Group figure painting 101

Moderator: dano903

pfclt

Re: Group figure painting 101

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 am

What scale are we working in here - 15mm is the general scale we work around here but does this carry any weight in the project - or should I say: does scale matter? It seems the 15mm would be tough to create much in the way of shading or does this weigh much in our task. Will this be part of the lesson? Or does the covering of our surface figure in the scales we work in? Maybe I'm trying to ask does scale figure in our figure???? I don't know - Maybe you can answer something here...... I'm thinking about skin tone mostly.....

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:40 am

pfclt wrote:What scale are we working in here - 15mm is the general scale we work around here but does this carry any weight in the project - or should I say: does scale matter? It seems the 15mm would be tough to create much in the way of shading or does this weigh much in our task. Will this be part of the lesson? Or does the covering of our surface figure in the scales we work in? Maybe I'm trying to ask does scale figure in our figure???? I don't know - Maybe you can answer something here...... I'm thinking about skin tone mostly.....
:bowty: I hope I can answer your question here pfclt. The scale I'll be working in will be 15mm figures. These are figures I use to make new game pieces for AAM. I can also help with other scales as I have painted figures in 1/35th scale and 1/18th scale. If you have questions about skin tone shading I can answer that for larger scales. In 15mm I will cover that issue as the class goes along. Here's a couple examples of 54mm scale metal figures I painted as a commission job a few years ago. These figures are from Colorado Miniatures.
Jeb Stuart
100_1035.JPG
Robert E. Lee
100_0990.JPG

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Very nice........ thanks......

OK - on shading I'll see where the class goes. I have some 15mm wargame factory pieces I'll use.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Yea, I agree pfc, he's got it covered! :bowty:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:47 pm

:bowty: Good day class. I'll add a little more to this tutorial with a look at the figures and paint. The figures I'll be painting for this tutorial will be from the Plastic Soldier Co. range. I have one each (left to right) of German, British, American and, Russian. This will give a nice range of colors as well as some different detail painting on the equipment molded on each individual figure.

You will want to wash your figures gently to remove any mold release from them. I use a very mild mixture of dish soap/water and an old tooth brush. This will help you get into some of the deeper recessed areas on the figure. Give the figures a gentle scrubbing and a luke warm rinse then set your figures aside to dry.

The first thing I do with my figures is decide if I want the molded base on them or not. Some of the PSCo. figures come with an oval shaped base that dosn't match the AAM figure bases (I prefer the round black base to match the other figures in the game but, that's just me). I carefully trim the base from the figure with an exacto knife. Later I'll add a base to the figure. I'll cover this more later. Next step I do with any figure this size is to mount it on something you can hold while painting. I use small finishing nails for mine. I use a very tiny drop of Super Glue to hold my figure on the nail. I also have a block of Balsa wood that I set the nails in when painting. This is a nice way to primer multiple figures at a time.
100_2731.JPG
My next step is to prime my figures. I use Krylon gray primer. I have good results with this brand. There are many brands out there so, use what ever works best for you.
100_2734.JPG
Here's the figures primed and ready to paint.
100_2735.JPG
As for paints, there are many brands and kinds to choose from. I prefer water based Acrylic paints. I like the ability to thin the paint and clean brushes with water. Here is a sample of some of the brands I prefer.
100_2733.JPG
I like the Vallejo and Testors Model Master paints the best. I have found that most of the craft paints you can find at Hobby Lobby or, any craft store work very well also. These have a very wide range of color shades to choose from (and much cheeper too).

Next time I'll start the painting techniques I use for my figures. Any questions, please ask. I'll try to get to them as trains, snow and, cold permit. Till then, Class dismissed.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm

:bowty: Good morning class.

This next step will be the base uniform coat for your figures. I paint my entire figure in the uniform color I've chossen for the specific figure's nationalty. There are many different shades for the colors so use what ever you would like that fits what you want. The reason I do this is it makes it easier to touch up any paint spots that occure during the detail painting. For this step you'll need to use the larger brush. While painting the base coat make sure you look your figure over carefully (left, right, top and, bottom) for any spots you might have missed and touch them up. Place you figures to dry. This is the easiest step in figure painting. I'll start into the detail painting next session. Any questions, please ask. Class dismissed.

Here are some examples:

German figure with base of Vallejo 920-German uniform
100_2745.JPG
British/Canadian figure with a base of Vallejo 921-English uniform
100_2746.JPG
US figure with a base of Vallejo 884-Stone Gray (this fig. will have the light jacket and brown pants)
100_2747.JPG
Russian figure with a base of Vallejo 924-Russian uniform
100_2744.JPG

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:13 am

:bowty: One thing that will help you with your painting is any referances you find. I really like the referances that FoW has in reguards to there figures. I found these and thought I'd post them. They have referances to Vallejo paint names and numbers which are most of the basic colors used.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png