Something new

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Something new

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 pm

So I have decided to move on from painting 15mm stuff because I have a ton of stuff we cannot use while our group games because it is constantly getting knocked off the table and broken. One of the guys gets heavy into the "wobbly pop" and becomes a Bull in a China shop. :lol: So I have decided to start building 1:72 & 1:76 scale pieces for an eventual diorama. My interest in Mechanical Engineering has led me to a site (http://www.milicast.com/) which has an amazing array of Armored Recovery Vehicles, CMP Softskin workshops and etc. I picked up a couple of pieces to get warmed up and figure out how to do the larger units, see attached photos. The first was the German Crane truck which didn't turn out to well because I should of ink-washed it before adding the details, the second is a Grant ARV which turned out much better.
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG

Next up.

CMP Workshop
CMP work shop.JPG
CMP work shop.JPG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 63 times
RAM ARV
UK209 Ram ARV.jpg
UK209 Ram ARV.jpg (32.85 KiB) Viewed 63 times
CMP Gantry
UK150 003.jpg
UK150 003.jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Field equip
UK60FG.JPG
UK60FG.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Drill presses, Lathes and tools
ACC24.jpg
ACC24.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Attachments
ACC17.b.JPG
ACC17.b.JPG (33.86 KiB) Viewed 63 times
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: Something new

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 am

:bowty: All I can say is "wow"! That crane truck is fantastic Herr Ober. Now you have something to get Gunther out of trouble as fast as he get into it. I like the rigging you did on both of them. Top notch.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 pm

I actually changed my mind yesterday and started this 1:72 Diamond T wrecker. This particular version was used in Canadian service during WWII
Diamond T.jpg
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 am

those are really neat! Nice find!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 pm

dano903 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 am
those are really neat! Nice find!
All this themed stuff will eventually end up in a Normandy diorama as a field workshop. When the time comes I will be leaning on you to show me the techniques to create some terrain to park the vehicles on.

Here is a 1:100 (15mm) Grant Vs the 1:76 Grant ARV just to show you the scale proportions.
IMG_0449.JPG
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 am

I'll play around with this idea. I have some things I need to do for IOWA!

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:31 am

Really nice looking work. I have found I really like painting the 28mm stuff for Bolt Action.

Any particular manufacture that is not holding up as well to the "barley pop" crowd? I am sure you still have some 15mm stuff to finish up, unless you have been a lot more disciplined than the rest of us when it comes to buying future projects. I think my painting queue is over several hundred vehicles and that does not include the new Bolt Action additions and multiple terrain pieces.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 am

The Gaming Models stuff is really getting a beating, once a piece chips off it usually breaks into enough fragments its unrepairable. The PSCo can always be glued back together but frankly, I'm tired of repairing stuff on a weekly basis. The AAM stuff is the most durable but I hate repainting it in case I decide to sell it off someday. I have a whole drawer full of 15mm stuff left to paint but the wind is gone out of my sails. The great thing about the 1:72/1:76 scale stuff is it takes the best part of a week to build and paint one so it keeps me busier than the 15mm stuff which I rip through. I am on salary through the winter but I don't have to go into work so I bought a ton of the new scale stuff to do the winter.
I just finished the Diamond T wrecker and once I get the decals on it I will post some pics. I just started priming a 1:72 M32 ARV, Its going to be a challenge because the tracks come in individual links and have to be glues together one by one. There were 5 sprues in the kit so its quite detailed.
unm225.jpg
unm225.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 2 times
~Gen. G.S. Patton