New member Mummra

Introduce yourself to the community here.
Mummra

New member Mummra

Unread post by Mummra » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:52 am

Well I seem to have no courtesies to my behavior, I just barge into your forum and never bother to introduce myself. I am from Minnesota.

I just started into miniatures and have only been working to get enough together so a few friends and I can have a few options in how we create our armies. So far I have only been able to play 1 game of WAS and nothing else yet. I am collecting bits for all 3 sets though. I like WAS but most of my friends will be a bit more interested in the original land based. Right now my WAS is at 65 pieces or so. original AAM 140 pieces, and Air is around 25 pieces. These are all a mix of stuff for all expansions and sets.

I choose to start into miniatures because I am a bit tired of the no real human interaction and limited scope of most video games. With board/tabletop/card games we can always make a few house rules.

I am not the type to set-up historical battles and follow a rigid set of rules to re-enact history, for me this is just a game to be manipulate for fun.

I have considered getting into the other miniatures mainly for their higher quality, but that takes more time for the painting. I may get into some of the other WWII miniatures, but first I want to make sure the additional time those take will as well have a few players in my area.

I would like to get into doing terrain and 3d maps while still keeping them portable, but first I need to learn the game so if I do start making other stuff it works well with the game and keeps it fun.

Other projects I am into are photography, building model wood sailing ships, paintball, woodworking, plus a few dozen others as time is available.

To answer Dano, I am wanted in no US controlled areas, but the US rarely extradites their citizens to the places that might or might not be asking where I am. I currently work with someone from Ohio. Good guy so far could you check his warrants for me?

Ask me anything you might want to, except about Singapore. By the way I did my 6 year sentence and got a honorable discharge from the Navy.

Mummra

Re: New member Mummra

Unread post by Mummra » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:57 am

make the WAS collection 122 pieces

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 am

:bowty: Welcome mummra. I'm Loco the resident "paint Nazi". I do alot of custom minis and repaints as well as scratch building in the land game. Another good Mid-western player. I'm just below you in Iowa. We have a group of players here in Waterloo and we do venture into the Northern regions to game with member carrion. Look around and enjoy.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:11 am

Welcome again! thank you for the introduction...it's always great to hear about new members. I think you'll enjoy getting involved here. I'm the other guy in the painting and modelling section. I use to play the land game, but mostly into terrain building for 3D AAM gaming. I did include some items that might help a little, but with time I might be able to assist a bit further.

please ask any questions about the 3D terrain stuff...there's a few of us that post in that section. I also have my "secret list" of suppliers etc. to help save a bit of money some times.

We'll catch you on the forum!

dan

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:09 am

Welcome to the party Mummra, always glad to see other "Dry Siders" find their way to the forum. The people here are a Great bunch of folks always willing to give advice regarding the game & if you hang around long enough, they will probably draw you into painting, terrain building & just give you reasons to keep coming back for more of whatever it is that is going on here.

Thank You for Your Service.

Good Luck in your getting friends involved in this madness....send them by, we will take good care of them & you as well.
As for getting into painting minis, Lcoo is the Man....if you try it you will probaly find it to be addicting as much as the game itself....I speak from my own experience here....tried my hand at painting for the Painting Fair awhile back thanks to Ober for the Sexton that year, dano for some Russian KV's & some encouragement in terrain creation & the hook was set....lol....it is actually fun to paint vehicles now, dabble at terrain & seeing the end product on the gaming table just adds to the fun of this Madness.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:15 am

Welcome Mummra

I am the local (?) European Outpost for this forum ;)

from your introduction I would say you make an excellent addition to the "customs" brigade which is active here.

If you want to expand your colletion you might put up a tradelist: list your surplus units (not much yet I assume) and units you would like to get...

If you start to model I assume you could trade away some of your custum made units/terrain for a sizeable amount of "standard" stuff ;)

There are events on this forum which allows you to aquire additional units...

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Mummra wrote:Well I seem to have no courtesies to my behavior, I just barge into your forum and never bother to introduce myself. I am from Minnesota.

I just started into miniatures and have only been working to get enough together so a few friends and I can have a few options in how we create our armies. So far I have only been able to play 1 game of WAS and nothing else yet. I am collecting bits for all 3 sets though. I like WAS but most of my friends will be a bit more interested in the original land based. Right now my WAS is at 65 pieces or so. original AAM 140 pieces, and Air is around 25 pieces. These are all a mix of stuff for all expansions and sets.

I choose to start into miniatures because I am a bit tired of the no real human interaction and limited scope of most video games. With board/tabletop/card games we can always make a few house rules.

I am not the type to set-up historical battles and follow a rigid set of rules to re-enact history, for me this is just a game to be manipulate for fun.

I have considered getting into the other miniatures mainly for their higher quality, but that takes more time for the painting. I may get into some of the other WWII miniatures, but first I want to make sure the additional time those take will as well have a few players in my area.

I would like to get into doing terrain and 3d maps while still keeping them portable, but first I need to learn the game so if I do start making other stuff it works well with the game and keeps it fun.

Other projects I am into are photography, building model wood sailing ships, paintball, woodworking, plus a few dozen others as time is available.

To answer Dano, I am wanted in no US controlled areas, but the US rarely extradites their citizens to the places that might or might not be asking where I am. I currently work with someone from Ohio. Good guy so far could you check his warrants for me?

Ask me anything you might want to, except about Singapore. By the way I did my 6 year sentence and got a honorable discharge from the Navy.
Welcome to playing mini's, its a ton of fun, you won't regret the change. One of the great things about WotCs mini games is that the rules are flexible and easily changed to suit the type of game played. So if you simply want to scrimmage or play strict historical battles the rules can accommodate either play style.

Many of us now use 3d terrain simply to spruce up the game most of have been playing since its release in 2005. Danos terrain isn't difficult to use or set-up and if this game catches on for you its likely something you may want to get into in the future. I find a lot of Danos terrains ends up being really cool objective hexes for matches.

The core of this forum centers around painting minis and creating terrain. I think with few exceptions basicly everyone here is into the hobby side of wargaming also. We would love to see pics of some of your ships. Do you still have paints and brushes? The reason why I ask is if I send you mini's from the auction I can also include a starter set of paint, brushes and a mini, that is if your interested.

My Bio. I'm a long term wargamer from eastern Canada, founder of the forums along with my good friend Dano. Loco joined us soon after the start and rounds out the painting section with his amazing works of art. Myself and Sismis created the AAM card database/ Army Builder a few years back, although I'm sure you have found it already, here is a link: http://www.aamcardbase.com/search_AAM.aspx

Feel free to ask any questions about gameplay and rules in any of the games. Sometimes new games can be daunting so don't be shy about asking anything you need to know about these games.

There is another outstanding minis forum (http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php) that many of us belong to. Like us, they are slowing down too, but you will find different players and lots of great stuff over there.

Again welcome, please make yourself at home, were glad you could join us.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Welcome aboard Mummra -
Great group of people hang out here who are into these games/modeling.

I'm just one of the members who contributes a little here and there..... As curt said - it can be an addictive place at times.
Enjoy!

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:19 am

Welcome aboard,

As soon as time clears up I will send another PM so we can get together and go a few rounds. I will try and get the other player I know in your area to join us as well. Always good to have new players join the fold.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:46 pm

carrion wrote:Welcome aboard,

As soon as time clears up I will send another PM so we can get together and go a few rounds. I will try and get the other player I know in your area to join us as well. Always good to have new players join the fold.
You guys are from the same neck of the woods.....thats great!

Mummra you won't need to come here to ask for rules clarifications, you will be playing with the guy I go to for my clarifications. :D Your in good hands.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton