Tactics

Info and reference material

Moderators: Scub, Ace of Aces

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Tactics

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:47 pm

A tactic that seems to be working on heavily armored opponents that I cannot penetrate frontally is hitting them in the turret ring before going into hiding. It seems to garner damage when It would otherwise be a bounced shot. The damage earned can vary a lot but I suspect that it hurts the turret performance. Its a easy area to aim for when looking at the silhouette.

Thoughts?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:34 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:A tactic that seems to be working on heavily armored opponents that I cannot penetrate frontally is hitting them in the turret ring before going into hiding. It seems to garner damage when It would otherwise be a bounced shot. The damage earned can vary a lot but I suspect that it hurts the turret performance. Its a easy area to aim for when looking at the silhouette.

Thoughts?
Sometimes I do that, other times I shoot their tread to immobilize them. Then I run away and wait for somebody else to take them out. I do this a lot with the BT-7. It's fast so it can get away, and sometimes I can flank them and hit their side or rear.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Flanking and spotting are great ways to utilize light tanks like the BT's. Their speed is definitely an asset to their survivability on the battlefield....keep moving and shooting. I was never much into light tanks cause they are so poorly armored and light gunned. I moved into mediums tanks fairly quickly and found they and TDs were my niche and the vehicle I do well in more consistently. You would think that heavy tanks would be good for me too but not so, theres something I just don't get about fighting with heavys. :?

Which tank trees are working your way through? What are your higher tier goals?

Currently I am having a ton of fun running the tier VII Comet and learning the Tier VIII Centurion. I have revisited the Tier 5 T34/76 and am enjoying it a lot more since I put the 57mm gun on it over the 76mm. The ROF makes the 57mm a much more potent gun than the 76mm. I pad my stats using the Tier V Wolverine and Tier VI Jackson, both are superior tank destroyers for their tiers and fun to play.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm working my way through the German Tank Destroyers, and the Russian tanks. I've done a little bit for the US, but I got to the M2 medium and I don't really like it. For the Germans, I have the Marder II. I'm almost at the Hetzer. For the Soviets, I'm at the T46 and BT7. I'm getting better at TD's. At first I was bad, but once I learned how to use them, I usually got 3 or 4 kills a game, out of 7 players on the other team. I don't know how much I'll play this weekend. I'm going to be testing and playing the new AAM campaign I'm working on.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 pm

You can't go wrong with most US and Russian tanks, most are well balanced and play well. The Germans are another story, the TDs are likely the best German line, the mediums and heavys don't generally preform as well as like Russian and US tanks. While most German tanks have good guns they all have serious weak spots in their armor making them venerable. Russian tanks tend to be well armored but often lack high penetration and accurate guns. Most British tanks have high ROF guns, light armor and superior mobility. US tanks seem to be better balanced and preform well on most elements.

You say you figured out TDs.....I assume you figured out how to become an invsa-tank?
~Gen. G.S. Patton

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:29 am

I usually find a good place to hide that overlooks the battlefield. The Marder has long range and a good gun so there are some tanks I can take out from the front.

I had the US T2 medium. I liked it a lot, but then I moved up a tier to the M2 medium. As the T2, I could always take out M2's. Now as the M2, T2s can beat me. I'm just going to play it until I can move up to the next tier. Hopefully, I'll do better in the next tank.