Rome total war

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

thepanzerguy

Rome total war

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Anyone have this? I'm doing Greek campaign. I am slowly pushing Macedon out of Greece. I will attack the Macedonian heartland soon. Then I'll turn on the Brutii Romans. If you don't have this game, I highly reccomend it. It is a computer game. The sequel is coming out in october. It's real time tactics and turn based strategy all in one.
Barbarian Invasion expansion and Alexander (the Great) expansion for it are also good.

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Re: Rome total war

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I do have this although it has been a while ago. I think I played it on the micro manage mode and the steep learning curve lost my attention.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 pm

I tried to play the game twice but never past first mission. Just don't have patience and brain capacity :lol: for following that many units in realtime.

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 am

On a related note, there is a game I like, Battleground Fantasy Warfare. It has very similar gameplay as RTW but uses cards instead of miniatures, thus it's very cheap. I like i'ts command system and how limited you are wielding your army - they basically follow orders and you can change few per turn.

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 am

I think I'll stick with RTW. I love commanding troops and conquering the ancient world with my hoplites and Spartans. You should take another shot at it. The worst that could happen is that you don't pass. I highly reccomend lowering the difficulty if you're having trouble and pausing the game mid battle to assess the situation and come up with a plan.

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Battleground have Punic Wars edition which has very similar gameplay to RTW, that was what forgot to mention and why it crossed my mind in the first place.

RTW has only one flaw: you cannot save during battle. While it's actually a plus :D, since I am working whole day on a computer I really can't sit for hour or two for full mission. For anyone other, I agree - it is a great game anyone with a tactical inclinations should try!

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 am

It does stink that you can't save in battle. That would be very useful.

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:30 am

thepanzerguy wrote:Anyone have this? I'm doing Greek campaign. I am slowly pushing Macedon out of Greece. I will attack the Macedonian heartland soon. Then I'll turn on the Brutii Romans. If you don't have this game, I highly reccomend it. It is a computer game. The sequel is coming out in october. It's real time tactics and turn based strategy all in one.
Barbarian Invasion expansion and Alexander (the Great) expansion for it are also good.
I have it. It's a great game. I've never done the Greek campaign. I won as the Julii Romans and as the Huns in Barbarian Invasion. I also got Empire Total War ( it's in the same series) when it went on sale. I actually like Rome more. Empire has more micromanaging and I'm used to Rome.