Medium Tanks - Tactics, Tips & Tank Talk

Info and reference material

Moderators: Scub, Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Medium Tanks - Tactics, Tips & Tank Talk

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm

[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Medium Tanks - Tactics, Tips & Tank Talk

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Being a medium tank player I thought I would throw a few comments out for discussion.

It must be human nature but we are never satisfied and we always want better so it wasn't long before light tanks got old. So mediums were the next step. I decided to research the T34 and the Panzer IV. I must say I was disappointed with their performance in the beginning mainly because of my noob mentality which amounted to "No Plan". Once I started having a plan and playing more cautiously and following the heavies instead of leading them my stats started getting better.

Unless you are top dog in the match its best to shoot and hide with medium tanks and don't get in on the first wave. A repeated cycle of shoot, hide and relocate seems to work for me. If you do this while following the bigger tanks you can get a kill from time to time.

I also utilize Derp guns when they are available. They reload slower but thats not a problem when you shoot and hide. Their damage potential is extreme when the shot is carefully aimed. KV's and Churchills used to cause me so much stress but not with Derp. Just get on their flanks and shoot for the engine.

Comments?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Scub
Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis

Unread post by Scub » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:22 pm

all tanks that are new to you, will be a Noob tank. even if you've played 1000's of battles with other tanks
regardless, size, speed, armor, gun etc, even on the same Tiar, and among all the types, everyone has their different pro and cons, what works for one, will be wrong tactics for another.

personally I do not believe in the idea of ​​going "ranks" up to larger tanks, but the game is built so that one begins with the small, slow and throw stones tanks. and many are tired of fighting to reach the better tanks, and most likely buy a premium account, gold and convert the XP from the first Elite you get, and to the tank you want to develop. and of course one or more Gold tanks, all this really describes me. as a player and customer

But, the only thing I personally try to steer away from is using a type of tank that has a very important role for the team, for example SPG artillery,
where I believe one must begin in the first tiar, go to school
train and getting good at using this on all levels
with a Noob Artillery, the team's path to destruction is alarmingly high. and you can read on the screen the famous word NOOB

Now
after running with VII Tiger and Panther for a little while, (still half Noob) I started to play with a little french frog, ELC AMX, Tiar 5
a quick little bandit, and here again I will be the highest on the list of NOOB's
But I have a great time when I try getting better
Google Translate
I am from Norway, Bear with me !! ;-)

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Good points both.

100% agree that mediums should not stray too far from the tanks they should be supporting, Heavies. Running up ahead a short distance is ok so long as you aren't exposing yourself unnecessarily and have hard cover to wait behind. If you get too far ahead and your group veers off the course you took you can easily be alone and exposed.

The rest of this can be applied generally to all tanks.

Acting as one coordinated fire team will also dominate teams who do not use this tactic. I see many matches where the team that does this kills the team that doesn't entirely and sometimes takes as few as 3 or 4 casualties.

Learning your tank goes a long way to having success. For example I complained in a match that I hated the T-46 that I had recently started driving. In unison three or four of them were in disbelief and told me how great it was. They obviously knew what it did well and could make the most of it where I had yet to adapt my previous experience to fit this tank. In the end I was only driving this to get the T-28 so I never did figure out what they loved about it. Now I am driving the T-28 and dislike it too, but less so than T-46 :D

Know thy enemy - Experience will help us all know the capabilities of enemy tanks and tanks you have driven helps even more. How quick can that tank turn, how quick does his turret traverse, what possible reload times might he have, does he go up hills quickly or slowly, is he in a spot where enemies have overwatch? Knowing the answers to these questions helps or should help create your plan of attack.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]