View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:12 am

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Guess the map 

Since we can't all be dano with all that beautiful stuff :lol: I decided to finish my map to have nice terrain. It's still in the works, but I hope that you can already guess from where I got my inspiration - what is this map based on?

The winner will get 30 points in his next battle :lol:

I need to make hexes more clear of its type - ie make them more clear or forest. Probably move some forest away in the middle as if there is defender in town attacker can come pretty much invisible... except armor.
Ideas welcome!

Attachments:
mapXY.jpg
mapXY.jpg [ 278.5 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]
Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Nice map Sismis.

Assuming North is straight up the page there is water to the NW and a town in the center. Hmmm. I don't think it is Normandy because I don't see any bocages. So possibly Italy or the obvious Croatia? Need a hint!

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 am
Profile WWW

Is this a Google Maps thing, or did you make it? Either way it looks awesome and I would love to know how you got the hexes on it.

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 am

NW is actually a shadow, it's hard to see on this smaller image sorry. Its not Croatia. All I can say is that we've all been there countless times :D

It's Google Maps. I am not entirely satisfied with resolution, I will provide 1:1 part of image to get sense of scale when I come home. I was stitching for a day or two from small pieces then Photoshop crashed and corrupted file. In second pass I put this from two mega pieces and started to clear fields with small patches. I was thinking it will be easy, but most of the globe is covered in poor resolution and bad image quality (washed out and with too much contrast) and is winter time. Just a town took me a day.. modern small towns are too regular, without vegetation and big buildings and villages too small.

Hexes are just superimposed (top layer) with overlay effect to it to show background. I can upload psd with just hexes. Tiling hexes is not that easy :) so we can have template from this.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:25 am

NW is actually a shadow, it's hard to see on this smaller image sorry. Its not Croatia. All I can say is that we've all been there countless times :D

It's Google Maps. I am not entirely satisfied with resolution, I will provide 1:1 part of image to get sense of scale when I come home. I was stitching for a day or two from small pieces then Photoshop crashed and corrupted file. In second pass I put this from two mega pieces and started to clear fields with small patches. I was thinking it will be easy, but most of the globe is covered in poor resolution and bad image quality (washed out and with too much contrast) and is winter time. Just a town took me a day.. modern small towns are too regular, without vegetation and big buildings and villages too small.

Hexes are just superimposed (top layer) with overlay effect to it to show background. I can upload psd with just hexes. Tiling hexes is not that easy :) so we can have template from this.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:25 am

How exactly did you get the image off google?

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

Found a neat trick on net. Open desired location, click on "Link" button and you will get "Paste link in email or IM". You can even pick "Customize and preview embedded map", enter your size (I went with 3000x3000), save HTML script as something.html .When you run it in browser you'll get big map. Get some screenshot plugin in Firefox which can select whole page and take a screenshot. Easypeasy.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:46 pm

What do you think the scale per hex is in real?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Around 200 meters. I had scaled it back and forth but resolution was too low for 100 meters and I wanted some larger battlefield. Hex size is 2".

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

This is crop 1:1. Highest resolution for this area would be one zoom level higher, but it would take forever to get them and tile them up.

Attachments:
psd_crop.jpg
psd_crop.jpg [ 366.54 KiB | Viewed 703 times ]
Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next