What Units do you consider essencial when playing USA?

Post and discuss building armies and platoons

Moderator: curtm1911

FSSF

Re: What Units do you consider essencial when playing USA?

Unread post by FSSF » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Basic US essentials
1. M4A1 Sherman: THE best all-around medium tank to which every other tank in the game is compared to. Fast, cheap, decent defense, with only average anti-vehicle attack power, but in a swarm, and with good tactics, it can still menace anything on the map. Plus, one of the rare basic medium tank in the game with above average anti-infantry power. This is a big plus for me: a unit that I can use to hit anything on the board.

2. M1 Garand Rifle: All other nations in the game have a vanilla 3 points basic infantry (usually with 8/6 AI and CA 6). But not the US. No, sir! American basic infantry is 4 points with above average medium range AI and Close Assault (+1 to both vs other basic infantry). Even without any other bonus, the M1 Garand Rifle would be worth the extra point cost. BUT, the US basic has another special ability in his musette bag: Stars and Stripes. The synergetic SA is powerful: with a commander at his side, the M1 Garand Rifle has almost the same fire power as the SS-PG.

3. "Red Devil" Captain: One of the best all-around commander in the game since the very first set. Cheap at 7 points with the average Intitiative +2 and a SA I have always apreciated: Pinpointer. But a quality I have always liked in a good infantry commander is when he's more than just a walking shared SA with an initiative bonus: I love a leader that has the ability to fight shoulder to shoulder with his men. The Captain has that and with a good Close Assault 7 to boot. Given the synergetic quality of the M1 Garand Rifle's Stars and Stripes SA, the US commander is a must. I often field more than one in larger builds (1 per 5 +/- other infantry units).

4. M3 Light Tank: THE best light tank in the game. One of the best thing, for me, that came with the relaunch/upscale of the game with the 1939-1945 set, was that US finally got their own M3. Very fast, decent defense, good attack power and All Guns Blazing, the M3 is an always useful multi-purpose unit: it can race across the board to take out mortars and support units, lend a help vs infantry, take out halftracks, transports, armoured cars and other light tanks, and even flank bigger tanks. I will always remember the first time I played one and managed to disrupt a Tiger from behind at short range!

5. Until the big revision, this 5th spot would have been for the BAR Gunner, but since they nerfed Covering Fire, I mostly play that unit in the Pacific vs Japan builds. To support the Shermans, I often try to get a Bazooka in.

Since my regular playing buddies are not powergammers, i don't fight SS-Tigers and waves of SS-PG that much. So these 5 basic units are often enough to give a good fight.

Other units I try to include as often as possible that I will consider essentials for a good set of US units:
- U.S. Engineer: Close Assault 10 is very good, and again, like for the "Red Devil" Captain, I like the fact that he can lend a hand in the fight as well as any basic soldier.
- M1919 MG: It's always a welcome addition for long range firepower. The second best MG in the game (only the german MG-42 is better).
- M4A3 (105) Sherman: a more specialized unit, I will often substitute one of my Shermans for 1 of these in larger games (at least 150 points or more).
- Jeep: Fast cheap transport.

In the Pacific games, my list of units is very different:
M3 Light Tank (main tank! More than enough to go vs Japan weak armor)
LVT(A)-1 (cheap, awesome vs infantry)
Thompson Gunner (a must vs SNLF Fanatics)
Marine Riflemen (better vs Banzai charges)
BAR Gunner (even nerfed, useful vs entrenched enemy)
Marines M2-2 Flamethrower (see: Thompson Gunner, + can kill Japanese tanks)
M1919 MG (essential vs Banzai charge)
Marine Sergeant
Not essentials, but very playable in the Pacific: 37mm Gun M3, M8 75mm Pack Howitzer, Jeep.

In North Africa games I like to add a M3 Lee and an Untested Recruit or two filler(s) to my top 5 essentials, for some flavor. Italy will sometimes see "Buffalo Soldiers" and Rangers for the same reason. None of these are essentials mind you, they just add variety.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Good Post FSSF! I like your perspective on the M1 rifleman. I never really thought of it that way but it make sense. The M5 is a great little tank. There is a thread here somwhere where we gripe about fighting against UK Stuart tanks.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I always have a Red Devil Cpt. in my force. I always keep a group of M1 Garands by him to take advantage of Stars and Stripes For attacking tanks, I always use M4A1 Shermans. They cost 21 pts and have average armor with a strong gun, so there can be a few in the force.
That way, Shermans can get tanks and armored cars while the infanty take out ATGs so the tanks can take out ore armored cars so the infantry can take out more ATG's so the tanks can take out more armored cars and so on.

mmarfox

Unread post by mmarfox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 am

FSSF pretty much sums up everything I could have said

The M4A1 always creeps into my US builds.

Also, the RD Cpt, and Ranger usually find their way in there too.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Bump
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02 am

Personally, my canadians often help my americans.
EENCO with M1's are great, and the Tommy's are WAAAY underpriced, should be 5 points.
Other than that FSSF got it great!
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 am

Mine are the:

M5A1, really good heap light tank, with the Robust SA
Quad 50, awesome heavily armoured mg gun
M7 105mm Priest, just a big powerful mobile gun
M1 Garand Rifle, the standard vanilla infantry

I know its late but I thought I would throw in my :tocnt:
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:24 pm

A Bump here to show some of the things I've learned & additions to my collection since I first posted in this thread. Comments/Thoughts and/or ridicule is appreciated....:D

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:01 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Veteran M4 Sherman ;) Still playin my V1s
Jeep
Rangers
M10

The veteran M4 Sherman is just too good for 27 points to leave in the box. Jeeps are not weapons but I have to say there are always in my builds. Rangers love-em even though we play the restrictions on them. The M10 is a good cheap swarm tank with a gun marginally better than the M4. With Flanking Attack if you get on the rear of a opponent it has 17 pounder dice.
Well my tastes have changed somewhat. I don't play the US regularly but Ive swapped the Vet M4 for the M4 Calliope because of its versatility. The Rangers are still cornerstones of any US army and a good ole Sherman swarm is still always a possibility. The M10 is still a good 20 point TD but I find myself taking the Hellcat for a few extra points w/ its revised Strike n Fade, I mean if they both have tin foil armor so I may as well choose the one with S&F. :Tout:
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Veteran M4 Sherman ;) Still playin my V1s
Jeep
Rangers
M10

The veteran M4 Sherman is just too good for 27 points to leave in the box. Jeeps are not weapons but I have to say there are always in my builds. Rangers love-em even though we play the restrictions on them. The M10 is a good cheap swarm tank with a gun marginally better than the M4. With Flanking Attack if you get on the rear of a opponent it has 17 pounder dice.
Well my tastes have changed somewhat. I don't play the US regularly but Ive swapped the Vet M4 for the M4 Calliope because of its versatility. The Rangers are still cornerstones of any US army and a good ole Sherman swarm is still always a possibility. The M10 is still a good 20 point TD but I find myself taking the Hellcat for a few extra points w/ its revised Strike n Fade, I mean if they both have tin foil armor so I may as well choose the one with S&F. :Tout:
After looking through the database, aircraft section, with AAAF cards, P-40C "Flying Tiger"""..."Superior Armor 2 ...yup, just got one or two...Navy Corsairs in 42....Mustangs in 1943...Good stuff too....all my Air Forces get things

All the explanations of each unit & SA's interactions, the "Syngeries" & Unique ways the rules do or don't say one way or other, so it is permitted.. HuntingSniper/Gun Crew Hunter....hmmm

Once my gaming bud sees this stuff, we will be seeing more "Combined Arms" games...cool....

Edited for spelling...D'Oh