there in mint condition. These are very nice maps for AAM gaming. Thanks for all the help and info curt.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: @ curt:

I finally won a set of both Deluxe ASL map sets #1 and #2 on e-bay. Paid $51.00 and there in mint condition. These are very nice maps for AAM gaming. Thanks for all the help and info curt.
Congrats on the score. Are they the factory mounted boards or just the mapsheets? I know you will enjoy using these, there is no such thing as too many maps for AAM.....:D

Glad I could help you any way possible.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 am

curtm1911 wrote:

Congrats on the score. Are they the factory mounted boards or just the mapsheets? I know you will enjoy using these, there is no such thing as too many maps for AAM.....:D

They are the factory mounted boards. Looking forward to adapting them to AAM.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Locozugmeister wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:

They are the factory mounted boards. Looking forward to adapting them to AAM.

Nice!!! I know you will enjoy using them in games. The Sunken roads make for interesting situations with LOS. I allow LOS down the road & only from adjacent hexes if not on the road. Orchards block LOS through them & are cover terrain. Buildings are LOS blockers only if the LOS touches the building itself, not just the hex, at least when I play on them that is how we use them....:D.......Have fun with them, they are fun maps for AAM.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:47 pm

:bowty: Got a chance to play a game on the Deluxe ASL"Hedgerow Hell" map boards. KennyJ and I played a 200 point German Vs. British match. The name says it all. What a hellish time moving around this set of maps. I made small markers with Objective points (one 10 pt. main & five 2pt. secondary) totaling 20 pts. We used some of curt1911's rules, some of our house rules and AAM rules for how the terrain would effect the game play. I'm going to work on a combined set of rules for these maps so our group and others have something to work with.

The game went into overtime with the Germans squeeking out a victory based on unit points as we both were tied on Objective points. Here's a few pics from the game.
100_2739.JPG
100_2740.JPG
100_2741.JPG
100_2743.JPG

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 pm

That looks like a great battle!!! How did you play the hill terrain, in ASL, it is Level Two elevation. Looking forward to your rules for these boards that combine all the different rules you mention.

Also, since these boards will match up the roads with "Streets of Fire", you can combine countryside with city for another interesting map configuration.

Glad to see someone else with these maps & getting good use of them.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 pm

That looks like a great battle!!! How did you play the hill terrain, in ASL, it is Level Two elevation. Looking forward to your rules for these boards that combine all the different rules you mention.
We decided that that if you’re on the level 2 hill top hex you could not see any hex directly behind a hex that blocked line of sight. Any hex beyond that would be visible with normal lines of sight rules. As I get time to play a few more games on these boards I'll start jotting down ideas and come up with a rule set that we can post, pick apart and, tweak till we have a good working set.
Also, since these boards will match up the roads with "Streets of Fire", you can combine countryside with city for another interesting map configuration.

We're playing a 250 point Berlin 1945 on the "Streets of Fire" set next week.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Do you allow LOS down a "Continuous Slope"? Examples of these are L3/L4/L5: M3/N2/O2: K4/J4/I5. Also, a possible one is K4/J3/I3, depending on if you can see the hex behind the hedge on the I3-J3 hexside. We allow this LOS in our games. These are on Board e.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 am

:bowty: Ok curt, here's my first rough draft for some rules concerning the Deluxe ASL map boards. Please let me know what you think (additions, subtractions and, refinements):

Rules for Deluxe Squad Leader 2 1/4" map boards in AAM Games

This set of rules can be used with the Deluxe Squad Leader 2 ¼ inch map boards “Hedgerow Hell” and “Streets of Fire”. All AAM rules will apply with some changes and additions to make these map boards playable with AAM Miniatures. There are some different terrain hexes on these map boards that need some rules applied or modified to make them playable but, not over complicate the game as we know it. I’ll try to address these rules in hopes we can come up with a good working set.

Multi-levels:
The first idea to address is a rule for multi-level heights. These maps have multi-level buildings and multi-level hills.

Sunken road hexes = -1 level
Normal hexes = level 0
Hill & Building hexes = level 1
Hill & large building hexes = level 2

Each will be explained in the appropriate hex description.

Line of sight:
A small change to the LOS rule regarding buildings is needed for these maps. If you’re LOS goes through a hex containing a building and does not touch the building than you have LOS. LOS is only blocked if it touches the building in the hex.

LOS and multi-levels
Higher levels have LOS over lower levels. The first hex directly behind a lower level hex/obstacle is hidden and may not be seen. All other hexes in the LOS beyond that are visible unless LOS is blocked by another obstacle.

All other AAM LOS rules apply.

Hex Descriptions:

Clear hexes:
Normal AAM rules apply.

Road hexes:
Normal AAM rules apply.

Sunken road hexes:
Sunken road hexes are considered level = -1 hexes.
LOS is only allowed into or out of adjacent level = 0 hexes.
LOS is allowed along adjacent straight sunken road hexes.
Soldiers may enter a sunken road hex from any adjacent hex. Soldiers in a sunken road hex must make a normal movement roll to enter an adjacent level = 1 hex.
Vehicles may only enter and exit sunken road hexes on a road.

Brush hexes:
Normal cover for soldiers only. No cover for vehicles or large guns.

Orchard hexes:
Orchard hexes are a level = 1 hex.
Normal cover when in a Orchard hex.

Woods hexes:
Woods hexes are considered a level = 1 hex. If a woods hex is on a hill hex it adds one level to the hill hex (level = 1 woods on a level = 1 hill is considered a level = 2 hex). All other normal AAM rules apply.

Swamp hexes:
Normal AAM rules apply.

Hill hexes:
Tan hill hexes are a level = 1 hex. Brown hill hexes are a level = 2 hex.
Vehicles may only enter a brown hill hex from a tan hill hex. All other AAM rules apply.

Stone wall hex sides:
Stone wall hex sides do not block LOS and provide cover to soldiers only. Soldiers must make a +1 movement roll to cross over a stone wall.
Wheeled vehicles with high gear ability are +1 movement point to cross.
Tracked vehicles have no penalty to cross.
If a vehicle crosses a stone wall, mark the location where it crosses. This will be considered a breach in the wall. A breach no longer provides cover to soldiers and no longer requires a movement roll for soldiers or a penalty for wheeled vehicles.

Hedge row hex side:
Normal AAM rules apply.
If a vehicle successfully crosses a hedge row hex side, mark the location. This will be considered a breach in the hedge row. This breach no longer provides cover and no longer requires a movement roll.

Building hexes:
Only soldiers may enter a building hex. Vehicles may not enter a building hex.
Soldiers in building (stone & wood) hexes may make a cover roll at -1 against attacks with the bombardment SA.

Wood buildings:
Wood buildings are considered a level = 1 building.
Wood buildings add +1 to cover rolls.

Stone buildings:
Stone buildings that occupy 1 hex are considered a level = 1 building
Stone buildings that occupy multiple hexes are considered to be level = 2 buildings.
Soldiers in a stone building add +1 to their defense and may make normal cover rolls.