View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Whats your fancy 

Whats your fancy
Platoon 1: Pz IV G, Marder III, Bren 731e 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Platoon 2: Panther A, Elite Pz IV D 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Platoon 3: SS-Pz IV F, Pz III L, Panzerjager I 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Platoon 4: Elite Stug G, Stug G, P204 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Platoon 5: Tiger I 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Whats your fancy 
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
This is a just for fun thread on the subject of building German Panzer Platoons. I will list a bunch of platoons that cost roughly the same as a Tiger I and you choose the one you would most like to play. You will still have the option of choosing the Tiger I if you wish.

Platoon 1:
(1) Pz IV, G Early [22pts]
(1) Marder III, M [17 pts] speed = 1 when disrupted
(1) Bren 731e [12pts]

Platoon 2:
(1) Panther, A [37pts]
(1) Elite Pz IV, D [18pts] Crack shot

Platoon 3:
(1) SS-Pz IV, F2 [27 pts] Moves while disrupted
(1) Pz III L Veteran [19pts]
(1) Panzerjager I [9pts]

Platoon: 4
(1) Elite Stug G [27pts]
(1) Stug III G [19pts]
(1) Panzersparwagen P204(f) [10pts]

Platoon: 5
(1) Tiger [56pts]

please post your fancy and why it would work for you.

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

Gotta love those Panthers :D

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Tiger alone isn't enough and the stugs have no turrets. Can't choose those. This one has fire power and has enough mobility. Panthers are good.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:14 am

Tough choice between 2 and 4. Love the Panther, but the lack of turrets on the StuGs is merely an annoyance that requires a bit more thought in your tactics. In the end, #4 wins with 2 shots nearly identical to #2 with the P204 as a bonus (great little AC...funny that a French unit is better than the best German AC).

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 am

I've recently fallen in love with the Elite Stug G. It's a pure and innocent love...anyway Crack Shot against vehicles is a lot of fun. The other guys are just a bonus.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 am

I picked the one with the Panther. Panthers don't have the strongest armor, but why would they need it with their extended range and powerful gun? They can cut down anything that comes at them. Except the IS-2 Veteran! I'd like to see that happen.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 am

joebunda wrote:
Tough choice between 2 and 4. Love the Panther, but the lack of turrets on the StuGs is merely an annoyance that requires a bit more thought in your tactics. In the end, #4 wins with 2 shots nearly identical to #2 with the P204 as a bonus (great little AC...funny that a French unit is better than the best German AC).

I'll go with Joe here. And the odds of hitting with the elite stug against armor I think (if my chart is correct) better then with the Tiger. But then you have a second shot with that second Stug. And the 204 is there to watch their back.............

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:45 am
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Well almost everybody picked the Panther or Elite Stug platoons. I'm not really that suprised as they are both great units to play. Interestingly enough one of the platoons that wasn't picked was one of my favorite combo's.

What I am interested in knowing is why platoon 1 & 3 weren't an option. What made then less effective than the others?

Platoon 1:
(1) Pz IV, G Early [22pts]
(1) Marder III, M [17 pts] speed = 1 when disrupted
(1) Bren 731e [12pts]
(This platoon has good firepower and mobility)

Platoon 3:
(1) SS-Pz IV, F2 [27 pts] Moves while disrupted
(1) Pz III L Veteran [19pts]
(1) Panzerjager I [9pts]
(This platoon has an SS and a Veteran tank as well as a good rear shot coup-de-gras Panzerjager)

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile WWW

For 1, I'd say my concern was with the relatively low armor values of the group, along with the Pzjr Bren. I've found it to be a hard unit to get good results from mostly cause of its very limited range.

For 3, I avoided it mostly because I feel as though SS Determination is an overcosted ability. The other two combinations were just more "points efficient".

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:40 pm
The King
The King

I had to go with the Panther as well. something in the mid-range price, but more than one unit. with ust one unit, EVREYBODY can focus on you. at least with one other unit, there's a chance to block a flank.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next