Let's talk about my recent acquisitions

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

martin

Let's talk about my recent acquisitions

Unread post by martin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:50 am

Let's talk about me! Me! Me! Me! :)

Ok. Bought up a small collection of A&A (land) miniatures. About 100 of version 2.0 and 100 of version 1.0. Plus all the Map sets: Starter, EXP, NA, EF.

So, I have been reading up on version 2 units, looking things up on the expanded database and looking at the minis and cards I got...

Still not convinced that Version 2 was worth buying boosters for, at the time. Sure the vehicles were bigger, but... there were too many repeats, even amongst the later sets. The sets were up to 60 units to collect and the number of rares jumped to 20+. And you were only getting 5 units in a booster.

Sure, the bigger vehicles were nice and the camo on the german tanks was sweet to have, but... the cost of boosters was just too much.

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.

I will be keeping my version 2 stuff though, as I did get a number of tanks I did not even have of version 1. I will have to do up a trade list sometime. Anyone still trade on the forum? (Canada/Nova Scotia)

martin

Re: Let's talk about my recent acquisitions

Unread post by martin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:24 am

Nothing like responding to my own post! :)

Ok, so that was a bit of a rant without me really saying anything about what I got: mostly the second starter set, NA, and a tiny bit of EF. The lot of minis consisted of British, US, German, Italy, Romanian and Finnish. No Soviet Union.

Now, I do understand the need for reprinting everything for the second starter, as it was essentially a re-launch of the game, as well as a up-scaling of vehicles. I did get the proper Spitfire, which was great.

Really glad that AH/WOTC did a North Africa set. I like most of their choices for units, except for the Early Sherman. Seriously, were people clamouring for that? Yes, they were. I was there on the WOTC forums when people cried, whined and bawled that the Sherman should blow up every single time. Well, now your wish is granted. You could get it as a rare. From an expensive booster. And it is the same as the uncommon Sherman. Except that it blows up real easy. So, how about everyone that wanted the Early Sherman trade me your Veteran Tiger for the one I got? :)

I got a Matilda II, which was a tank I wanted to get ever since I first started buying boosters. Also, a Panzer IV Ausf. E, a rare that then became an uncommon in the EF set. (Just a tiny rant there.:) Got one of each. The fighter Aces are a bit unbalancing, in my opinion, at least when the opposing player only has regular planes to field. (But most unbalancing may be the Agility ability of the Spitfire.) I got both the Spitfire and Mess Aces. Tank Commanders looked overpriced, but fun for people to use in the larger tank battles that everyone was doing. I got the Panzer Commander. Also good to see some artillery with Indirect Fire, trucks with transport and machine-guns for US and SU.

For Eastern Front, there was not as much. He had no Soviets. I did get a Finnish StuG III and the Romanian T-4. Also, the unit that I really was pleased with getting, was the Hummel. Nice camo paint job and a German unit that I really wanted to use, especially after the Allies got the M7 Priest in D-Day.

So, just wanted to come on here and talk about my new toys and rant a little. (Just a little. :)

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 am

I assume you missed the flame when people discovered back in the days of 9 unit boosters that the scale of vehicles was

a) wrong
and
b) inconsistent

Then came V2 and all those issues were null and void ;)

I must admit I like to play with a consisten scale (i.e. 15mm) and have traded away my older stuff and traded in the new scale (did a BIGGG swap with a guy who had a load of V2 and wanted V1, so the only cost for replacing was a one time shipping cost.

I also was quite set up when the pieces per box dropped, but I admit that was only a minor issue.

Number of rares per box is the same, so I view the cost of the box is the cost of the rare, UC/C are "bonus" if I buy a box.

As I usually bought by the case I had a good chance to get a sizeable number of all UC/C - The few UC/C I really needed above that number I got by singles buys and trades.

The "Drop" in rarity numbers only happened with a few pieces, that was bad, but well I admit I no longer thing about it

If I need a Pz IV I buy a fewe PSoC units :D

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:01 am

WoTC really dropped the ball and lost customers when they went to 15mm. I have a feeling with the odd scale the the V1 mini's were at it was more expensive to manufacture them as opposed to the more standard 15mm scale models. I still play with all my mini's, there are just too many good V1 units that were not rescaled to quit using them. The duplications in then V2 sets were likely an attempt to attract other players to start playing without WoTC loosing their business to ebay vendors once the V1 sets were out of stock.

I liked the eastern front set but it was for the vehicles that were in the set. NA was a great set with lots of great pieces and some new stuff like trucks.

I have quite a bit of USA, UK and German stuff for sale that I picked up buying large lots on ebay. I mostly sell minis but if you have some good units for trade we may be able to work a trade. Post something in the trades section and we can see what can be done. You may want to jump into our "round robin" mini exchange and get rid of some of your stuff and acquire some new stuff. I just move the thread too AAM General discussions.

Our week-end game plans that I was hoping to invite you to didn't materialize this summer due to busy schedules and etc. Mabie we can get together for a game or two in the future.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

martin

Unread post by martin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:28 am

I just had to rant a little, so now I got it out of my system. :)

Maybe you guys will have to make it down to Hal-con next year. Or maybe I will make it up there.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 am

martin wrote: Maybe you guys will have to make it down to Hal-con next year.
That sounds interesting! When and where?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:47 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
martin wrote: Maybe you guys will have to make it down to Hal-con next year.
That sounds interesting! When and where?

yeah...what he said!

martin

Unread post by martin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:51 am

Hal-con is in Halifax, NS and runs for a weekend in November.