Platoon 4: Elite Stug G, Stug G, P204
44%
Platoon 5: Tiger I
6%

Total votes: 18

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Whats your fancy

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 pm

This is a just for fun thread on the subject of building German Panzer Platoons. I will list a bunch of platoons that cost roughly the same as a Tiger I and you choose the one you would most like to play. You will still have the option of choosing the Tiger I if you wish.

Platoon 1:
(1) Pz IV, G Early [22pts]
(1) Marder III, M [17 pts] speed = 1 when disrupted
(1) Bren 731e [12pts]

Platoon 2:
(1) Panther, A [37pts]
(1) Elite Pz IV, D [18pts] Crack shot

Platoon 3:
(1) SS-Pz IV, F2 [27 pts] Moves while disrupted
(1) Pz III L Veteran [19pts]
(1) Panzerjager I [9pts]

Platoon: 4
(1) Elite Stug G [27pts]
(1) Stug III G [19pts]
(1) Panzersparwagen P204(f) [10pts]

Platoon: 5
(1) Tiger [56pts]

please post your fancy and why it would work for you.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pilgrimtone

Re: Whats your fancy

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Gotta love those Panthers :D

Wardog314

Unread post by Wardog314 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:14 am

Tiger alone isn't enough and the stugs have no turrets. Can't choose those. This one has fire power and has enough mobility. Panthers are good.

joebunda

Unread post by joebunda » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 am

Tough choice between 2 and 4. Love the Panther, but the lack of turrets on the StuGs is merely an annoyance that requires a bit more thought in your tactics. In the end, #4 wins with 2 shots nearly identical to #2 with the P204 as a bonus (great little AC...funny that a French unit is better than the best German AC).

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 am

I've recently fallen in love with the Elite Stug G. It's a pure and innocent love...anyway Crack Shot against vehicles is a lot of fun. The other guys are just a bonus.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 am

I picked the one with the Panther. Panthers don't have the strongest armor, but why would they need it with their extended range and powerful gun? They can cut down anything that comes at them. Except the IS-2 Veteran! I'd like to see that happen.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:45 am

joebunda wrote:Tough choice between 2 and 4. Love the Panther, but the lack of turrets on the StuGs is merely an annoyance that requires a bit more thought in your tactics. In the end, #4 wins with 2 shots nearly identical to #2 with the P204 as a bonus (great little AC...funny that a French unit is better than the best German AC).

I'll go with Joe here. And the odds of hitting with the elite stug against armor I think (if my chart is correct) better then with the Tiger. But then you have a second shot with that second Stug. And the 204 is there to watch their back.............

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Well almost everybody picked the Panther or Elite Stug platoons. I'm not really that suprised as they are both great units to play. Interestingly enough one of the platoons that wasn't picked was one of my favorite combo's.

What I am interested in knowing is why platoon 1 & 3 weren't an option. What made then less effective than the others?

Platoon 1:
(1) Pz IV, G Early [22pts]
(1) Marder III, M [17 pts] speed = 1 when disrupted
(1) Bren 731e [12pts]
(This platoon has good firepower and mobility)

Platoon 3:
(1) SS-Pz IV, F2 [27 pts] Moves while disrupted
(1) Pz III L Veteran [19pts]
(1) Panzerjager I [9pts]
(This platoon has an SS and a Veteran tank as well as a good rear shot coup-de-gras Panzerjager)
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:40 pm

For 1, I'd say my concern was with the relatively low armor values of the group, along with the Pzjr Bren. I've found it to be a hard unit to get good results from mostly cause of its very limited range.

For 3, I avoided it mostly because I feel as though SS Determination is an overcosted ability. The other two combinations were just more "points efficient".
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am

I had to go with the Panther as well. something in the mid-range price, but more than one unit. with ust one unit, EVREYBODY can focus on you. at least with one other unit, there's a chance to block a flank.