View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 am

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tactics 
Mod
Mod

Agree with everything.

Turrets are usually a bad idea but there are some tanks that have more armor in hull than the turret but I would bet 95% or more are not that way. I love to take shots at the commanders cupola, it may take a few shots to hit but it does damage when you pen and often I am in a spot where they can't return fire. As you said, lower front plates are the place to hit from the front as well as view ports, MGs and pretty much any other component mounted to the hull or turret. Also want to aim at the part of the tank most perpendicular to your gun that you think you can pen to reduce bounces and a higher effective armor.

If I see a heavy I can't handle I will try to track them and if possible make my escape, especially if alone. If I can't flank them and can't run then I will put forth my best effort.

Regarding the Easy 8, I read that people find the upper front plate easier to pen than the lower plate but otherwise aim at the usual spots that you pointed out as weak spots or even better, flank em (easier said than done)! I haven't used many derps but I think tanks like that should be avoided :D

For me my biggest weakness is patience. Lately I have been sitting at base for at least 30 seconds in my KV-1S to let my better armored and equipped teammates scout the enemy that way I can at least move into a better shooting position to keep me exposed as little as possible. So far it has not only helped get me more xp by staying alive longer but I can nab a kill or two as well.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
After being destroyed yesterday I was left clicking around the players when I stumbled to an epic battle between a KV and a T29. They were alone in between sand dunes on sand river dukeing it out. The poor KV couldn't get any damage on the T29 and the T29 was getting 20% per hit. Finally in desperation the KV rammed the T29, I suspect to get a break to think because the barrels are to long to shoot each other that close. They pushed back and forth and the KV stayed inside the T29's gun muzzle until the T29 finally broke free and put enough distance to finish the KV. I was really rooting for the KV.

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mod
Mod

That's awesome, I definitely feared T-29s when I was driving my KV-1 and we were face to face. Didn't mind so much when I stumbled across one with side/rear exposed to me while it was engaging another teammate :D

I can never seem to pull off a proper hug these days. I find a way to get destroyed before I can even get close.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm

On the auto aim versus manual aim, when I started I always used manual aim, however, when I learned about auto aim I started to use it. I now use a mix of both. For long range targets I usually use auto aim, as it's hard to stay trained in on a far away target manually. For moving targets I use a mix of both, and for tight shots or stationary targets at short or medium ranges I use manual aim.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 am

Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis
thepanzerguy wrote:
On the auto aim versus manual aim, when I started I always used manual aim, however, when I learned about auto aim I started to use it. I now use a mix of both. For long range targets I usually use auto aim, as it's hard to stay trained in on a far away target manually. For moving targets I use a mix of both, and for tight shots or stationary targets at short or medium ranges I use manual aim.

I yust find the commando key and how auto aim worked for a few weeks ago, then I started using it, and it was fun in the beginning, but now I am back on manual, first becouse I drive mostly heavy tanks with slow reload, so I have to pick the rigth hit spot carefully, eksept when I drive an fast light/ medium tank around the target close range, and I can only consentrate on driving around him while shooting.

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
I am generally disappointed with damage while using auto-aim. The only real exception is with Kamikazi attacks where I often freeze-up so auto aim in any capacity is a help.

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Mod
Mod

Auto aim is great when in a fast tank where you need to focus your attention on maneuvering instead of where you aim. Otherwise you should use manual aim because auto aim targets the center of the mass which is usually more armored than other spots you could pick. I have gone to using manual aim more frequently here as well as I find my crew tends to shoot behind targets a lot and with manual I can compensate by leading a little.

At a great distance it may not matter much since you shell may find its way to a softer area. Anything in the 200m and in should be manual with exception to above IMO

:tocnt:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm
Mod
Mod

Ace's "It should be obvious" tip of the day:

Wait for backup when its already on the way.

Too often I am in a slower tank moving up to join a teammate but they just can't wait for me to get there. Instead they get destroyed leaving me in the same situation they just were in. I tell them I am coming, hold a minute, but no. Sometimes I see this happen in a string as faster tanks get popped, then the next tank arrives and so on.

Sometimes you have no help, but when you do and they simply cant keep up there is no need to run head first into the shells of a likely concealed awaiting enemy.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm
Founder
Founder

Ace of Aces wrote:
Ace's "It should be obvious" tip of the day:

Wait for backup when its already on the way.

Too often I am in a slower tank moving up to join a teammate but they just can't wait for me to get there. Instead they get destroyed leaving me in the same situation they just were in. I tell them I am coming, hold a minute, but no. Sometimes I see this happen in a string as faster tanks get popped, then the next tank arrives and so on.

Sometimes you have no help, but when you do and they simply cant keep up there is no need to run head first into the shells of a likely concealed awaiting enemy.

OMG that happens to me all the time with slower heavies. They run up ID the enemy, get themselves destroyed, then you arrive, and a bunch of teens on a testosterone high charge you and your killed. :lol:

~Gen. G.S. Patton

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Mod
Mod

:lol: and a 2 liter or 3 of mountain dew!

Believe you previously posted a video of lemmings, that really fits well here too!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next