More magnet madness

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

More magnet madness

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat May 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I have been using micromagnets for a few years to attach turrets to tanks but lately, I have been pushing them to their limits and getting creative. These GF9 Tanks model kits quite often have option to build them in a couple of variants and it always seemed a shame not to use both options. Here is some more magnet madness I've been up to the last month.

Stug
I built both options for this TD, 75mm and 105mm. I like the way Stalker use one big magnet for tank body switches rather than 3 - 4 small ones like I was doing. I highly recommend this option its much better than using the small ones. They really click together firmly.
► Show Spoiler
IS-2 & IS-85
The GF9 IS-2 kit has an otpion to build a IS-85 which I think is the KV-85 in AAM, not positive on that though, anyways, I magneted the turret and the mantlets on both guns so I have an option for either model.

► Show Spoiler

ISU-152 & ISU-122
On this tank there was no mantlet switch because it only required a barrel swap. For this I used super small micro magnets (2.5mm x 1mm) I got in the Warhammer section at my LGS. I just glued one magent in the hole for the barrel in the mantlet and a magnet on the base of each barrel.

► Show Spoiler
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: More magnet madness

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:08 pm

How do you get the spoiler to be viewable? Is it by chance the same code as the Forumini?

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Guess not, tried it but no go.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Nice bit of engineering on a couple of those

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 pm

curtm1911 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 6:08 pm
How do you get the spoiler to be viewable? Is it by chance the same code as the Forumini?
When I click on the text "show spoiler" it opens for me on Firefox. Your on a tablet?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:16 am

Yes on a tablet, when I click on it, the letters turn red & nothing else. A Galaxy sumpin 7.0
It does the spoiler on the Forumini....
What is the code you used here? Maybe if I do a spoiler it will allow me to see....

sismis

Unread post by sismis » Sun May 28, 2017 6:57 pm

What I like with these conversions is that barrels won't snap if piece fall to the ground, magnet should just snap out. And looks great, I would never guessed it's not permanently fixed!