Tanks by Gale force nine

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Tanks by Gale force nine

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this match.

It went well, I did manage to eek out a win on this but is was down to one point of damage for the two remaining tanks in turn 10.

My opponent built 3 tanks, (1) ISU-152, (1) T34/85 and an IS-85 (think this is a KV-85). I out numbered him 2 to 1 but it did my little good. My two Panzer IIIs were smoking hulks by turn 3 followed by the Panzer IVs in turn 5, which only cost him his ISU-152 as collateral. I ended up drawing several 'lucky hit' cards which made short work of my Panzers. At the beginning of turn 6, I was left with my Panther and the Stug and considerable damage on his two remaining tanks. He ignored my Stug and went after my Panther which had +1 to its initiative of 7 so it was able to manuever and with the Stug kill the T-34/85 and wear him down to one hit point remaining on his IS-85. In the final turn the Panther and The IS-85 had one hit point remaining each and I was able to destroy his final tank for the win.

The critical cards played a part in my early game destruction of my Panzers. Later in the game it came down to simple dice rolls. None the less it was fun. We decided to keep the points totals down to 60 - 70 points to keep the games quick and play our old standby AAM for the larger points games. In our Opinions, AAM is better suited to larger points games where 'Tanks' is more of an arcade style game (less strategy with dice rolls and critical cards being the deciding factors).
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Off for a Monday afternoon Tanks matinee.

Today we are doing it a bit different, its Panzer IV's Vs Sherman 75mm's.

No points totals for builds, just (3) Panzers vs (3) Shermans + 10 pints in crew/upgrade cards
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Off for a Monday afternoon Tanks matinee.

Today we are doing it a bit different, its Panzer IV's Vs Sherman 75mm's.

No points totals for builds, just (3) Panzers vs (3) Shermans + 10 pints in crew/upgrade cards
It was a pretty evenly matched game so there is no suprises how it turned out. We played two matches, each taking a turn as the defender and each time the defender won handily. At least nobody went home a loser :roll:

This brought us to the conclusion that attacker/defender is the biggest flaw in the 'Tanks' game. In AAM the attacker useally get an extra 10 points or 10% bonus points to attack a entrenched defender. With Tanks the points are even causing an imbalance skewed towards the defender. What does everyone else think?

On out next game we are incorporating initiative rolls each turn to determine who is the attacker and defender. We are hoping, like AAM, this will ballance things out better. Having said that, the games 'beer and pretzel' MO is also to blame and may be a necessary evil.

Comments?
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 pm

Check out the new GF9 Tanks army builder here: http://tanks.aamcardbase.com/

Once you select a tank you can click EDIT to attach Crew/Upgrade cards.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 am

Well I thought I would have my copy - no later than Friday as the seller sent it priority mail. Also thought I'd have the models put together and have checked the game out -- hands on. However it didn't show up. It is on track to be here tomorrow. It originated in North Dakota went to San Juan Puerto Rico - I believe its in state now - bit of a screw up by USPS ..... first major problem I have had. Oh well............ we have time and it will be here tomorrow.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 am

pfclt wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 am
Well I thought I would have my copy - no later than Friday as the seller sent it priority mail. Also thought I'd have the models put together and have checked the game out -- hands on. However it didn't show up. It is on track to be here tomorrow. It originated in North Dakota went to San Juan Puerto Rico - I believe its in state now - bit of a screw up by USPS ..... first major problem I have had. Oh well............ we have time and it will be here tomorrow.
I'm glad I am not the only one having trouble with USPS. I bought a wide brimmed summer hat almost three weeks ago from ebay. I have been tracking it all over the USA for some odd reason, luckily it has a tracking number so I can keep tabs on it. It sarted in Smyra Georgia > Miami > West Palm beach > Louisville > Hamilton > Cleveland > Montreal > Moncton. It looks like it could be delivered today or tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear about your box opening :)
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 am

That's a well traveled hat Ober, should be nicely boken in by the time it arrives.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 am
pfclt wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 am
I'm glad I am not the only one having trouble with USPS. I bought a wide brimmed summer hat almost three weeks ago from ebay. I have been tracking it all over the USA for some odd reason, luckily it has a tracking number so I can keep tabs on it. It sarted in Smyra Georgia > Miami > West Palm beach > Louisville > Hamilton > Cleveland > Montreal > Moncton. It looks like it could be delivered today or tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear about your box opening :)
Very impressed with what I've seen - especially the models - detailed very nicely. Also surprised that there were several tank cards not just the ones that came with the purchase. But, not much time to spend on this so far. Started taking pieces off of the sprues and cleaned up a few. Maybe this weekend.....

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu May 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Can't wait to see how the minis turn out. The extra tank cards are what impressed me about the game. They allow us to recycle some our existing minis, the cards also come with the model kits when you buy them. So its win-win for the players.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat May 27, 2017 4:18 pm

This is my basic 'Tanks' platoon I have put together from their kits. I magnetised barrels so the (ISU-152 & ISU-122) and the (IS-2 & IS-85) can be played as different options.

(2) T34's and (ISU-152 or ISU-122) and the (IS-2or IS-85). There is a SU-100 missing from the post and an M10 Lend Lease waiting to be built.

~Gen. G.S. Patton