AAM Units database released

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: AAM Units database released

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:46 pm

The unit types were an idea the web designer had and we had in the original version. Unfortunately they were too different from WotC's types so we dropped it. Some of the those types still exist in the dbase and will be changed over the next week. We are still working out the text formats on the cards because we added the ability to add a unit image to each card. So thats why some cards don't adhere to the normal convention.

I wouldn't bother listing the unit type errors but anything else you see would be appreciated. It really wasn't ready for release but because of the bad WotC news I thought everyone could use a little pick-me-up and something else to focus on while Wotc gets things straightened out. We will consider any suggestions for players also.

@ Pilgrimtone - I appreciate your feedback and don't worry about criticism. Its the only way we can make this the best we can make it. And please don't stop posting your card sets as they are a great resource also.

Cheers
Ober
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:28 pm

FieldMarshall wrote:Pilgrimtone - I appreciate your feedback and don't worry about criticism. Its the only way we can make this the best we can make it. And please don't stop posting your card sets as they are a great resource also.

Cheers
Ober
I think I will change mine to a Database of my groups house rules, with the appropiate SA changes.
Your Database is too good to compete with! :lol: :party:
( I may steal one nations cards though to use :D )

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:16 am

It has been added to the Forumini Goldmine, a great honor for a great resource!
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:22 am

Rebel wrote:It has been added to the Forumini Goldmine, a great honor for a great resource!
Your kidding? right.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:37 am

Nope, he wasn't kidding. Wow! I never ever thought it would end up in the AAM showcase.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:05 am

Would it be possible for a picture of the unit to appear as well, with the card? That would make it useful for online games and f2f alike!
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:14 am

Sorry for inconsistencies in the database. I chose it as it was easy for me to import into database, but it turned out to have be in bad shape. pfclt made it usable (thanx man! :wink: ). Criticism will only make it better so don't worry about that :D

It is possible do add picture and a card back (just click submit on empty fields and it will return all units, on the right side is card back link). As all is machine generated all kind of things can happen, broken names, text going all over to the bottom and other weird stuff. But since this way we get all the cards ready to print and play insted of months of scanning, cutting, uploading of real cards and their data, I think its a worthy tradeoff ;)

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Rebel wrote:Would it be possible for a picture of the unit to appear as well, with the card? That would make it useful for online games and f2f alike!
Its already set-up to include pics on the front or on the back in flavor text. A few of the cards do have pics already and it is our plan to add them over time. With 500+ units to add pics to compiling all the pics we need might be a good forum project. Between everything else I love to do here I only have so much time but we can work away at them. There is also a pic and flavor text that can be added to the card backs, check out the PPsh-41 in the db. So any member that wants to submit flavor text and a Photo for the card back for his favorite units, can do so.

Cheers
~Gen. G.S. Patton

mmarfox

Unread post by mmarfox » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 pm

The database is amazing and highly useful. Thanks for that bit work guys

I play lots of games, and I make lots of builds. I will be using this database primarily for build making. So, the only thing I would suggest making available to help in build making would be allow for ranges of year availability. As it is now, you can only choose one year at a time. If you're playing 1943, I would like an option to show all that was available through 1943. I don't know how feasible this is, but it is a suggestion.

Again, great job.

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I think pictures on the cards would certainly help, especially a beginner, but WWII pictures can be misleading, eg; Blackshirt, the picture shows a man standing up straight, the mini is crouching, why not just put a picture of the miniature on?