What Units do you consider essencial when playing USA?

Post and discuss building armies and platoons

Moderator: curtm1911

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

So what units seem to creap into all your American armies? They do not have to be your favorites, they might just have a cool paint job or be a well done sculpt. List any number of units and I will compile a list with rankings in this post periodicly. In the end I hope to determine what the most played units are.

We will examine all the Major nations.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Re: What Units do you consider essencial when playing USA?

Unread post by Pletch » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 pm

:sherman: M4A1 Sherman
M1 Garand Rifle
"Red Devil" Captain

Why no Rangers? I like to play historical scenarios. The US Rangers fought in a limited number of battles. If they weren't part of the battle, I don't use them.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Veteran M4 Sherman ;) Still playin my V1s
Jeep
Rangers
M10

The veteran M4 Sherman is just too good for 27 points to leave in the box. Jeeps are not weapons but I have to say there are always in my builds. Rangers love-em even though we play the restrictions on them. The M10 is a good cheap swarm tank with a gun marginly better than the M4. With Flanking Attack if you get on the rear of a opponent it has 17 pounder dice.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

DenisCourcy
Mod
Mod

Unread post by DenisCourcy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 am

Jeep
Rangers
M10
M1 81mm mortar
"Red Devil" Captain
Click on the image to access my blog.
(Written in Portuguese for Brazilians who enjoy this game.
Has automatic translation by google translator for three languages. English, French and Spanish.)

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Rangers
M1 81mm Mortar
Red Devil Captain
:sherman: M4A1

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:09 pm

:sherman: :sherman: :sherman: :sherman: What else?

The planes are nice - they have all useful special abilities.

Quad 50 - the better MG...

BAR Gunner in original incarnation

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 pm

First update and bump. :sherman:

(3) M4A1 Sherman
(3) Rangers
(3) Red Devil Captain
(2) M1 81mm Mortar
(2) Jeep
(2) M10
(1) All Planes
(1) Quad 50
(2) BAR Gunner
(1) Veteran M4 Sherman
(2) M1 Garand Rifle
(1) Buffalo Soldier
(1) M1919
(1) Thompson
(1) Bazookaight
(1) Easy Eight
(1) M36
(1) Hellcat
(1) Pershing

Please check my addition.
Last edited by FieldMarshall Ober on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated list to everything up to curtm1911
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm

For my Overwatch Infantry, M-1's with the RDC, if allowed mixed Allies, the EENCO, for obvious reasons. A BAR & a MG Team is nice with these guys also.

Maneuver Force, Buffalo Soldiers, Steely Resolve makes them more survivable than M-1's. The Marine Sergeant works nice with them too when receiving Defensive Fire. Maybe take a bazooka or 2 with them for some AV help. In close terrain, a couple Thompsons should add some nice firepower. The BAR can work with this group too. Covering Fire does have a place in the Advance.

Now that I have some, 8 actually, Rangers are a part of U.S.A builds. They Spot, they move & have good AI numbers & "Lead the Way" is nice too.

Engineers, they have work to do & can Fight too.

I like the Marine Rifleman too. 2 dice at Long Range can come in handy at times. They can remove a Re-Disrupted ART/ATG/AA gun at Long Range with some luck on the dice. Add that second hit sometimes can open the door for the Advancing Troops.

Covering Force, M1919, more mobile than the Quad .50 & better AI numbers at long range. Also maybe the M2 Mortar or even the M8 Pack Howitzer. If planes are in the game, the Quad .50 and, if allowed, the BOFORS. They can even occupy the same hex without being overstacked. Mutual Protection ya know...:D

Now that I have acquired some, Snipers have begun appearing on the map. The US Hunting Sniper is something that my German playing friend has come to Dislike Greatly. I give him a Jeep, send him out looking for ATG/ART/AAA & create some "Diversions" that need to be dealt with ASAP. Of course, he likes his "Headshot" Sniper as much as I like to eliminate his guns with mine. Things get ugly when these guys are on the map, feel free to imagine anything here...it usually is Not Pretty. Here again , this addition causes my opponent to spend points on another of his Favorite Commanders, the Romanian Vig. Lt. He likes PAK 40's & 88's, I have 2 in my collection, one is the Gun Shield version. I hate seeing these guns on the map. He will put the Vig. Lt. with his guns but it makes him spend 8 to 16 points to protect his guns that might buy other things. More head games between friends here...:D

I tend to enjoy Inf vs Inf battles more than lots of tanks running around but do enjoy a Clash of Armor too.

Shermans, preferably Easy 8, or a swarm of M4A1's. Chaffe's can cause your opponent a lot of problems at times, M18 has it's place too. If a high point game, M36 maybe or just go all out & get the Pershing or 2.

When including Aircraft, I tend to use a mix here, points permitting. I like the P-40 to Strafe with. Stay out of range of AA, concentrate on Infantry to get the extra dice on Attack Rolls. I will use the P-51 with Rockets for Armor, Range 4 is nice here for this application. Always go for the Rear Armor here. For the Up Close & Rude action, the Corsair & it's Bombs, usually on Infantry to get the 12 dice but sometimes a vehicle needs to be dealt with, 8 dice can do some damage here also, just having to be in the same hex is a risk but Superior Armor 2 can be a Saving Grace. 3 Planes for 50 points can be pricey, but the friend I have been gaming with of late likes his Airpower also & likes higher point games...he plays the Germans & wants Tigers...SS Panzergrenadiers...SS Storm Troopers...Vet. Infantry...lots of MG 42's...he has this thing for overpowering my Forces...lol...with the Aircraft of mine in the game, it makes him have to buy more AA to counter it, thus I will try to build to deal with this twist...Armored Cars, Mortars & Spotters/Rangers, the M8Pack Howitzer, M2 Light Mortars on Kangaroos to drive around some Light Self Propelled Artillery, which then causes him to have to buy ATG's...which makes him have to figure his budget tighter & can cost him the points that Tiger or Vet. Tiger might have been bought with. Ahh the mind games we play in our builds...lol...also, points & mixed Allied Army builds & Terrain allowing, I will sometimes use the UK concealed Forward Observer. Park him in some Cover Terrain, keep him protected & let him call in the Atry & Air Power, love those extra dice for planes when he is in the battle. When we allow it, the Red Army FO sometimes is in the Allies builds. I like his mobility in certain cases over the UK FO, just remain at Long range in cover, give him a Jeep or sometimes the M3A1 Scout Car so he can move around quickly & he is usually reasonably safe.

Just a few thoughts from a semi newbie, only been playing this game a year now, but not new to wargames in general though.

No longer a newbie I think but still learning things that can turn the game in Good ways for me & Bad for my opponent. Just FYI, he & I got into the old Avalon Hill Games at the same time with the same person who we learned from. We both liked the Strategy involved but cardboard squares just didn't "Do It" for us...when I introduced him to this game, his eyes got wide, an ear to ear smile appeared & he said "Oh Yeah, this is more like it!!!".

Well, enough bloviating here. I just thought an update here was in order, to get a feel for some of what I have to deal with & the remedy to the situation I try to apply where needed. It also reflects some new additions to my collection.

I kind of miss seeing people updating these threads, with new units we are creating, a nod to Ober here for the UK/Canadian Sniper in particular, Thank You Sir for one of these, he has yet to get a shot off but soon...very soon I think he will add to my opponents woes... :egrin:
Last edited by curtm1911 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 pm

curtm1911 wrote:For my Overwatch Infantry, M-1's with the RDC, if allowed mixed Allies, the EENCO, for obvious reasons.

Manuver Force, Buffalo Soldiers, Steely Resolve makes them more survivable than M-1's. The Marine Sergeant works nice with them too when receiving Defensive Fire. Maybe take a bazooka or 2 with them for some AV help. In close terrain, a couple Thompsons should add some nice firepower. The BAR can work with this group too.

Covering Force, M1919, more mobile than the Quad .50 & better AI numbers at long range. Also maybe the M2 Mortar or even the M8 Pack Howitzer.

I tend to enjoy Inf vs Inf battles more than lots of tanks running around but do enjoy a Clash of Armor too.

Shermans, preferably Easy 8, Chaffe's can cause your opponent a lot of problems at times, M18 has it's place too. If a high point game, M36 maybe or just go all out & get the Pershing or 2.

Just a few thoughts from a semi newbie, only been playing this game a year now, but not new to wargames in general though.
The US sure did get some great units. All good points that you mention. The Thompson gunner is a unit I used rarely until lately, now I don't have enough. They just have too good an attack to ignore even with the limited range 2. With the NCO they can chew up the defence 5 units. You think in a platoon perspective the same way I do. I find it ensures a good all purpose infantry build with a good balance.

US tank battles always present a problem for me. With the lack of upgunned units like the UK I tend to go for the Sherman swarm. I like historical battles so the Pershing rarely fits the bill except in 1945 battles and then when you can buy (3) M4 75mm shermans for the price of (1) Pershing I often go for quantity over quality.

I will add you votes to the tally.

PS - You have caught on pretty quickly to some important game nuances so I think your past the newbie stage. :wink:
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

FieldMarshall wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:For my Overwatch Infantry, M-1's with the RDC, if allowed mixed Allies, the EENCO, for obvious reasons.

Manuver Force, Buffalo Soldiers, Steely Resolve makes them more survivable than M-1's. The Marine Sergeant works nice with them too when receiving Defensive Fire. Maybe take a bazooka or 2 with them for some AV help. In close terrain, a couple Thompsons should add some nice firepower. The BAR can work with this group too.

Covering Force, M1919, more mobile than the Quad .50 & better AI numbers at long range. Also maybe the M2 Mortar or even the M8 Pack Howitzer.

Shermans, preferably Easy 8, Chaffe's can cause your opponent a lot of problems at times, M18 has it's place too. If a high point game, M36 maybe or just go all out & get the Pershing or 2.

The US sure did get some great units. All good points that you mention. The Thompson gunner is a unit I used rarely until lately, now I don't have enough. They just have too good an attack to ignore even with the limited range 2. With the NCO they can chew up the defence 5 units. You think in a platoon perspective the same way I do. I find it ensures a good all purpose infantry build with a good balance.

US tank battles always present a problem for me. With the lack of upgunned units like the UK I tend to go for the Sherman swarm. I like historical battles so the Pershing rarely fits the bill except in 1945 battles and then when you can buy (3) M4 75mm shermans for the price of (1) Pershing I often go for quantity over quality.

I will add you votes to the tally.

PS - You have caught on pretty quickly to some important game nuances so I think your past the newbie stage. :wink:
Thanks for the kind words FieldMarshall.

I came to the minis from A&A the board game & PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader/Squad Leader/ASL. This is a much faster & nicer looking game than those too. Cardboard pieces vs Nice Looking Minis......... Once I unlearned some old concepts, I am hooked & it plays faster too. More games in a limited amount of time means More Fun More Often.