Dragon_Hunter's AAM unit list.

Introduce yourself to the community here.
Dragon_Hunter22

Dragon_Hunter's AAM unit list.

Unread post by Dragon_Hunter22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 am

*Note: So, I am new here (Hi everybody) and I was looking for a place to post my first topic. I saw this sub-forum, and thought it looked appropriate. If it is not, I apologize, and feel free to remove it.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but not to this wargame. I first started AAM back when the 1939-1941 set was released, still remember picking up the starter at borders. I had a few other friends that played it first, and after a few games of using their pieces I decided to pick up my own. Bought a few cheap reinforcements off of Strikezone Online, mainly light tanks and whatnot for $20 more. Having played with toy soldiers as kids, this seemed like a natural progression. I remember the game being fun, and easy to pick up and play. However, the game eventually picked up dust and fell into misuse as me and my friends moved into Warhammer 40,000. And now, 4 years later, I am at college, away from my 40k friends. So, I tried to find people to pick up the game and play, but they found it to difficult and long. Initially disappointed, I found out about the game World of Tanks, and, being a Treadhead, loved it. So, something about playing that game got me re-interested in World War Two, and I remembered about a cool little game that I played in my youth. Axis And Allies, Miniatures.

My current plan is to 'corrupt' the members of a gamer group that I am in, and get some of them to enjoy wargaming, starting with this game. I figured that this would be perfect for just that, as it is simple, easy to learn, and fast paced (everything 40k is not). Eventually I plan to organize and run a 40k group, but first I need a starting point, so why not this game!

I recently decided to reinvest into this game, and bought 350 points worth of units, mainly infantry because the small force I have at home is too tank heavy. I also went and got the Expanded Rules with its maps, and the Eastern Front Map Guide. I am also looking for another copy of the 1939-1945 starter, but those seem to have become very scarce, as well as the North Africa maps.

So, this being a profile post, why not post a list of units I have:
My Detachment:
Infantry: (X total)
-Officers: (9 total)
*2 Greek Officers
*2 Vigilant Lieutenant
*2 Stalwart Lieutenant
*2 Eagle-Eyed NCO
*1 “Red Devil” Captain
-Infantry: (30(-1) total)
*4 Greek Mountain Infantry (veteran)
*1 New Zealand Infantry (veteran)
*2 Wehrmacht Veteran Infantry (Veteran)
*4 Greek Soldiers
*2 Free French Infantry
*3 Fucile Modelo 1891 Infantry
*2 MAS 7.5mm Rifle
*1 Canadian Infantrymen (Model lost, i just have the card =(. )
*1 Bazooka Infantry
*1 M1 Garand Rifle
*1 Panzerfaust Infantry
*1 Mauser Kar 98k Infantry
*2 Type 99 LMG
*4 MG 42 Machine Gun Team
*1 Vickers Machine Gun Team
-Spotters: (6 total)
*2 Red Army Forward Observer
*1 FO Jeep
*3 Disciplined Spotter
-Anti Air Guns: (1 total)
*1 Quad 50
-Field Guns: (8 total)
*1 M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle
*5 2-Pounder Anti-Tank Gun
*2 wz.36 37mm ATG
-Artillery: (12 total)
*2 Nebelwerfer 42
*1 Canon De 75 Modele 1897
*3 Canonne Da 75/27 Modello 11
*4 M8 75mm Pack Howitzer
*2 82mm PM-37 Mortar
Vehicles: (Y total)
-Transports: (3 total)
*2 ZIS-5 3 Ton
*1 M3 Half-Track
-Armored Cars: (14 total)
*6 Panhard et Levassor P 178
*2 Panzerspahwagen 204(f)
*5 Morris Reconnaissance Car Mrk 2
*1 M8 "Greyhound"
-Light Tanks (2 total)
*1 Panzer III Ausf. F Tank
*1 Type 2 Ka-Mi Amphibious Tank
-Tank Destroyers: (4 total)
*1 StuG III Ausf. D Tank
*1 Marder III Ausf. M
*1 Archer
*1 Jagdpanzer IV/70
-Medium Tanks: (6 total)
*2 Cromwell IV Tank
*1 T-34/76 Tank
*2 M4A1 Sherman Tank
*1 Sherman VC 17-Pounder
-Early Heavy Tanks: (4 total)
*1 Char B1-bis
*2 Valentine VI
*1 Matilda II
-Modern Heavy Tanks: (1 total)
*1 Centurion A41
-Planes: (5 total)
*2 Messerschmitt Me110
*1 Junkers JU 87G Stuka
*F4U Corsair
*1 Gloster Meteor

I am happy to have gotten a Centurion, as I love the modern look of the model, and the tactical aspect of it. Most people view the rear armor of the Centurion as a crippling flaw. I however, view it as an advantage. The lighter rear armor means the unit can be more mobile, and also that brings the overall cost down. It also means you need to play smart, as the tank requires skill to use, and you can't jut drive it all over the field and feel invincible. I also feel the same way about the Panzer IV, with the 5/3 armor, and hope to acquire at least two of those to bolster my force of medium tanks. Also, more AA guns will be needed to protect the flanks of the tanks from greedy Aircraft, and make defensive fire attacks against the foolish. I also hope to acquire some long range field guns, and some cheap ones as well, to fill out the ranks of my poor infantry anti-tank force. The French Panhard is also a desirable piece of equipment, having decent stats, and more importantly, costs usually around 75 cents. Next time I find a decent amount of them for a cheap price, I will snatch as many as I can. I purchased the Me110's because they were only $5 each, while other aircraft were listed at two to four times that number.

So, enough about that, what does the community think? I am excited to hear, and to respond to your ideas. What do you think I should get next? What are some effective lists? What are some good tactics to use? I'm all ears.

TL;DR:

I am new here, and am saying hello. My list of units is posted above. Begin Conversing.
Last edited by Dragon_Hunter22 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Re: New Here

Unread post by Der Engel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:07 am

Welcome! Sounds like you have an excellent (and well-organized) force! It is cool that you are recruiting new folks into the game and keeping it going.

One of the more fun versions that we used to play with our local gaming group (when we were just starting out and didn't have enough pieces for a full-on nation on nation battle) was axis vs. allies and have a battle royale between ANY allied pieces vs. ANY axis pieces. It was a fun way to combine special abilities and made games fun and diverse until we amassed more pieces.

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:26 am

welcome to the forum, A&AM is such a good game, you can also use "extra" rules like we do in our group, one rule is for antitank guns, if it doesnt fire or move for the whole turn and it is in cover, then it gets "concealed" and cannot be targeted for attack at medium or long ranges until it fires or moves again.
you seem a bit light on Artillery, I have some spares if you want them then pm me your address and i will send some to you, my dad was given units by kind forum members and he always said "What goes around, comes around, so pass on the love" :D

Dragon_Hunter22

Unread post by Dragon_Hunter22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Der Engel wrote:Welcome! Sounds like you have an excellent (and well-organized) force! It is cool that you are recruiting new folks into the game and keeping it going.

One of the more fun versions that we used to play with our local gaming group (when we were just starting out and didn't have enough pieces for a full-on nation on nation battle) was axis vs. allies and have a battle royale between ANY allied pieces vs. ANY axis pieces. It was a fun way to combine special abilities and made games fun and diverse until we amassed more pieces.
Yeah, that's pretty much the only way I know how to play this game so far, as neither me or my old friends have collected enough pieces to play a single nation, and sometimes, we would have Panzers and Shermans fighting on the same side, as we pit our collection (150ts) agents theirs. While my collection seems heavily favored for the Allies, it is most likely that because the starter set contained 3 excellent allied tanks, and one mediocre axis tank. And while the Axis infantry was defiantly superior, Infantry don't hold up against tanks well. (Plus, for some reason, most of the Allied singles seemed cheaper than the Axis singles :wink: ) And while I bought $20 worth of singles, my friend bought 4-5 boosters, of both 1939-1945 and the brand new (at the time) North Africa Set. So while I had a few tanks, a Sherman Firefly, a AA gun, and a jet, he ended up with many medium tanks, lots of infantry, 2 planes, and a King Tiger as well as a Pershing. So most of our games involved my units pitted against half his collection, usually a Heavy Tank and a swarm of infantry.
pilgrimtone wrote: welcome to the forum, A&AM is such a good game, you can also use "extra" rules like we do in our group, one rule is for antitank guns, if it doesnt fire or move for the whole turn and it is in cover, then it gets "concealed" and cannot be targeted for attack at medium or long ranges until it fires or moves again.
you seem a bit light on Artillery, I have some spares if you want them then pm me your address and i will send some to you, my dad was given units by kind forum members and he always said "What goes around, comes around, so pass on the love"
Well, previously having only a mortar and no spotters, and now having 2 mortars, 1 multiple rocket launcher, and 4 howitzers with 6 spotters seems like a lot. Then again, I have yet to test this, and just might have to take you up on that offer, :).

However, what does appear lacking to me is Anti-Air units, Air support, Field Guns, Light Tanks, and Medium Tanks. Hopefully that will change in the near future! :D

Also, I will keep editing the first posts list of units as my collection grows, so people don't need to scroll down to the bottom and last post every time there is an update.

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm

PM sent

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Welcome to the Party. It is a fun place to escape from the rigors of the Real World from time to time & a Great bunch of folks here as well. Also, best of Luck in getting new gamers into this wonderful fun game that we, at least myself, will be lifelong players.

Scub
Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis

Unread post by Scub » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm

you've come to the right place. :D
this small community is a pleasant, informative and inspiring place to be, welcome!
Google Translate
I am from Norway, Bear with me !! ;-)

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png

Dragon_Hunter22

Unread post by Dragon_Hunter22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Thank you for the warm welcoming everyone. And I think I already have a few people interested in the game, and by the end of the week hopefully there will be some games. I will post the results in a few days, and how many people I can sway into the web! :D

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

:bowty: Welcome DH22,

Glad you came to join us here at the Underground. I think you'll find this an excellent place to grow your knowledge of the game as well as having some fun. Please check out some of the threads as we're doing what ever we can to promote the AAM game, modeling new pieces and scenery and introducing some new pieces to the game to expand on what all of us here enjoy so much. Hope you enjoy yourself as much as we all do. You will also find that a little bit of humor goes along way here too.

Cheers,

Locozugmeister

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Welcome, you have a nice collection that I have no doubt will be expanding :D

I know your pain of recruiting players. Funny thing is this is a pretty easy game to play comparatively but those not interested in WWII or wargames may not have the patience for that initial investment. If finding players continues to be a problem you can always get an online match going. Not nearly as fun or fast as face to face but better than not playing at all!
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]