After Action Review (Anything That Happened In-Game)

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

After Action Review (Anything That Happened In-Game)

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:43 pm

We have all had great moments or epic failures, post your adventures and even a screenshot or video if you have it.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Re: After Action Review (Anything That Happened In-Game)

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 am

Since they all can't be great moments, I pulled this epic fail the other night on Dragon Ridge.

Flanked the enemy going all the way around from the South base to the West, all the way up to the North edge hugging it until I got to the enemy base in the East corner. After breaking my track twice coming down the numerous and brutal terracing, I finally found their M37 SPG sitting atop a little hill just East of their base facing the other direction maybe 3m above where I was at on the slight upslope.

I stop to let my aiming reticle shrink and he starts his slow turn toward me as I unload my first 75mm shell in his back for a hit. Still turning I land another shot but instead of moving I sit there like a chump and with the long reload time of my 75mm I continue to wait for my reload to complete only to watch him finish the turn, then his gun depressing and BOOM - I'm toast right before I can get my shot off. :bump:

I'd like to say I'll never let this happen again but I'd be telling a lie, I do this WAY too often. Just plain get greedy and don't want to reset my aim but usually it's against other tanks who obviously can traverse their turret and not something I had utter dominance over in maneuverability. Pulling forward 3m he would have had no chance of finishing his turn before I get off my final shot not to mention a better shooting aspect for myself. I honestly didn't think his gun could depress that much but that is no excuse because I still would have likely hit on the move.

We end up winning the match and my 2x boost for the first victory of the day was wasted on a match where I spotted one enemy :sickie:
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 am

Had a good battle a few hours ago in my Panzer IV, got a career high 5 kills and most xp earned in a single battle. Despite that fact it says no awards, I did receive Master Gunner and top place in that match. Here is the replay file and stats, but you have to have the WoT client to view it.

Stayed back on this one and let my better armored friends spot the enemy, actually did this on most other battles in this tank today with great success. Doesn't hurt that my crew is getting better and I have the Panzer decked out in equipment finally.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 am

Well I played a few battles. I never even saw the enemy before I was killed. By the time I realized I was taking hits the tank just wouldn't back up fast enough before slipping to 0%. :lol:

I found the tanks drive rather clunky and there seems to be a delay after directing it to turn. Is this something to get used to? Driving can be confusing when the gun is pointed elsewhere also. I found my self driving away from the battle inadvertently. Is there anyway to lock the turret or is it something I need to get used to?

The guns seemed easy enough to aim and fire but is there any indicators to tell you where the fire thats hitting you is coming from?

Give me some basic strategies so I can get the feel for this and gain some experience with the tanks. I assume there is no practice mode?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 am

:lol: thats right where I started! Backward escapes in low tier tanks with no upgrades are tough, especially if the engine or tracks have been damaged!

Some of the delay in turning could be performance lag depending on your system specs. If you haven't already, use the auto detect feature in display tab settings just to make sure that isn't the problem. Other than that it should just be tank related. Better tracks and more powerful engines will help you turn faster as well as reduce speed bleed while turning. The type of ground you are on matters too.

I think one of the camera positions turns the turret in its current orientation with the tank but am not 100%. The key will be to check your mini map to see where your cone of vision is pointing relative to the arrow that shows which way your hull faces. Use your scroll wheel in and out to see which one it might be (I know it isn't in snipe mode).

There is a practice mode, look at spot right below red battle button up top to change types. I tried it the other day and people were angry I was shooting when it was a ramming only game, had no clue when I picked it!

You can tell what direction a shot came from at impact and for a split second after, look for a red arc.

For tactics in these low tier games I would recommend finding a good spot in some bushes, even better if bushes are next to a solid object you can back up behind. In general using reverse gets you killed if you are too far out in the open...and going forward does too unless you are in a fast tank :cry: . Once one enemy finds you his teammates within radio range and view range to you can pop shots your way even if the shooter is outside your view range (but not theirs). Later on when SPGs come into play you will want to be hiding behind solid tall objects because once an SPG gets the info from their buddy they will rain down shells, probably on stationary targets in the open first. Shoot and scoot is the motto but i often find myself ignoring this which results in my death.

Other tactics can depend on the tank but typically you want to position yourself at an angle to increase the effective thickness of your armor as well as increase the chance a shell will bounce. Shooting at the drive/idler wheels to detrack a tank is always a good option if you want to pin them to a certain spot (maybe to loop around an object to land a shot on their rear. I personally use the cruise control forward (actually set to my mouse on a 4th button) 90% of the time, that way I can focus on traversing as well as use the space bar to stop where it will then get you going again automatically after shooting.

The key to getting research points is staying alive as long as possible because even if you don't directly damage an enemy you can get points for spotting and teammates damaging enemies you spotted/detected. I have had a few 600-800 xp rounds just from finding a good bush in my M5 Stuart and not shooting. Keep in mind that any enemy within 50 meters is sure to spot you, anything farther depends on distance, your camo rating, crew skill (later on) or a camo net (equipment).

If you don't already have a 5 button mouse and like the game, I would recommend the investment. They don't cost much these days and the extra 2 buttons come in handy, for example on my mouse:

LMB: Fire
MMB: Command menu
RMB: Give target command (hold to free look without moving turret)
"Forward" button: Lock hull (for SPGs - will change as hitting a key is fine for as much as I play SPGs)
"Back" button: Cruise control forward - just like having quick access to getting the hell out of dodge.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm

I do have a five button mouse I use for CAD work so I can hook it up anytime. What about Joysticks? I have a pretty good programmable Logitech joystick for MFS, I wonder if its compatable?

I figured out that if you scroll back enough you can see your tank and gun which made it easier to focus less on driving. I will check out the cruise control tonight and see how it works.

Q: When you zoom in with the reticle the tank driving functions don't seem to work? Do you have to zoom out to move?

In the last game I played last evening (WoT Blocked at work) I managed to damage a tank with a lucky shot while it had its hands full with another opponent. I blew another good chance when I surprised an eneny tank turning in between some buildings. He got flustered and ended up going back and forth smashing into the buildings in a panic. I was lining him up and trying to fire with a lead and the first shot missed. He got stuck on a broken wall and I lined him up and before I could fire I got shot in the rear and blew up. :sickie: Sooo close to my first kill.....

I have around 500 points for research waiting to be spent of tier 1 tanks. Any suggestions as to what to upgrade? I have enough to upgrade to a A13.

At one point I had lost so many matches so quickly that none of my 5 tanks were available for match 6. I had to wait for some of the battles to end before the tanks were available. :Tout:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Some joysticks will work but they have to be mapped using the joystick software so the mouse movements control the aiming. Unless you are REALLY that much better at using a joystick you will probably be at a disadvantage in most situations where the agility of a mouse comes into play. I personally think it would be cool as i have decent Saitek flight stick. Maybe World of Warplanes will be best used with it.

I would recommend jetting through the first three tiers and find a tier 4 or 5 to stick with. Unless you start spending credits on training, all of them lose xp when being retrained to a new tank. You dont have to retrain, I just like to keep my crews careers going. If it is going to take you a while (maybe more than 10 battles) to get to that next tank you might want to spend the xp on upgrades to make things more enjoyable. Also right click on an upgrade and look at the characteristics because some upgrades work on the next tank and radios sometimes 3 or 4 tanks down the line.

If only I could play WoT at work *sigh*

Entering snipe mode shouldn't kill your controls but good luck trying to keep control of your reticle while moving at the more zoomed in views :lol:

If I recall correctly you will play on malinovka quite a bit early and will get into more maps once in higher tier tanks that can move faster. When on malinovka just sit behind those bushes and wait for some fool to try to cross the open field. If you sit on one end or the other you will also be able to hit those trying to flank.

Remeber to let your reticle shrink down as much a possible while firing, the shell will hit somewhere in that circle and waiting another second for a good shot is better than missing with a rushed shot then having to wait for the reload. Also, the aiming arrow ( ^) turns different colors when moving over an enemy. Try to find the spots where it turns green and avoid spots where it is red. You obviously can't guarantee a hit there but there will be some tanks you can't penetrate even the sides and don't want to send a shell down field giving away your position with no chance of damage. You still can detrack them, though.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 am

I took your advice Ace and just found a nice big bush to hide in and got my first kill. I was waiting in a bush when an enemy tank that I had been watching came out from behind a rock to look around and I hit him in the turret. He must of been new like myself and froze once hit and I put the second round right in the same spot as the first and she brewed-up. I have acquired some points for inflicting damage even though someone else got the credit for the kill.

My driving is finally up to an acceptable level and I won some kind of award. It must be because of the number of trees I ran over earlier and my recent improvement.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 am

:party: Congrats on that first kill sir!

:lol: Those trees go down much easier in higher tier tanks so those awards will keep coming :wink:

Scub
Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis

Unread post by Scub » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 pm

After reading your review, This game really seems like a fun game, especially if you Ace
even wanted to play at work, so this may not only be fun, but dangerous fun. :Tout:
Ober mentioned that a big and expencive collection like mine, could result in a divorce, so I would think it's more likely a risk here if the game does not become time-regulated. :whip: if not. :chainsaw: " I want half"
but
'm envious, I may have to get broadband in the house after all even though it will cost me an extra $ 90 per month :sickie: , it looks like it's worth it.
but on the other hand, there will be less finances to buy minis and hobby stuff, this is one double-edged sword, must find my thinking hat :geek:
Google Translate
I am from Norway, Bear with me !! ;-)

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png