Tanks by Gale force nine

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: Tanks by Gale force nine

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:36 am

:bowty: He sent me the kits and I'm building and painting them for him. I volunteered to do this to help out with the scenario. I like to chip in if I can to help the other members of the forums keep the game alive. :tocnt:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:11 pm

So we played 3 games last night and we all agreed to give this game two thumbs-up. Gameplay was easy to learn, played smooth, it was almost like there were no turns, just one continuous turn and most of all, no further plasti-crack investments. (well actually, I did buy 2 Flames of War SU-100s yesterday but thats it, I swear...no really, I swear :roll:)

A few observations we made were:

-Not really indicative to playing historical scenarios, even a Kursk scenario would be hard to play.
-Absolutely a beer and pretzels game...actually more so than AAM.
-Needs more terrain to add to its flavor.
-Measuring stick can be a pain in the a** to use at times....already thinking of how to play this on our hex maps :egrin:
-You need a small lazer pointer for LOS at times
-Its tough at times to get a planned shot on the defender as they always go last and change the gameplay. Like the initutive rolls to be every turn like in AAM.

Interested to see Loco's AAR he will be posting.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 am

:bowty: KennyJ, Jim and I played our first 2 games last night. We also gave it a high rating for quick playability. Rules were quick to learn. The first game was between Kenny (American) and Jim (German). Kenny was the winner being able to take out the Panther lurking in the woods after loosing 1 Sherman. Took about 45 minutes for the game as we were reading along with the rule book. The second game was Kenny (German against Myself (American). I was able to force Kenny's Panther into cover of the woods loosing 1 Sherman in the process. We beat on each other till we each had only 2 hit points left. I fired and Kenny blocked all the hits. Kenny fired and Game over.
100_3883.JPG
100_3884.JPG
Over all I agree with Ober. It is a beer and pretzel game that's quite fun. You can play a number of games in an evening with no problem. I'm looking forward to building some Platoons of 3 tanks with the up-grades and crew cards.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Next week we have upped it and are planning an 110 point build, USSR Vs Germany. One casement TD per side to try out the turretless TDs to see how they work. We have a 4' x 3' green flannel play area and we will be upping the number of terrain tiles to 10 and deploying from the short sides. We printed the extra terrain tiles on cardboard from the GF9 site. The extra terrain gives us more buildings, cultivated fields and Bocages to play with. I printed the tiles on 'Cover stock' light cardboard and gave them a quick coat of dull coat to seal the water soluble ink in case of any moisture.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:11 pm

:bowty: I printed the same tiles and used card stock. I used a glue stick and layered each one to 4 cards thick and cut them out using a large paper cutter. They came out nice and sturdy. I agree with you Ober that there needs to be more terrain. I bought a green felt mat and some 1 foot square brown sections. I'm cutting the squares into 3" wide x 12" long strips to use as roads. We're going to make a movement templet arrow that's 2" longer than the provided ones and use it for on road movement only. I'll let you know how it works.

Also thought some brown or tan felt might make for some hill terrain.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:08 am

Not too bad of a price, but I don't think I need them-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/flames-of-war-f ... 2357851467

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 am

Stalker6 wrote:Not too bad of a price, but I don't think I need them-

Yea, I don't need them either but it is a good starting price. I wouldn't mind having the roads.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
Stalker6 wrote:Not too bad of a price, but I don't think I need them-

Yea, I don't need them either but it is a good starting price. I wouldn't mind having the roads.
Went for $175, still not a bad price if you don't paint......but painting em is half the fun.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Leaving in a half an hour to play another couple of games.

This week; 110 points, Russia vs Germany, one mandatory turretless TD per army.

My builds:
(1) panther
(2) Panzer IV (long barrel)
(2) Panzer III (short barrel)
(1) Stug
+ 7 points for upgrades
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:47 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Leaving in a half an hour to play another couple of games.

This week; 110 points, Russia vs Germany, one mandatory turretless TD per army.

My builds:
(1) panther
(2) Panzer IV (long barrel)
(2) Panzer III (short barrel)
(1) Stug
+ 7 points for upgrades
Everything OK Ober? I've been checking in for an AAR........