research question unit markings?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

pfclt

research question unit markings?

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:12 am

I'm looking for unit markings that would be loosely historically correct to put on my 7.5cm PaK 40/4 auf Raupenschlepper Ost Selbstfahrlafette.

On this site I found this information:
14 each to Army Panzer Jager Abteilungen 743 and 744 (Can't find what division or even if these are Panzer Units.)
14 to 18th Panzergrenadier Division
7 to 1st Ski-Jager Brigade
doesn't say where the other 11 went.

Can anybody let me know what those unit markings are or looked like? Or any other units these 7.5cm PaK 40/4 auf Raupenschlepper's may have been assigned to?

I see very few markings on pictures of these vehicles - so I could go without - but it would be nice to have some markings.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: research question unit markings?

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:36 am

THis book will likely have the info you require: http://www.sound-bm.com/en/nutsbolts-17 ... t-rso.html

Free download of the book here: http://www.usenetreg.com/file.php?q=mag ... html&act=h

Translation here: https://translate.google.com/
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks Ober -

something else to sign up for ....... Blahhhhhhhhhhh. It's that or buy it ----- right!!!

When I get a chance - I'll give it a shot. I hope it has something- I ran across some citing's of that book, but they never give divisional info just subunit -- like "Panzer Jager Abteilungen" or assigned to Flakpanzer unit such and such. But I won't know till I look -- right?

One place on the internet said army group north (think that was ski jager), one said center - think that was 743 - 744 and one place said it was 751& 752 abteilungen units And then in the article I cited - trials with Army Group South. - conflicting or unclear info - annoying! I'll let you know if and/or when I get something. I have one more thing to check - then if nothing - I'll give the download a try.

Again thanks.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:57 pm

pfclt wrote:Thanks Ober -

something else to sign up for ....... Blahhhhhhhhhhh. It's that or buy it ----- right!!!

When I get a chance - I'll give it a shot. I hope it has something- I ran across some citing's of that book, but they never give divisional info just subunit -- like "Panzer Jager Abteilungen" or assigned to Flakpanzer unit such and such. But I won't know till I look -- right?

One place on the internet said army group north (think that was ski jager), one said center - think that was 743 - 744 and one place said it was 751& 752 abteilungen units And then in the article I cited - trials with Army Group South. - conflicting or unclear info - annoying! I'll let you know if and/or when I get something. I have one more thing to check - then if nothing - I'll give the download a try.

Again thanks.
I have a special email account for sign-ups like that. You never have to worry about getting your regular email account spammed.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 am

I just went to download and they want credit card/paypal info - so I'm going to pass. Did a google search and sounds like using paypal is the safest method as you can cancel it after from paypal but tends to be almost impossible otherwise ..... I don't want to get into that.

I'll probably end up making some kind of a guess on my unit markings -- if I put any on.

I did find this here If this would give anybody a clue - I haven't looked into it yet..............

743:
3 Nov 43 formed in Russia by Ninth Army, Army Group Center, from Stab, 1., 2., 3./Pz.Jg.Abt. 36 and remnants of Pz.Jg.Abt. 321
28 Feb 44 1./ with 6x 75mm Pak 40 (mot. Z), XXXXI Panzer Corps, 9th Army, Army Group Center, Bobruisk

15 Oct 43 formed in Russia by Second Army, Army Group Center, from Stab, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 137, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 292, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 251

751:
1 Nov 43 formed in Russia by Sixteenth Army, Army Group North from Stab, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 12, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 32, 1./Pz.Jg.Abt. 122
1 Sep 44 3 Pak 40 mounted on RSO
7 May 45 18th Army, Army Group Kurland

1 Oct 43 formed in Russia by Eighteenth Army, Army Group North, from Stab/Schnelle-Abt. 196, 1. from 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 24, 2. from 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. 132, 3. from 1./Schnelle-Abt. 196
10 Jan 44 headquarters replaced by Stab/Pz.Jg.Abt. 290
16 Jan 44 III SS-Panzer Corps, 18th Army, Army Group North
1 Sep 44 8 Pak 40 mounted on RSO
[Newton: Oct 44 3rd Panzer Army, Army Group North, Courland Pocket]

Thanks

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 am

I'm thinking to keep it accurate just choose the unit you are reasonably sure of and make those decals. That way the likelihood of an error is minimized.
~Gen. G.S. Patton