Hoist the anchors and swab the poop-deck........

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Hoist the anchors and swab the poop-deck........

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun May 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Hoist the anchors and swab the poop-deck cause Ober is going to attempt to paint a couple of ships :Hunt:

Ive been selling lots of AAM on ebay and sales have been brisk so I was able to order a couple of Warspites from shapeways. For those who aren't aware, they are a 3d printing supplier. Their niche is that 'normal joes' design this stuff and upload it to Shapeways store where they print it on request and share the profits with the designer. The reason why I choose shapeways was because of the extreme prices of WotCs Warspite models on ebay and through vendors, I figured at 25% of the cost it was worth a try and here I am.

So I found the warship in the correct scale on shapeways and ordered it and another for a gaming buddy with white nylon material. The minis were on my door step in 7 days and I wasn't disappointed with my purchase. These thing are beautiful with more detail than Wotc minis at a distance, everything is in correct proportion for the scale. The only negative is they have a slight pebbled texture that really made itself apparent when the primer was applied, see below. But honestly at arms distance they look amazing, the photos tend to be a microscope for stuff you can't see with your eye.

Here is a pic of the two Warspites, one as delivered and the other with the first coat of primer applied. They somehow print the turrets loose in place on the ship so all you do is clip the backing off and glue the turrets down. If you look carefully you will see them sitting high above their mounts because they haven't been clipped from below.
IMG_9892.JPG
Click any image to zoom

Here are the two ships after 2 coats of primer, it took two to get coverage in all the detail.
IMG_9893.JPG
Here is a photo of the back side of one of the ships to illustrate how they print the turrets loose in place. When you look you will see the plastic loops between the turret posts that keeps the turrets together for shipping. Once your ready to glue you clip the loop off from the back and glue the turrets in place.
IMG_9896.JPG
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Hoist the anchors and swab the poop-deck........

Unread post by dano903 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks for the pixs. I have never ordered from them. Glad to hear this worked out

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun May 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Its not bad stuff so don't hesitate to give something a try. There are a few WWII tanks but not a big selection at the 15mm scale.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:18 pm

I must say these are a lot more difficult to paint than I thought. They are scaled down so much that the details are really hard to paint freehand. Here are a couple of pics showing the progress.

The Warspite with her base paint and wooden decks painted
IMG_9898.JPG
Here she is with turrets mounted with her camo and ready for inkwash.
IMG_9901.JPG
Attachments
IMG_9903.JPG
IMG_9901.JPG
~Gen. G.S. Patton

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

They

look

nice

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:21 am

paint job looks good ober - but I can't get over that bumpy surface..............

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:39 am

pfclt wrote:paint job looks good ober - but I can't get over that bumpy surface..............
So far the surface texture seems to be the only drawback to these printed minis. I'm not sure if there was some prep I wasn't aware of to smooth out the pebbles. On the up side you don't really see them with your naked eye, its more something that shows up in macro photography.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:16 pm

My first Impression was that those ships have spent sometime at the bottom of the sea ;)

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Nice paint job. The one thing that will prevent me from ever getting into WAS is the fact (cost aside) that, to me, all these ships look basically alike! Or, put another way, there's not enough difference to make me want to go out and start collecting hundreds of them.

Tanks, on the other hand, they're purdy! :)

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Panzer Commander wrote:Nice paint job. The one thing that will prevent me from ever getting into WAS is the fact (cost aside) that, to me, all these ships look basically alike! Or, put another way, there's not enough difference to make me want to go out and start collecting hundreds of them.

Tanks, on the other hand, they're purdy! :)
I had no intention in playing War at Sea but when a bunch at our local LGS got into WaS a few years back I decided to give it a try. Its a fun game and much more beer and pretzels than AAM without the terrain influences to make the game more dynamic. Its got more to do with complimentry SAs than terrain, LOS and etc. In general I find it a lot lighter and more relaxing than AAM. Its weird but I find myself less compeditive playing WaS where with AAM I am absolutely bent on winning at all cost. WaS is very expensive however I was lucky to acquire my Navy through trades at my LGS and on the forumini so I bought very few over-priced minis from singles vendors, which is why we tried the shapeways ships.
~Gen. G.S. Patton