What have you been doing Martin? Why thanks for asking...

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

martin

What have you been doing Martin? Why thanks for asking...

Unread post by martin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:09 am

Well, finally got a plow round to my road three days after the storm on Sunday. Yeah, how is the rest of the East Coast doing?

On Saturday,t he day before, did a bit of C&C Napoleonics with a new guy in town and he sold me about 200 AAM. Mostly V1 with a small amount of V2.

Yeah, got my minis sorted out into trays. I know, someday, I will get around to making a trade list. Like to post it here first, to give you guys on this nice forum first crack.

Anyway, any new scenarios or such gaming going on?

I developed a Villers-Bocage scenario where Germany has 80 pts made up of a Tiger I and some infantry and UK has 120 pts of 4 Cromvells, two Universal Carriers, and a bit of infantry. Uses one of the map setups from the Expansion Pack. The one with a road the length of it and a town on one end of it. Two maps. The objective is the town and the German player sets up on that map side. Scenario setup is the UK has to set up first and Cromwells do not get their Vanguard ability. Play for 7 turns, standard stuff.

Sort of just trying to do something based on Wittman's ambush of British Tanks on the road to Villers-Bocage. Playtested it twice and the UK player won both. 4 Cromwells can overpower the Tiger in the game.

Yeah, that about it lately.

RichtervonManthofen

Re: What have you been doing Martin? Why thanks for asking..

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 am

ITs more likely a 50% point advantage helps the Cromwells. ;)

BTW Why didn't you sign up for round robin V2?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 pm

We started playing AAM using the Tides of Iron cardboard 2inch maps. Its been a real fun change from the WotC maps with some different terrains and new look. We did a 41 desert scenario last week on the desert maps which was fun.

The current scenario we are perfecting is one where we have to invade the opponents starting area and defend our own starting area. We count points each casulty phase of undamaged vehicles in your opponents area. This means you have to build an army that can invade and defend both. The builds are based on a ratio of 300 points for vehicles and 50 points for soldier/artillery. The starting area comprises roughly 1/3 of the total area of the map, so there is a no-mans land of roughly 1/3 between the two armies and is basicly a three hex deep mountain range that bisects the map in half. We were going to play it tonight but with this game Alpha testing going on every evening until the 23rd its going to have to wait until next week.

If you are emulating the Whitman battle you will also need some Canadian Shermans because the latest research suggests it was likely a 75mm Canadian Sherman V that delivered the lethal shot on Whitmans Tiger from the rear. :D
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

martin

Unread post by martin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Richter,

Yeah, the extra 40 pts probably helps the Allies. But I was doing the other scenario option from the first rulebook where it is an attacker/defender setup, so the points are 100/80. Or maybe I am misremembering. Maybe give the Germans 20 more points. The games were close though. The Cromwells usually were destroyed or damaged which made it easy for the soldiers to close assault them.

FM Ober,

Tides of Iron maps...sounds interesting. I always wondered about using maps from other boardgames, now that boardgaming has really taken off and there is a lot of good production wwii games-in-a-box.