15mm WWII Miniature Alternatives

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Pletch

15mm WWII Miniature Alternatives

Unread post by Pletch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 am

In general you can't beat AAM for affordability, relative quality, and selection. However, sometimes there's that one piece you have to have and you can't wait for WOTC to make it.

I thought it would be cool to make a list of the 15mm WWII Miniature Alternatives which could be used to supplement your AAM collection. Also if you have experience with a particular manufacturer perhaps you could let us know what you think of their products. As people add manufacturers, I'll try to update the list and if possible provide a link to their site.

List of 15mm WWII Miniature Prodcuers
Flames of War by Battlefront
Gaming Models
Command Decision (15mm) by Old Glory
Art of Tactic by Zvezda
Plastic Soldier Company
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: 15mm WWII Miniature Alternatives

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:03 am

OMG. That gaming models link was awesome. Theres stuff in there I seriously want. Prepainted and economical considering the price of a booster now days.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:22 am

My experience with Gaming Models
My first order:
LVT-II
Sherman V
sIG 33 auf Panzer I
Hetzer
Citroen Truck

They promised they'd arrive in two-three weeks and they made good on that so there's a plus from them. Also my package was sent USPS Priority Mail and everything was packaged extremely well. I did not have any broken bits.

I saw on forumini some people complain of the models being "brittle". I don't know if my models were just cast better but they certainly weren't brittle. They are made of a hard plastic resin. The surface texture is rough as opposed to the smooth plastic finish of the AAM models. There certainly isn't the sort of "give" to the barrels that some AAM models have. The plus side to this is I suspect you're less likely to end up with "banana" barrels. However, this does make them more likely to snap under pressure (I don't know who puts their miniatures under the sort of pressure that would be required to break a barrel...) I'm not going to test this, but perhaps a good fall from a table to a hard surface would snap a barrel.

The paint jobs aren't anything to write about, but they aren't any different from what's shown on the website. They provide monochrome paint jobs. Quite frankly it's just great they paint them so I don't have to. I might revisit some of the paint jobs but they're not so bad as to warrant an immediate repaint.

The killer for me is size compatibility. In general I found them to be too small. The Sherman V compared to the Sherman VC (AAM) was too short. The Panzer I chassis of the sIG 33 was too short and too narrow when compared to a Panzer I (AAM). Oddly enough it might be a better match for the V1 pieces as the original sIG 33 was too wide. The Hetzer compared to the 38(t) (AAM) look decently sized from above. However, the tracks of the Hetzer are too short and too wide when compared to the 38(t) (AAM). The LVT-II is also a little short when compared to an LVT-1(A) (same chassis). The French Citroen truck might also be a little small too, but since I have nothing to compare it to directly and it looks just fine next to other trucks I think we have a winner there.

For my second purchase I picked up a couple more LVTs and Citroen Trucks. I also bought a Daihatsu Landing Barge which I am very pleased with. I have a feeling in the future I will be ordering more landing craft!

So generally I found their models a little on the smallish side. Still I see this as a good place to get some artillery tractors, landing craft and trucks we're unlikely to see in AAM anytime soon.
Attachments
Battle 011.jpg
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Battle 010.jpg
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Battle 009.jpg
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Battle 007.jpg
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Battle 005.jpg
Battle 002.jpg
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Battle001.jpg

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I see what you mean about the paint. Basicly looks like a simple ink wash, nothing remarkable. I like the sculps though. They look well done. Have you painted any of yours?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

No I haven't repainted any. The paint jobs they have in those pictures are the ones they came to me with.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I am green with envy hearing about all these minis your group is introducing to the game table. So what have you acquired for extras?
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Extras?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Pletch wrote:Extras?
You know. Supplementry units added to AAM. :)
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am

I have several Flames of War pieces I use for AAM. The upsides are they're very detailed, there are lots of models they have that are unavailable in AAM (especially artillery), solidly 15mm scale, and they're hefty (I know this is a weird one, but it just feels cool when you pick up your Panther and there's some weight to it! Makes you feel like "Yeah, this tank is bad-ass."). The models are made of a combination of metal pieces and hard plastic resin.

The downsides are you have to assemble and paint them and they're more expensive than the average AAM rare. This is sort of the short version, but I think most of us are pretty familiar with FoW.

So, if you like modeling, painting and getting the chance to "personalize" your army, adding a couple FoW pieces could be a good fit. On the other hand if you hate painting and assembling agonizingly small pieces, probably ought to avoid it.

One other thing, Battlefront is really good about putting cool articles on their site (shockingly they support their product). So it's worth checking in from time to time just to read some of the history stuff.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Added Command Decision by Old Glory today. I haven't ever purchased one of their models, though they seem to have an extensive product line.

Anyone have any experiences with Command Decision miniatures?