12/26/2013

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Mr_Matilda
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by Mr_Matilda » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 am

[Stone wall hex sides:
Stone wall hex sides do not block LOS and provide cover to soldiers only. Soldiers must make a +1 movement roll to cross over a stone wall.
Wheeled vehicles with high gear ability are +1 movement point to cross.
Tracked vehicles have no penalty to cross.
If a vehicle crosses a stone wall, mark the location where it crosses. This will be considered a breach in the wall. A breach no longer provides cover to soldiers and no longer requires a movement roll for soldiers or a penalty for wheeled vehicles.


Hedge row hex side:
Normal AAM rules apply.
If a vehicle successfully crosses a hedge row hex side, mark the location. This will be considered a breach in the hedge row. This breach no longer provides cover and no longer requires a movement roll.]

A couple of things that I would suggest;
First, A stone wall should block LoS for units on the same level as the wall. So LoS will extend into the hex behind the wall but not through.
Wheeled vehicles should have to make a movement roll with a -1 penalty to cross. Imagine a Jeep or lorry ramming a stone wall to try to break through.

Only tracked vehicles may cross hedgerows. Hedgerows can be removed by a specialist vehicle such as the Rhino if it makes a successful movement roll.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Mr_Matilda wrote:[Stone wall hex sides:
Stone wall hex sides do not block LOS and provide cover to soldiers only. Soldiers must make a +1 movement roll to cross over a stone wall.
Wheeled vehicles with high gear ability are +1 movement point to cross.
Tracked vehicles have no penalty to cross.
If a vehicle crosses a stone wall, mark the location where it crosses. This will be considered a breach in the wall. A breach no longer provides cover to soldiers and no longer requires a movement roll for soldiers or a penalty for wheeled vehicles.


Hedge row hex side:
Normal AAM rules apply.
If a vehicle successfully crosses a hedge row hex side, mark the location. This will be considered a breach in the hedge row. This breach no longer provides cover and no longer requires a movement roll.]

A couple of things that I would suggest;
First, A stone wall should block LoS for units on the same level as the wall. So LoS will extend into the hex behind the wall but not through.
Wheeled vehicles should have to make a movement roll with a -1 penalty to cross. Imagine a Jeep or lorry ramming a stone wall to try to break through.

Only tracked vehicles may cross hedgerows. Hedgerows can be removed by a specialist vehicle such as the Rhino if it makes a successful movement roll.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Thanks Mr_M. I like this and will add this to the final draft.
Image

curtm1911
Member
Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:49 pm

@Loco:
Something I remembered from the ASL Rules regarding Multi-hex buildings. A Multi-hex building of only 2 hexes is considered to be a level 0 & level 1 structure with an inherent stairwell in each hex, LOS is allowed from the level 1 to ground level hex. Multi-hex buildings & some single hex buildings with a Square for a center dot are considered a level 2 structure. The hex with the square is the stairwell hex & LOS/level change is only allowed from a higher or lower to the next level in that hex only.

Hope this is of help in creating a ruleset for these boards.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 pm

:bowty: @ curt:

I seem to remember that too from my early days playing ASL. Maybe a change like this:

Stone buildings:
Stone buildings that occupy 1 hex with a small white dot are considered a level = 1 building
Stone buildings that occupy multiple hexes with a large white square are considered to be level = 2 buildings.
Soldiers in a stone building add +1 to their defense and may make normal cover rolls.

In trying to keep it simple enough to work with the regular AAM rules I'm don't think defining stairs is necessary. I may have to create some squares in some of the adjacent hexes in multi-hex buildings to define level = 2 so it's clear. I'll make the appropriate rule changes for the wood buildings also although, there's not that many with level = 2.
Image

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:45 pm

:bowty: @ curt:

Here's what I changed.

Building hexes:
Only soldiers may enter a building hex. Vehicles may not enter a building hex.
Soldiers in building (stone & wood) hexes may make a cover roll at -1 against attacks with the bombardment SA.

Wood buildings:
Wood buildings that occupy a hex with a small white center dot are considered a level = 1 building.
Wood buildings that occupy single or multiple hexes containing a large white center square are considered a level = 2 building.
Wood buildings add +1 to cover rolls.

Stone buildings:
Stone buildings that occupy a hex with a small white center dot are considered a level = 1 building
Stone buildings that occupy single or multiple hexes containing a large white center square are considered to be level = 2 buildings.
Soldiers in a stone building add +1 to their defense and may make normal cover rolls.
Image

curtm1911
Member
Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 pm

@Loco;

Those look quite workable for these boards. I like the -1 cover roll for Bombardment attacks also, it keeps them from being too overpowered on Infantry & makes buildings valuable to control....:D

curtm1911
Member
Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:54 pm

@Loco;

Soldiers in a stone building add +1 to their defense and may make normal cover rolls.

After thinking on this one awhile, is a +1 to Defense maybe a bit on the overpowered side.......5/5 soldiers become 6/6 & that might be a bit too much maybe......perhaps just a +1 to Cover Rolls might keep it realistic.......just my thoughts here is all.

Also something to maybe consider.........can a Stone or Wooden Building be Rubbled with a Destroyed Result with a Defense Number kind of like a vehicle, which would KIA Any & All occupants in that hex........or is this adding too much complexity to this whole thing?

Mr. Matilda;

Those rules look good too, but would Stone Walls also provide Cover for ATG/ART/AA Guns to Fire crossing the side with the Wall? Just curious on this, I think it would be workable though without adding too much complexity to things.

User avatar
FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Posts: 5092
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Contact:

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:09 pm

curtm1911 wrote:After thinking on this one awhile, is a +1 to Defense maybe a bit on the overpowered side.......5/5 soldiers become 6/6 & that might be a bit too much maybe......perhaps just a +1 to Cover Rolls might keep it realistic.......just my thoughts here is all.
I got to agree on your point Curt. 5/5 soldiers are hard enough to kill but 6/6 defense soldiers would be unstoppable. I just remember how hard it is to kill Russian Hero's by defensive fire when the Veteran NCO is adjcent with "Fearless".
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Image

curtm1911
Member
Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:After thinking on this one awhile, is a +1 to Defense maybe a bit on the overpowered side.......5/5 soldiers become 6/6 & that might be a bit too much maybe......perhaps just a +1 to Cover Rolls might keep it realistic.......just my thoughts here is all.
I got to agree on your point Curt. 5/5 soldiers are hard enough to kill but 6/6 defense soldiers would be unstoppable. I just remember how hard it is to kill Russian Hero's by defensive fire when the Veteran NCO is adjcent with "Fearless".

Add to this statement the Marine Seargent with the "Fearless" SA & either Rangers or Screaming Eagle/Defiant Paratroopers as well as the "Resourceful Hero/Inspiring Hero" for the USA/UK. They would be firing Lightning Bolts out their arses...........:D

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: 12/26/2013

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:18 pm

:bowty: No need for lightning bolts. I agree with the +1 to cover for the stone buildings and maybe the same for the Bombardment SA in a stone building. I'll make the changes.

Here's the revision trying to keep the stone buildings a step up from the wood ones:

Building hexes:
Only soldiers may enter a building hex. Vehicles may not enter a building hex.
Soldiers in building (stone & wood) hexes may make a cover roll at -1 against attacks with the bombardment SA.

Wood buildings:
Wood buildings that occupy a hex with a small white center dot are considered a level = 1 building.
Wood buildings that occupy single or multiple hexes containing a large white center square are considered a level = 2 building.
Soldiers in a wood building make normal cover rolls.

Stone buildings:
Stone buildings that occupy a hex with a small white center dot are considered a level = 1 building
Stone buildings that occupy single or multiple hexes containing a large white center square are considered to be level = 2 buildings.
Soldiers in a stone building get +1 to their cover rolls.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest