Conflict of Heroes: ATB

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

pfclt

Conflict of Heroes: ATB

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:14 am

Conflict of Heroes Awakening the Bear:

Anybody ever play it and what are your thoughts?

I picked it up on Friday and have played a couple times and can't decide my feelings. My son says he likes it.

Hex based game - copyright 2012. as the Title indicates Germany vs Russia --- 14 Firefights based mostly on actions of 1941 Barbaroosa 2 firefights from 1942 ------one July 6,1942 Voronezh and one June 6, 1942 Belbek Valley Grossdeutschland Motorized infantry making for a total of 16 Firefights. There are also expansions as well as a computer version of the game.

The mechanics seem OK but the luck factor seems more dominating on the game than strategy or tactics. My son seems to think it is much the same as any dice game so I don't know if its me.

If anybody has played ----- let me know what you think! Thanks

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Conflict of Heroes: ATB

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Never played it myself, although the name is familiar.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:28 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Never played it myself, although the name is familiar.
I've read a little further into the rules and looks like it could be a bit more interesting. Group actions, Hidden units, elevations, a bunch of unit types we haven't used -- mortars, artillery, vehicles, plus fortification type units.

Anyway - I will continue to try it out. It was just the combat resolution that I didn't take to. I suspect my son is right in it is a dice game - I just have to get use to the way this game does it. It's that time a year that we tend to be busy though so I don't know when we'll try it again.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 pm

:bowty: The computer god let me log in this time. WHOO HOO!!!!!!

I have that game pfclt and we play it fairly often. I like it (reminds me of the Avalon Hill games). I have played all the scenarios in "Awakening the Bear". I have "Price of Honor" which is the German invasion of Poland and "Storms of Steel - Kursk 1943" also. I have not ventured into either yet.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:22 am

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: The computer god let me log in this time. WHOO HOO!!!!!!

I have that game pfclt and we play it fairly often. I like it (reminds me of the Avalon Hill games). I have played all the scenarios in "Awakening the Bear". I have "Price of Honor" which is the German invasion of Poland and "Storms of Steel - Kursk 1943" also. I have not ventured into either yet.
Happy days ------- loco can post................

I've only played the first couple of firefights. It seems there is a luck factor that my son and I wonder if it is rooted in the 2 die method of resolution, also the Germans MG firepower seems overpowering and additionally - some of the cards can really change the game. Do you find the sides balanced? Does the game get better with hidden units and the rules after that? I guess my contention is the luck can change the game dramaticall

Have you tweaked any of the rules?

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:36 pm

pfclt wrote:
Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: The computer god let me log in this time. WHOO HOO!!!!!!

Happy days ------- loco can post................

I've only played the first couple of firefights. It seems there is a luck factor that my son and I wonder if it is rooted in the 2 die method of resolution, also the Germans MG firepower seems overpowering and additionally - some of the cards can really change the game. Do you find the sides balanced? Does the game get better with hidden units and the rules after that? I guess my contention is the luck can change the game dramaticall

Have you tweaked any of the rules?
We haven't tweaked any rules, just played them as written. To me and the guys that have played there is a realistic feel when comparing the units involved. The Russian player has a disadvantage of sorts that seems to fit the historical theme of the time period. I'm going to guess that will change as we work our way into the "Storms of Steel - Kursk" game. If you haven't done so already, go to Academy's website and down load the black and white maps that correspond to the game maps. I printed mine on card stock paper then laminated 'em. I use a dry erase marker for the artillery plotting in later scenarios. There's also some neat add ons for the game which I've found (might try e-bay and find them) like the heavy tank counters and destroyed vehicle counters. Play some more into it and let me know what you think then. If your playing the Russians always use any cover to you best advantage.