Map

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Map

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I have this map, the hexes are one inch. It is the old Advanced Squad Leader module "Red Barricades". It is two sheets. How can we, the gaming community, get it enlarged somehow? It is said to be the Red Barricades factory & river landing from German aerial photos in Stalingrad.

It is a neat map, I'd like to see it used if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
002.jpg

Stalker6

Re: Map

Unread post by Stalker6 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 pm

How big is this map?

If I could find a pdf or jpeg file of it, I can probably print it out with a larger hex size. However, expanding the 1" hexes to 2-3" hexes will create a very, very large map from the looks of things.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm

With the current map you have, it might lend itself to the 10m rules developed for the Historic Battlefront maps.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Looking at the posted picture, using the top as North, it is 31 inches north to south & 45 1/2 east to west. I already figured it would be big, possibly 4 sheets instead of just 2. It has bombed buildings, interior walls, the ravines, wood & stone rubble, light & heavy, shellholes aplenty. It would be brutal fun for sure. :t34: :tiger:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:32 pm

Interesting map. I hope you can get it rescaled to at least two inch hexes. I might want a copy.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:23 pm

:bowty: I'd be in for a copy if it can be worked out. Great looking map.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Stalker6 wrote:How big is this map?

If I could find a pdf or jpeg file of it, I can probably print it out with a larger hex size. However, expanding the 1" hexes to 2-3" hexes will create a very, very large map from the looks of things.
You would need a digital scan of the map for you to plot it, right?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:23 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
Stalker6 wrote:How big is this map?

You would need a digital scan of the map for you to plot it, right?
Right. However, with the dimensions Curt gave, doubling the hex size would result in a map that is approximately 5' x8'.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Yes, it would be about that size. Perhaps in four sections...just an idea.

Couple questions & possible hurdle;

Stalker6,
Would it help to have the map in hand?
The possible hurdle is this is/was copyrighted material, Avalon Hill, Advanced Squad Leader.
If this could be done fairly cheaply, I'd like a copy & the originals back.

How does this sound!

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 am

I don't think having the actual map would be helpful, I don't have a scanner that big.

Copyright issues- I don't think I would run into any problems as long as I am not charging a profit for these, cost of material only.

I will look around online and see if I can find a digital version of this map. I might need someone like Carrion to use some editing software to break it up into three or four sections for printing.