AAM Group Project - Mini painting 101

Moderator: dano903

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: AAM Group Project - Mini painting 101

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

:bowty: Hello Class, As you might have noticed I have been absent from class for a couple weeks. We will resume normal class next week after I am finished with some details that needed attending to so, be ready to start finishing your projects.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Great!!! I don't need another note!

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

:bowty: Good day class,

Now that Spring break is over it's time to resume work on our projects. I'm going to assume everybodys decals are done and dry so, we'll move on to the "Blackwash" step. This is the next step to add "depth" to the finish of your model.

I use regular Black temper paint that I buy at my local Hobby-Lobby store. I'm sure any Art supply store will carry this. It's not expensive and 1 bottle goes along way.

First off you need to spray your model with a coat of matt or dull finish and let that dry. Next, mix your wash. I use a small glass jar with a lid so I can save the mixed batch.

Mix:
1/4 temper paint
3/4 distilled water (we have very hard water here)
1 drop of liquid dish soap (breaks the elasticity of the water)

When applying the wash I do one side at a time and let that dry first and then go on the next side. Apply the wash freely to the model making sure the wash gets into all the low spots. Don't worry if it looks like a mess at this point we'll clean this up later after the entire model is washed.
100_1929.JPG
100_1930.JPG
Next week we will finish the wash step and get ready to do some "dry brushing" to make the details stand out.
If you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to help. Now, go out and face the model.

:bowty: Class dismissed.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

:bowty: Good Morning Class,

We'll get right to business today as I have a couple StuH 42s that need some decaling.

In the last class we started the Blackwash on our model, today we will finish this step and move on to the Drybrushing.
After the Blackwash has dried your model will look filthy as showen below.
100_1930.JPG

We're going to clean this up now.
In this step you will need some clean water and a few papertowels. This step will also be done in sections as with the Blackwashing, one side at a time.

Start by getting your brush wet with water. Working from top to bottom, brush water on to the model. This will get the Blackwash wet again. Once you have the wash wet, dab your brush on the papertowel to remove excess water and lightly go back over the smooth flat areas on your model to pick up any excess water and wash. This will clean up the large flat surfaces and allow the remaining wash to pool around the raised surfaces and low spots.
100_1940.JPG
Do this to the complete model letting each area dry before moving on to the next. If you have any spots that are a little thick with wash you can adjust as you go to suit your taste. If you remove to much wash you can always go back and rewash the area and repeat the steps till you have the look you want.

:bowty: It's recess time class. We'll continue with "drybrushing" when we get back.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 am

Citadel paints were on sale for half price at my LGS so I bought several colors of blackwash. I got green, brown and black and can't wait to try them out.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

The washes work nice. Just enough color, but not too much. They hide a few mistakes, and look natural, rather than something painted on.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:46 pm

dano903 wrote:The washes work nice. Just enough color, but not too much. They hide a few mistakes, and look natural, rather than something painted on.
I was having trouble getting the homemade paint wash off without removing the paint on the sharp corners. I am hoping this stuff will come off easier and blend in better. Depending on what color the base paint is will decide which color wash I use as a wash. Thats what Mrs Ober says anyways and we all know who the real Field marshall is. :wink:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

:bowty: Let me know how the washes turn out Ober. I've never used the pre-made ones before.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

The truck repaints and the Nashorn are done and I am having trouble deciding what to do next. I want to try camouflage but I'm not sure of the the colors and how to make the edges of the stripes blend and look realistic. A tutorial someday would be cool.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 am

:bowty: Well work on the camo painting in the near future.