Wargame: European Escalation

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

sismis

Wargame: European Escalation

Unread post by sismis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 pm

I have managed to play few battles of this modern computer version of AAM :D. As I understand this is predecessor of Airland Battle and Red Dragon. It can be found on Gog.com for 4.99$.

I do not know much but this is what I can gather from few plays:

You basically build a "deck" of units which have to be unlocked during campaign. Battlefield will have few areas and controlling these areas will bring points with which you can order reinforcements - so no turtling here! We have infantry, tanks, choppers, and support (AA, various artillery).
What our AAM doesn't have is gamechanging thing: recon, supply and morale.
Units are hidden in the forests or buildings and will shoot you in the open when closing in like ducks. In order to see them you have to get close or use various recon units. Supply: units eat out ammo (especially rockets), and fuel. I have just lost a battle just because enemy came behind my lines with a single chopper and shoot out my FOB (supply depo).
Morale: units wear down during fight and when overwhelmed will be afraid, stunned, or panic and break and flee. Mechanical units can break down in forests, and during battle you can inflict damage to unit components, like in WoT.
Scene_2D_VideoAndDialog_20140627_232019.jpg
Little icons by my blue unit names show that they are out of ammo, fuel, and in desperate need of repair. I miscalculated my need for supplies and this costed me dearly
Outgame_20140627_221811.jpg
Preview and adding of units to a deck
Combat is realtime and intensive, without pausing ability. I have managed to win and get draws from easy AI :lol: so it is doable. Since units pop out as they can become spotted it is easy to become surrounded or ambushed. Combat follows a see-saw pattern- after attacking a position you can expect a counterattack, which is a critical to survive as your units will probably be spent. Attacking is can be very costly so you can bring arty to shell it out and weaken it (infantry will start running when things get burned down), just watch for supplies!
Scene_2D_VideoAndDialog_20140626_224355.jpg
Preparing to attack enemy an position. View from the enemy.
Scene_2D_VideoAndDialog_20140626_225751.jpg
Counterattack to my recently conquered position. My units are mostly spent and damaged.
And now we came to a bad part. You have to really carefull assemble your troops. As I really do not know much about units from cold era I have a hard time to assemble efficient army and order correct timely reinforcements during a fight. Which infantry have better AT ability? Which rockets are better? Why are there infantry transport on the field and I don't need them? Why is there no supply truck which I put into deck? These are things steep learning curve that more play and forum reading will clear out.
And in order to maximize combat performance you can (and probably must in multiplayer) micromanage unit abilities, like turning off rockets to keep your unit hidden until the last moment and then fire it off.
Scene_2D_VideoAndDialog_20140627_225254.jpg
Overwhelmed by T-55 tank swarm. Really unsure what to do...but infantry helps immensely when hidden in the foliage, even against tanks
But it is really fun game and will make me try to add things to AAM. Supply is really cool and make you think when to activate powerful but precious resource-hungry units. Morale is great - there are no suicide attacks and units will flee frequently when fired on from all sides. Mechanical breaking down is topping on the cake - there is no better feeling when enemy tank targeting computer is rebooting. Or worse when your 4 units are detracked in rugged terrain and enemy is wreaking havoc. Unfortunately recon is impossible to add and will be computer exclusive... and a reason to play these games.

Few quick informations for those who want to know more:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2567393
http://www.altergamer.com/wargame-europ ... ame-guide/
http://wargame-series.wikia.com/wiki/Ca ... tion_units

Happy gaming! :para1:

aarules

Re: Wargame: European Escalation

Unread post by aarules » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:57 pm

I just got the game. I haven't had time to play it yet, but I will soon. It looks like it'll be fun.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Tried to download it at Origin.com but my Paypal wouldn't work for some reason. I'm out of luck after the Wifes Visa hijack fiasco a couple of weeks ago.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm

I was reading about successors and will steer clear from them for now. They require some more micromanagement - for example they add planes but you have to turn on and off radar as they will destroy your radar AA and then wreak havoc. I dunno.. I must be getting old :D

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 am

sismis wrote:I was reading about successors and will steer clear from them for now. They require some more micromanagement - for example they add planes but you have to turn on and off radar as they will destroy your radar AA and then wreak havoc. I dunno.. I must be getting old :D
Airland Battle came with it when I got it. They were bundled on Steam for $15. I'm going to play European Escalation first, and then I'll try Airland battle.