A Dano Box

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

A Dano Box

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:29 am

I received a medium flat rate box from dano today.....brain still processing it alll....:D

Thank you Sir.

This thread to be continued....

I need some North Africa maps to do those pyramids true honor....:D

Wash & Prime buildings, wow...nice, very solid.

dano903
The King
The King

Re: A Dano Box

Unread post by dano903 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 am

black wash the building with a black paint(water based), a bit of elmers or wood glue, and water. just to "seal it". let dry, and paint. you'll be fine.

can't wait for some pixs! oh...did you win???

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:58 am

Pictures? Itemized list?

WHAT WAS IN THE BOX?

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:41 am

Stalker6 wrote:Pictures? Itemized list?

WHAT WAS IN THE BOX?
Stalker... I'll have that 28mm terrain piece (as requested) in your next box...NO PROBLEM!!! :)

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:53 pm

Stalker6 wrote:Pictures? Itemized list?

WHAT WAS IN THE BOX?
An assortment of ground covers/dirts.....topsoil....some foliage material.....two very solid buildings, got some weight to them...some Masonite hexes....sculptamold makings...two pyramids, need desert maps now to do them proper justice...some tiny lumber, some nice wire...

@dano,
Can you further explain the building prep? Thanks.

Does anyone have stats on pyramids..."Once per game you may transport to another dimension or location"....:D....not just cover.....invisability ..lol

Thanks again...

to be continued.....

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Mix a bit of water based black paint/ wood glue and a bit of water. About an ounce of fluid. That will coat the building material. About the consistency of a milk shake. The building material ...like a cement structure will soak the paint mixture up. It forms a better painting surface. Start with the windows/ window pains with bright colors to darker/ shading colors.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:19 am

curt...call me if you need to. I can better describe Loco's eating habits at the last minicon for you...whoops! I can better describe the painting process for you over the phone. the material might be a bit unusual to work with.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:51 pm

dano903 wrote:curt...call me if you need to. I can better describe Loco's eating habits at the last minicon for you...whoops! I can better describe the painting process for you over the phone. the material might be a bit unusual to work with.
I might just make that call when I get ready to paint the buildings. Right now, I am dabbling around with some of the Sculptamold & some foam board terrain things. I got the water/Sculptamold mixture down pretty good.....haven't quite hit the paint adding yet but getting closer....lol....the foam board does allow for inletting things easier than the Masonite & I have about 4 sheets still to use up. Also, an artificial grass company dropped samples with a card around my neighborhood.....I collected a few of them & have incorporated them into some of my "Experimenting" with terrain types....so far I have created some ersatz Marsh hexes from them....I'll try to get some pics of them when completed.
Anyway, I thought an update was due so you know that I am still dabbling with stuff & so far the results are acceptable to me at least.....certainly useable for the intended uses. Again, thank you for all your assistance in this endeavor......I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks...:D

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:20 am

try mixing a little paint into the Sculptamold mix...just enough to tint it. The paint will make the final paint job a little easier.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:12 pm

dano903 wrote:try mixing a little paint into the Sculptamold mix...just enough to tint it. The paint will make the final paint job a little easier.
That's what I have done, just missed it by a couple drops to achieve the right/desired shade but getting closer each time....the final surface texture is neat though, very realistic looking, just like actual terrain surface....lol