General Discussion

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

General Discussion

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm

:t34: :tiger:

If PC gaming is in your wheelhouse and you want an excellent free WWII tank game to play then check out World of Tanks.

I spent the last week out in the wilderness and had some time to catch up on my WWII History magazine backlog. On the back cover of each was an ad for WoT so I thought I would check it out despite my skepticism about free games.

It is in fact free although you can spend money to buy in game currency if you want to fast track tank and upgrade purchases, otherwise you just have to play to build up the necessary xp. The game is easy to play and a quick view of their tutorial pages helps too. The most confusing aspect is the garage where you spend xp to upgrade existing tanks or buy new ones. At first you start out with a handful of light tanks but I have yet to upgrade or purchase anything. Some of the upgrade possibilities: crew, gun, engine, suspension, radio and turret.

Thus far I have played only a few battles, all of which didn't go more than 10 minutes but other game modes may go longer, not sure yet. It is definitely easy to pick up and play if you don't have much time to invest in one sitting. It is a pretty realistic game as far as incorporating the expected factors in tank battles. All in all I am impressed how easy the game plays. Controls are simple enough and a quick read on how the reticle works will help out too.

I wasnt sure if my laptop could handle the game based on what they said was required but my 3 or 4 year old laptop seemed to do just fine. Non PC users are out of luck unfortunately.

They are also working on an aircraft version as well.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

dano903
The King
The King

Re: World of Tanks

Unread post by dano903 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:31 pm

I tried this, but I couldn't get the time to play...computer competition at home. It did look great for what it was.

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 pm

I am Von_Knight on the European version, it IS an excellent game.
You get 4 starting light tanks, one each from Germany, France, USA and the Soviet Union.
The up grades are got by spending experience that you gain in battle, you CANNOT buy experience! you can buy a large tank if you are willing to spend£20-£40 on one :shock: but I have built mine up from scratch.
Games typically last about 10 minutes but can last up to the 15 minute mark, you can also form platoons of three to go into combat or if there are more of you that wish to play together you can form a company of up to 15 tanks!

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks for additional info Pilgrimtone! The Clan Wars look pretty cool too but likely something I will never get into. I am looking forward to upgrading one of my lights with the xp I have thus far, not sure if I have enough yet.

I am definitely not spending any real cash so my upgrades are gonna be earned. What tanks are in your garage right now?
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:36 am

Does it work on Mac OSX? If so I would like to try.

EDIT: Nevermind, I tried to download the install package, but when I went to open it, it was just a lot of code, oh well.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

Ace of Aces wrote:Thanks for additional info Pilgrimtone! The Clan Wars look pretty cool too but likely something I will never get into. I am looking forward to upgrading one of my lights with the xp I have thus far, not sure if I have enough yet.

I am definitely not spending any real cash so my upgrades are gonna be earned. What tanks are in your garage right now?
I have these tanks;

France :frflag:
S-35 CA..........................Tank Destroyer
AMX 105 AM.....................Artillery

German :geflag:
PzKpfw IV.........................Tank
VK3601(H)........................Tank
PzKpfw VI Tiger..................Tank
Hetzer..............................Tank Destroyer
Jagdpanther......................Tank Destroyer

United Kingdom :ukflag:
Matilda Black Prince.............Tank

U.S.A :usflag:
M4A3E8 Sherman.................Tank
T-49..................................Tank Destroyer
M-37..................................Artillery

I also have 5 spaces in my garage for when the British tanks arrive next month :mua:

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Nice array of armor. Obviously I just have the stock tanks but I did get to play a bit last night and got both the Leichttraktor and T1 Cunningham up to elite status and am putting all xp earned toward crew training. Didn't realize how long that would take compared to researching tanks.

I am open to suggestions but I think I am going to stick with these two tanks until I get the crew training up before I move to tier 2. By that time I will have a ton of credits banked for ammo, consumables, equipment and new/retrained crew.

Quickly found that at tier 1 the best strategy is to find cover and wait for the enemy to cross the open areas. Hopefully more maneuvering shows up as the tier levels increase where lights and mediums can follow behind heavies across the open areas.

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Ace of Aces wrote:Nice array of armor. Obviously I just have the stock tanks but I did get to play a bit last night and got both the Leichttraktor and T1 Cunningham up to elite status and am putting all xp earned toward crew training. Didn't realize how long that would take compared to researching tanks.

I am open to suggestions but I think I am going to stick with these two tanks until I get the crew training up before I move to tier 2. By that time I will have a ton of credits banked for ammo, consumables, equipment and new/retrained crew.

Quickly found that at tier 1 the best strategy is to find cover and wait for the enemy to cross the open areas. Hopefully more maneuvering shows up as the tier levels increase where lights and mediums can follow behind heavies across the open areas.
This is not a good idea sir, when you move up to the next tanks you will have to retrain your crew for that tank and so lose some of your training.
Move up through the tanks as quick as possible until you get to at least tier 4 or preferably 5 before training up to 100%

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Ace of Aces wrote:Nice array of armor. Obviously I just have the stock tanks but I did get to play a bit last night and got both the Leichttraktor and T1 Cunningham up to elite status and am putting all xp earned toward crew training. Didn't realize how long that would take compared to researching tanks.

This is not a good idea sir, when you move up to the next tanks you will have to retrain your crew for that tank and so lose some of your training.
Move up through the tanks as quick as possible until you get to at least tier 4 or preferably 5 before training up to 100%

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I will have to look into it more then, many on the WoT forum definitely endorsed sticking with a crew and retraining. I know one advantage in retraining vs recruiting is that retrained crews keep their skills while new recruits have none.

Need to find out why they recommended sticking with one crew. At the rate the crew is gaining xp I would rather be driving some new hardware.

Edit: the WoT wiki confirms your comment, retraining via rapid course as early as possible makes most sense as a crew member won't fall below 50%. Time for me to move up!