Group figure painting 101

Moderator: dano903

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Group figure painting 101

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm

:bowty: This is our page for the figure painting class. Please feel free to ask or, let me know some of the things you'd like me to cover in class.

I'm sorry Ober but, you'll have to ditch the Humbrol paints for this one. You'll just have to ask mommy to buy you the good stuff for this. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!! :whip:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Group figure painting 101

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Locozugmeister wrote::
I'm sorry Ober but, you'll have to ditch the Humbrol paints for this one. You'll just have to ask mommy to buy you the good stuff for this. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!! :whip:
So just relabeling them Vellajo isn't the same?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
So vellajo is the preferred medium?

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:10 am

pfclt wrote:
FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
So vellajo is the preferred medium?
you should leave Ober alone about Humbrol. I know he takes pride in his paint...almost as much as the 8 track stereo.

Gunther
Location: Hasslehoff; Ober's bumbling Kubelwagen driver. Adolph's nephew and the Undergrounds Village Idiot.

Unread post by Gunther » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 pm

OOO, finger painting.....count me in!

~Message sent from the Kubelnet 2014/02/22
A Sherman tank could knock out 5 Kubelwagens, but the Germans always had 6.
~Monty

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:42 pm

:bowty: Greetings class of aspiring painters of miniature madness (you too Gunther).

I'll start this class by saying that I'm not an authoritive figure on miniature painting. What I'll show you is my way of painting figures that I've learned over the years through trial and error. There's no set way to paint figures. You will fine many techniques along the way that suit your taste, by all means experiment as you go. I'll try to answer any questions you have as best as I can.

The first thing I'll go over is brushes. There are many good manufactures for these. I purchase my brushes at the local Hobby Lobby. Any local art store should have a selection. You want to find soft bristle brushes. This helps the paint flow off the brush and leaves less chance for streaking in the paint. The better brushes will be a bit pricy (the ones I use run between $5 and $10) but well worth it in the long run. You'll need at least one larger brush for the base color painting and some small ones for the details. You also need to make sure your small brushes are "Round Tip" brushes or "Spotters" which work best for the small detail painting. Here's a sample of the main brushes I use for figure painting.
100_2722.JPG
From top to bottom I have:
#0 - For base color painting
#10/0 - for larger details
#18/0 - for smaller details
#20/0 "
Insane detailer - for very fine details
(For you Gunther - Index, middle and, pinky.......and... I don't want to see you pointing your middle finger at anybody either)

No matter what kind of brushes you have taking care of them is important. It helps them last longer and makes your painting a little easier. I use only water base acrylic paint (I'll talk more about this later) which is the best for clean up and less wear and tear on the brushes. Most brushes will come with a small plastic tube to protect the bristles. Keep this on your brushes when not in use.

In my next post I'll talk more about brush care and paints. Till then, if you have any questions please ask. I'll try to answer best I can.

Class dismissed.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:44 pm

YO TEACH! I don't see a brush!!! Is like an "airbrush"...something you can't see??? (you know, like AIR guitar!!) :lol:

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:05 pm

dano903 wrote:YO TEACH! I don't see a brush!!! Is like an "airbrush"...something you can't see??? (you know, like AIR guitar!!) :lol:
:bowty: You starting already Dano? I know your just trying to get my bristles up, mister I have to use an airbrush to get an airbrush effect! :roll:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Locozugmeister wrote:
dano903 wrote:YO TEACH! I don't see a brush!!! Is like an "airbrush"...something you can't see??? (you know, like AIR guitar!!) :lol:
:bowty: You starting already Dano? I know your just trying to get my bristles up, mister I have to use an airbrush to get an airbrush effect! :roll:

SORRY! I was late to class, and didn't see the pix from the earlier post. Gunther didn't give me the notes from the first 10 minutes.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:31 pm

whoa!! whoa!! whoa!!!

DOES EVERYONE HAVE SOMETHING TO PAINT??? I have some FoW pieces I can send you to paint. PM your address.

thanks!

dano

p.s. sorry for the interruption!