War Thunder

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

sismis

Re: War Thunder

Unread post by sismis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 am

Installation was a bit tricky and I don't know for run test.. Updater ( Installer) from site has some issues and is very slow, stopped downloading at 33% so I downloaded game from torrent. Torent doesnt have updater so I downloaded updater, installed it in second folder, stopped update and pasted few of its files in torrent and voila, worked perfectly.

Ober, my machine is quite old, dual core with ATI 3870 256MB. You can compare your video card performance to mine so if similar, just give it a go.

Centurion - there is support for controllers for PC. If you like the game, I think few bucks for controller wont be an issue :D

I am just unsure of whole concept. There is not much tactical decisions you can make in a aerial fight. I know, you should have height advantage but other than that.. I guess I got enough dogfights in Tie Fighters and Elite fighters and Sturmikov :). Luckily there are other missions but I have to unlock it. If this game only came when I was 18 :)

On the other hand, there are no problems with MM :D

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm

I am sorry for spamming again but game visuals and immersion is incredible. While I struggle to shoot and kill, there are missions with AI and live players can join your hosted game and you can practice combat. There is XP too, and I guess you have to pay for repairs and ammo as in real battle (but it's free in first tier).

I will stop now :D
Attachments
shot 2013.03.17 20.53.23.jpg
Didn't realize there were two guys: pilot and gunner. Unlike WoT, gunner shoots backward and if you get too close like me, youre going for a swim in a second :D
shot 2013.03.17 20.52.24.jpg
Diving to save my ships. Sky is full of flaks, and their explosions are incredible. You just have to hear it
shot 2013.03.17 20.48.35.jpg
City landscape
shot 2013.03.17 15.12.20.jpg
Mission: destroy enemy installations and vehicles. Tough one, and landscape is quite dangerous. Looks gorgeous

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Great review Sismis, keep it coming. I am not likely to pick up another game so I will live vicariously through you on this one. I like the missions thing, think that is a cool feature.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Thank you :D
I'm afraid my piloting days are over :( There is a new patch and it just stops with download after a while. I suspect it's my Windows XP with it's managing of multiple connections to a torrent file.

However, I recommend great tutorial by a guy who played WoT so understands material well http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yt1Ogj2zNtI. I was watching like a movie :lol:

You are right, it's quite an effort to pick up and advance through on these games..

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 pm

To reply to myself. After researching I found a solution for game launcher killing connection (works on Windows 7 and XP). It appears to be more common problem on forums.

Open Group Policy (start - run - enter gpedit.msc). Expand Administrative Templates - Network - QoS Packet Scheduler and on right panel select Limit reservable bandwidth. Pick enabled and enter some value, I had 40% at a time and than returned to 20%. Sounds more complicated than it is :)

In the meantime, I had a scratch to itch, and this time I picked something more convenient to this forum. After two minor defeats, US forces managed to chase away mighty Japanese army!
As the sun sets down on Pacific, barely surviving Nagato and Haguro are escaping from battle, following oily path of Taiho. Hopes of holding on islands have sunk, along with vast majority of japanese air forces. Corsairs, Helldivers and Avenger have seriously turned the tides of war!
Attachments
DSC09429r.JPG

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Just started playing this game since I upgraded to a faster computer and am wondering if there are any good instructional videos on youtube? I am having trouble figuring some things out and could use some help.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 pm

I didn't know actually anything after I stopped playing :). Research is different from WoT and I believe that you actually research pilots and can transfer them back and forth across planes without losing experience. There was a guy explaining it on youtube but I forgot where was it.

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:59 pm

It also reminds me of Storm Raiders a game for my Ipod, that is extremely cool. Good graphics. I love using the British Mosquito. That plane is powerful.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

jtemple507

Unread post by jtemple507 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Very nice review! I'm really excited to get it now, heard the "air war" is much better than WoWP. I also heard the "ground war" is much worse than WoT, however.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 pm

jtemple507 wrote:Very nice review! I'm really excited to get it now, heard the "air war" is much better than WoWP. I also heard the "ground war" is much worse than WoT, however.
I heard the same thing about the land side and WoWP. It actually stopped me from buying into the ground Beta which I intended to do. There is a standing joke circulating about tanks that drive up trees. :?

I like the air side, its pretty well done. For now Ive gone straight to the bombers and am enjoying bombing runs in a level 1 Blenhiem bomber and a PBY. They even have the flak coming up in the high level bombing runs. The plane shakes when the flak explodes nearby, its pretty neat.

It seems to be less taxing on the graphics as it has an auto-resolution function that set the graphic with performance in mind.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton