Blackwashing tutorial

Moderator: dano903

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Blackwashing tutorial

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 pm

:bowty: Good day class,

This will be a tutorial on how I do the blackwashing on my minis. I'll go step-by-step and answer any questions anybody has along the way. This class will involve much homework so, prepare yourself accordingly.

The first thing I'd like to share is the items you'll need to accomplish these tasks ahead. I use basic Black Temper paint that can be purchased at any craft store fairly cheep. You'll also need a small sealable container or, jar to mix your wash in and, a medium to large soft bristle brush to apply your wash.
100_2433.JPG
Homework assignment #1 - Prepairing the mini you wish to blackwash.

Any mini can have a blackwash done to it. The first thing is to make sure you have any decals applied that you want. Then spray the mini with a coat of Tester's Dullcote (this is what I have used for years and seems to work the best). Set the mini aside to dry for about an hour.

This is a PSCo. Panther mini that I will be blackwashing through this tutorial. It has been decaled and sprayed with Dullcote.
100_2439.JPG

Homework assignment #2 - Mixing the wash.

The first thing is mixing up your wash. Shake up the paint and fill a small jar 1/3 of the way with Temper paint. Then fill it the rest of the way (not quite to the top) with water. Then add 1 small drop of liquid dish soap. This small drop of dish soap will help break up the elasticity of the water and allow your wash to flow better into the recessed areas.
After you have it mixed seal the container and shake it up real good. You will have to stir or shake this mix once in a while as your using it and, before each use after sitting as the paint will settle in the bottom.

I'll continue this later in the week as I get a little more done and pics of my project to post.

Class dismissed.

Tripwire

Re: Blackwashing tutorial

Unread post by Tripwire » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 am

This is EXACTLY the kind of class I need.
I always have a hard time getting the blackwash to look right.
Thanks.
Keep teaching . . .

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 am

I need this too, but I'll need to take the second semester class. Not much time for paint this week.

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:10 pm

... and he stops when it gets really interested :D

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

:bowty: Sorry sismis, the Railroad keeps blocking my crossing of fun :roll: . I have the next class pictures done and will try to post them along with more tutorial tonight if I get home at a decient time. Otherwise, tomorrow.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Let's start a lottery thread. We all pitch in money to win big...then retire.

I.m almost serious about this

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

I've placed my order for some decals for the Kv-1 I painted. Once those arrive I'll be ready to follow this thread!
Thank you Rebel!

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 am

:bowty: Ok class here we go with the next step in blackwashing.

Once you have you wash mixed it's time to start applying it to your mini. This will be a rather slow process as you have to apply your wash to one side at a time, letting it dry before going to the next side. I started with the top of my Panther. When you start to apply your wash dip your brush in to your wash and wipe it gently once on the container side. You want as much wash on the brush as it will hold without dripping all over your work space. Apply this to the mini in small areas with gentle light strokes of the brush. Make sure that the wash gets into all the recessed areas. Continue with this until you have the entire surface covered. Double check after your done for any missed spots and dab some more wash on as needed. Don't be afraid to cover the surface well. You'll no doubt think to yourself "what is this nut making me do to my mini" but, trust me it will all come out fine. After your done let this side dry completely before you go on to the next side.
100_2440.JPG
Once this side has dried completely go on to the next side you want to do and repeate the process. Try to keep the side your doing flat so the wash will build up in the recessed areas and dry there. In some hard to reach places you'll find that you'll need to dab the wash on.
100_2443.JPG
100_2444.JPG
I'll continue on with the next step as I have time between work and post more pics. If anybody has any questions please ask.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm

:bowty: Let's continue on with our blackwashing.

Your mini should look like a real mess right about now but, this is what you want it to look like at this stage. The next step will be removing most of the blackwash from the flat surfaces.
100_2449.JPG
100_2450.JPG
You'll need a good absorbant paper towel for this lesson and some clean water. This part of the tutorial will also eat up some time as the process involves rewetting the blackwash and then using your brush to draw some of the blackwash off the flat surfaces of the mini. This step is best done on one small area or section at a time and letting it dry before moving on to the next area.

Start with wetting your brush with water. Not so much to drip all over but, what ever the brush will hold. Pick the area you wish to start with and apply the water as if your painting that area. Brush it back and forth gently until the blackwash starts to turn back to liquid. Once this is done touch the tip of your brush to your paper towel and let it draw out the water and blackwash your brush has in it. Dip your brush into some clean water and then touch it to the paper towel again. Now start going back over the area you just wetted allowing your brush to draw up some more wash off the flat surface. As you first start do this wipe the wet wash over any recessed areas that you want the wash to build up in. Then as you progress avoid the recessed areas as this is where you want the wash to remain. I did just the turret on my panther to show the differance once you remove some of the wash.
100_2451.JPG
100_2452.JPG
100_2453.JPG
Continue on with the rest of your mini in this fashon until all the wash you want is removed. The best thing about this Temper Paint wash is, it doesn't matter if the wash is dry it will turn back to liquid with water and, if you don't like how it looks in the end you can go back and rewash a section.

I'll post some more of the Panther as I get it done. As usual, if there are any questions I'll be happy to help the best I can.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 am

Honestly - I like the "dirty" look - it reminds me of my car :roll: - the cleaned up version seems to be a tank fresh from the assembly row ;)