Platoon Building area

Post and discuss building armies and platoons

Moderator: curtm1911

Centurion

Platoon Building area

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 am

I was looking to start building platoons for some fun that we could play and even make templates for, like AH ones. I also wanted to know what the formula for them point-wise is. I was planning on this being a place to tweak and edit them. The final version can be posted in a separate thread once they're completed.

EDIT: Here's the formula I thought up, I'm putting it hear for easy access.

01-10 points = -2 points
11-20 points = -3 points
21-30 points = -4 points
31-40 points = -5 points
41-50 points = -6 points
51-60 points = -7 points
61-80 points = -8 points
81-100 points = -10 points

The company I'm trying to build now is a U.S. Recon Detachment. Here is what I have:

2x M1 Garand (8pts)
1x Red Devil Captain (7pts)
1x Bazooka (4pts)
1x Mortar M2 (6pts)
1x M5 Halftrack (7pts)
1x M3A1 Scout Car (7pts)

39pts, cheaper than the Soviet Recon Element.

P.S. I know there is already one of these but one with newer units is in order I believe.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Platoon Building area

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

The Greyhound would work nicely in a similar platoon but its so expensive you would have to drop the transport. A Ranger would be a handy tool in the platoon also.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm

So I would need to drop something, either the two Garands or the Mortar M2. What do you think? I don't think a think a platoon can be much over 40pts. To be honest I think a platoon should be under 20, a company under 40. This is just for mainly infantry or mixed formations. Artillery I'd up the points by 10 for each type of formations, and armor add 30 more points.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Didn't the old AH platoons give you a discounted price on the package? I.e., you could use the platoon for price X, which was a lower point total than if you assembled the pieces individually? I don't have my Expanded Rules handy, but that's what I recall. If memory serves, then by that logic, you should be able to drop the price from 39 down to 30 or something like that. I think the idea was to encourage play with more realistic formations that, otherwise, would be cost-prohibitive to field.

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:20 pm

I don't own the expanded rules so I wouldn't know, but I'll do some calculations and find out, expect a formula of some sort by the end of the week.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Centurion wrote:So I would need to drop something, either the two Garands or the Mortar M2. What do you think? I don't think a think a platoon can be much over 40pts. To be honest I think a platoon should be under 20, a company under 40. This is just for mainly infantry or mixed formations. Artillery I'd up the points by 10 for each type of formations, and armor add 30 more points.
Keep the Garands and drop the mortar. The M1's are good against infantry and have a close assault against vehicles where the Mortar lacks the CA.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm

OK, I dug up my copy of the Expanded Rules & here are some of the platoons & point costs:

Allied Formations:

U.S. Infantry Platoon-17pts.
1x Red Devil Capt.
2x M1 Garand
1x Bazooka
1x BAR Gunner

Bought separately point total 23pts., a 6 pt. savings.

Canadian Infantry Platoon-18pts.
1x EENCO
3x Canadian Infantry
1x Entrenched ATG

Bought separately point total 23pts., a 5 pt. savings

UK Infantry Platoon-21pts.
1x Inspiring Lt.
2x SMLE
1x Vickers MG
1x BREN Gunner

Bought separately point total 29 pts. an 8 pt. savings

Soviet Union Infantry Platoon-16 pts.
1x Commissar
4x Mosin-Nagant 1891/30
1x Degtyarev DP-27

Bought separately point total 21 pts. a 5 pt. savings

Axis formations:

German Infantry Platoon-20 pts.
1x SS Hauptsturmfurher
3x Mauser Kar 98
1x MG 42 MGT

Bought separetly point total 26 pts. a 6 pt. savings

German Veteran Infantry Platoon-29 pts.
1x Wehrmacht Oberleutnant
1x Mauser Kar 98
2x Wehrmacht Veteran Infantry
1x Light Mortar
1x MG 42 MGT

Bought separately point total 40 pts. an 11 pt. savings

Italian Blackshirt Platoon-17 pts.
1x Stalwart Lt.
3x Blackshirts
1x Brixia Mortar

Bought separately point total 22 pts. a 5 pt. savings

Italian Infantry Platoon-15 pts.
1x Stalwart Lt.
3x Fucile Modello 1891
1x Breda modello 37 MG

Bought separately point total 23 pts. an 8 pt. savings

Japanese Infantry Platoon-26 pts.
1x Imperial Sergeant
5x Arisaka rifle
1x Type 89 Mortar

Bought separetly point total 33 pts. a 7 pt. savings

These are a few examples of the platoons. Most of the others are a few points cheaper as a platoon than separate pieces.

Edited to correct Math & add a couple additional examples to the Allies & Axis formations
Last edited by curtm1911 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Der Engel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm attaching an example of the US platoons that our gaming group developed and played with for several years (thanks to Pletch!). It hasn't been updated in a few sets, but it is pretty thorough and was put together using "Bayonet Strength". We tried to loosely model a platoon off of 3 squad format. If you'd like to see the rest of them, let me know. I think we worked out a structure that by buying a platoon you basically took about 10% off the cost.

I was going to attach the file! Anyone know how I can attach a Word file?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 pm

It has to be a jpeg, gif or bmp file to attach. See if your MS word will save in any of those formats.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 am

I'm also going to make some official-looking templates for these, I may have one done by tonight.