A Soon to be Played Eastern Front Scenario

Post and discuss building armies and platoons

Moderator: curtm1911

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

A Soon to be Played Eastern Front Scenario

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:59 pm

I was looking through the Builds Thread on the Forumini awhile back & saw a Russian build I tinkered with some & when I got it like I wanted it, I decided to create a German build to use against it. It will be a 1941 scenario, a kind of first introduction to the Germans of the T34/76 game. Still trying to find a good map set-up for this, but in the meantime, here are the builds.....comments, ideas, chuckles...feel free to make any comments.:D

I have included the link to the specific thread it came from should anyone want to see what the Russian build was before tinkering as well as looks at other builds.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/ftopic1745-20.php

5x T34 140 pts.
1x Veteran NCO 6 pts.
5x Guards Infantry 25 pts.
3x Maxim MG 21 pts.
2x Zis Trucks 8 pts.

Transport the Troops in any manner you want, but everybody gets a ride this way. If you want to use it as 1941, use the Commissar & it costs 199 pt. Just get the trucks moved up & unloaded ASAP & things should work out pretty good...lol.

This resurrecting of old builds seems to be the only way to revive this thread. I do plan to try this build very soon too.

If I use the Single Nation Bonus/10 pts. in this instance, I'm open to ideas for the extra points. A BT-5, a Sniper & Conscript, 2 DP-27's & Conscript, 3 Mosins & an obstacle, 3 Conscripts & a DP-27, a 76.2MM ATG & an obstacle, 3 PPSH SMG & obstacle, 2 PTRD-41 ATR & 2 obstacles, 2 PPSH SMG & 1 PTRD 41 ATR.I am trying to use rarely used units & I am also not wanting to proxie except in extreme case situation, using the actual piece is preferred, so I am playing within my collection limitations. I will most likely try all these options since I will try this Solitaire.Suggestions & ideas are welcomed.

Since this will be 1941, the Vet. NCO is 1942, so Russian Leadership is a Commissar. Should be interesting for sure.

This is the German Build the above Russian Build will face.
I use Expanded Rules Formations sometimes & the ones here are cheaper than buying the units separately.

Panzergrenadier Platoon x2 @ 29 pts. 58 pts. total
Each platoon consists of:
2x SdKfz 251 Halftracks
2x Panzergrenadiers
1x SdKfz 250 Halftrack
1x PAK 38

German Recon Platoon x1 @ 32 pts.
2x SdKfz 222 Armored Cars
2x SdKfz 251 Halftracks
1x Panzergrenadier
1x Wehrmacht Veteran Infantry

5x Panzer IV E @ 14 pts. 70 pts.
1x SS Hauptsturmfuhrer @ 7 pts.
1x Kubelwagen @ 3 pts.
1x Opel Truck @ 4 pts.
2x MG34 @ 8 pts. 16 pts.
2x Wehrmacht Veteran Infantry @ 5 pts. 10 pts.

Total 200 pts.

The Panzergrenadier Platoons were 7 pts. less as Formations, & the Recon Platoon was 3 pts. less. Like them or hate them, most are still cheaper than separate buying. Just my observation there but I do use them when they save points.

Anyway, this should be an interesting battle I think....it will be 1941, the Russians will use the Commissar. All the German units are pre-1941 or 1941 available. It will be an Objective in the middle of the map battle.
Last edited by curtm1911 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer Commander

Re: A Soon to be Played Eastern Front Scenario

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:06 pm

I like it. I guess the MG-34s will cover the advance for the other units, seeing as they can shoot long range whereas the WVI cannot. Those WVI are the most likely passengers for the Opel Blitz, no?

I like the mobility options. As you said, the trucks will need to unload quickly, but it still beats walking to the objective! :lol:

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Panzer Commander wrote:I like it. I guess the MG-34s will cover the advance for the other units, seeing as they can shoot long range whereas the WVI cannot. Those WVI are the most likely passengers for the Opel Blitz, no?

I like the mobility options. As you said, the trucks will need to unload quickly, but it still beats walking to the objective! :lol:
Not quite sure if this will be played solitaire yet or if my usual gaming bud will be playing. Still figuring out which maps to use as well. I do think it will be on some of the 2" hex maps I have a few of....a bit more area to play on & some different options for Objective(s).

Also, any ideas on the use of the "Single Nation Bonus" points.....right now, as the Russian build is, I have 11 pts. to deal with....I do think I will try the BT-5 option first, the Germans have plenty of vehicular targets available here...:D

As for who rides in the Opel Blitz, it might be both the MG-34's, the 2 additional WVI or one of each. Right now, if this is played solitaire, I am leaning towards the 2 MG-34's riding the Opel, there is a good bit of infantry available already & the 2 WVI would be reinforcements this way. For certain, the trucks will need to unload ASAP & scoot back for the rest of the troops regardless.

Anyway, thanks for looking & thinking that it is not bad builds really, I always appreciate feedback from the community.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Bumped for a reply & some editing. Any feedback from anyone is always appreciated...thanks for looking...:D

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:25 am

I feat the GErmany will loose - 5 Pz E are nothing compared to 5 T-34s

The PanzerGrenadiere are just to weal to be of much use agsinst the Guards

Armored Cars and halftracks are alos just there to be shot down..

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:50 pm

The Panzergrenadiers are there, I assume, for their Close Assault 8 special ability, to help deal with the T-34s. However, one PG per Russian tank is hardly enough AT, given how tough the T-34s can be to crack. And I agree the PZ 1V E is extremely weak compared to the T-34s. For the cost of 5 Panzer IV E's, you could have ten SS Stormtroopers, with Close Assault 8 AND Ruthless AND Defense 5, which makes them like miniature tanks (and they are available in 1940/41). That's my two cents!!

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 pm

My idea for this scenario is sort of the Germans have been running roughshod over the Russians in the early summer of 1941. They have not encountered the T34/76 as of yet in this scenario, or Guards Infantry either. This is built with formations for the Germans & a build from the "Builds" thread of the Forumini that I found & have tweaked a bit.

The premise is this is a German advance Scouting type group running into a Russian unit cobbled together to slow the German advance any way possible. I am still working on what maps & objective for this, so it is a WIP. I do thank you gentlemen for your input, it is very helpful. Feel free to tweak it yourselves & add or change anything that you might use, staying within the basic premise of what I am trying to recreate more or less.

I didn't go with any SS for the reasons stated above & they are in the rear still, doing whatever it is that they did at this time.....probably subduing the population & thus busy elsewhere. The Germans are about to get an introduction of things to come for the next few years in Russia.

If anyone would like to build a "Follow-Up" formation to this, we can make it a series of ongoing games perhaps...just a thought & a way to keep the game alive, it is pretty slow around here & the Forumini I have noticed.
The year is 1941, mid to late summer time frame, somewhere west of Moscow.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:58 am

Panzer Commander wrote:The Panzergrenadiers are there, I assume, for their Close Assault 8 special ability, to help deal with the T-34s. However, one PG per Russian tank is hardly enough AT, given how tough the T-34s can be to crack. And I agree the PZ 1V E is extremely weak compared to the T-34s. For the cost of 5 Panzer IV E's, you could have ten SS Stormtroopers, with Close Assault 8 AND Ruthless AND Defense 5, which makes them like miniature tanks (and they are available in 1940/41). That's my two cents!!

I actually chose the Panzergrenadiers/Formations randomly. They were year available & they have "Mechanized Tactics". Their "Close Assault 8" did play a factor but not the main reason for choosing them. The Russian build, as I mentioned, was from the Forumini builds thread & I tweaked it to my liking. The whole premise is to give the Germans a taste if things to come in their Russian adventure, They just might get thumped hard in this scenario, I can't say for sure. They have some decent AI shots at the Guards Infantry but against the T34's, they are gonna be hard pressed for sure.

I will keep everyone posted as to when it is played, what maps are used & how things go with as good as an AAR as I can write up. Having just received a Dano box with some of his new design trenches, there may be some new twists to this scenario yet...to be continued...:D

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 pm

With the leftover point & Single Nation Bonus, there are 11 points available. This is what they buy.

1x Guards Infantry
2x Mosin Nagant Infantry

Should be an interesting battle with the Invaders From the West.

Now to work up the map. Something "Sporty" for the "Fits & Jjggle" aspect...:D

Should I includes pictures/graphic images of intense minis combat...... :t34: :t34: :t34: :t34: :t34:

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 pm

curtm1911 wrote:With the leftover point & Single Nation Bonus, there are 11 points available. This is what they buy.

1x Guards Infantry
2x Mosin Nagant Infantry

Should be an interesting battle with the Invaders From the West.

Now to work up the map. Something "Sporty" for the "Fits & Jjggle" aspect...:D

Should I includes pictures/graphic images of intense minis combat...... :t34: :t34: :t34: :t34: :t34:
Of course!!