Blackwashing tutorial

Moderator: dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Blackwashing tutorial

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm

You don't have to remove it all and you can get a dirty look. Thats what I was aiming for on the Char B1 I did last week. Just waiting for the decals to arrive.

Before wash - shiny and crisp
IMG_4456.JPG
After wash - The sooty look.
IMG_4466.JPG
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

I have used Vallejo black wash and created my own with Tempera paint and each time I dilute it with water it dries to a grey color rather then dark or black. I have tried to change the water (tap, filtered, bottled, etc) and nothing seems to have prevented this. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Ober - that Char 1bis is just beautiful...

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Stalker6 wrote:I have used Vallejo black wash and created my own with Tempera paint and each time I dilute it with water it dries to a grey color rather then dark or black. I have tried to change the water (tap, filtered, bottled, etc) and nothing seems to have prevented this. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
:bowty: @ Stalker6:
You could try a different brand of Temper paint or change your mixture. Maybe try a 1/2 & 1/2 mix with the water. What I'm using in the tutorial is how it works best for me. It's a matter of trying different ratios and looking for a mix that works best for you.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

RichtervonManthofen wrote:Honestly - I like the "dirty" look - it reminds me of my car :roll: - the cleaned up version seems to be a tank fresh from the assembly row ;)
:bowty: I know what your saying. Winter here in Iowa makes ones car look real nasty after the salt and sand from the roads get to it. You can alter the look of a mini by how much wash you wish to take off. I go for the depth and highlight that it gives. After dry brushing and Dullcote it will tone down the paint a little.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:09 am

:bowty: Well class, I have finished removing some of the blackwash from the hull of my Panther. You'll notice that some of the wash has remained in the recessed areas while, some has remained around the raised areas. This is what you want to accomplish.
100_2455.JPG
100_2456.JPG
100_2457.JPG
100_2458.JPG
After this I removed some of the wash from the wheels. This step is done the same as the others. On wheels with a center hub I like to brush the wash as I'm removing it towards the center. This will allow the remaining wash to build up around the center hubs.
100_2459.JPG
100_2460.JPG
This pretty much finishes the blackwashing on the Panther. I'm trying something on the tracks that I tried on my early Tiger. I'm not going to remove any wash from them. I just lightly painted the raised cleats with Gun Metal paint. I think this gives the tracks a more pronounced and dirty look.
100_2462.JPG
100_2461.JPG
Well class, in this tutorial we went from this:
100_2439.JPG
To this:
100_2462.JPG
The last thing to do after your happy with your wash is to give your mini a coat of Testers Dullcote to seal up the wash and everything you've done so far. I'll try to do a short tutorial on dry brushing which is the next and final step to a finished mini.

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:49 pm

I think I've said this before, but one day I'm going to sent up my tent in a local park or your back yard and attend a week long course with you to learn some of these skills. Thanks for posting the process here.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Audacity wrote:I think I've said this before, but one day I'm going to sent up my tent in a local park or your back yard and attend a week long course with you to learn some of these skills. Thanks for posting the process here.
:bowty: The door is always open. If I can help in any way just ask.