Something new

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: Something new

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 am

Looking very good Herr Ober. You'll have to sneak the diorama under the Christmas tree when Mrs. Ober isn't looking. Take over the town.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Locozugmeister wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 am
Looking very good Herr Ober. You'll have to sneak the diorama under the Christmas tree when Mrs. Ober isn't looking. Take over the town.
Good idea! I will work towards it for Christman 2018 :cool:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 am
The Gaming Models stuff is really getting a beating, once a piece chips off it usually breaks into enough fragments its unrepairable. The PSCo can always be glued back together but frankly, I'm tired of repairing stuff on a weekly basis. The AAM stuff is the most durable but I hate repainting it in case I decide to sell it off someday.

Sorry to hear that the guys are so tough on your stuff. It sucks to put in a bunch of time and effort on something and then have somebody mistreat it.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Just finished the RAM ARV. I modded the front boom because the kit had it in the travel position. Very pleased with this result. :slinger;
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:52 pm

So I bought some kits where the track went together link by link, I thought I was equal to the challenge. However, I soon found out I was not yet skilled enough to be able to build tracks this way.
IMG_0478.JPG
My solution was to buy aftermarket 1:72 tracks in a soft plastic to complete the 3 models with the link by link track system. They worked really good, you just dip them in hot water, slid them into place and hold them for 20 seconds until the plastic cools. You can then slide them off and paint them. Once dry add some glue and slide them back on.
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

Track for a 1:72 T34 armored recovery vehice I have in the cue for later. These are seen still attached to the sprue.
IMG_0476.JPG
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Here are a couple more of my models I finished over the last week.

This is a 1:76 CMP Gantry truck by Milicast, used by the Canadians in small numbers.
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG

This is a 1:72 Sherman ARV by Blackdog models, a different model from the M32. This too was in Canadain service. I also uploaded the photo of the version i modeled it after,. Very happy with this one. Needs some crewmen that will come later.
IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
68d64f17ec2f5b51ad86eebec6f2e036.jpg
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 am

:bowty: You've been busy in between snow shoveling I see. Those are very well done. Easy to catch the bug once you start something with a long term goal attached. Keep 'em coming boss. I am also to assume you keep the door locked so Gunther can't play with them while your out shoveling.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Locozugmeister wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 am
:bowty: You've been busy in between snow shoveling I see. Those are very well done. Easy to catch the bug once you start something with a long term goal attached. Keep 'em coming boss. I am also to assume you keep the door locked so Gunther can't play with them while your out shoveling.
I'm working towards building the 1:35 Sherman M32 ARV you gave me a few years back. Something so large is a bit intimidating but I not too far away from cracking the box open and starting it. I will do the 1:72 M32 first and get a feel for what the model will look like and then I will just jump right in.

PS - I bought a little electric snowblower last year for clearing snow around the walkways and on the deck. Best purchase I've made in a long while!
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Finished this T-34 ARV up a couple of days ago. This one turned out super awesome. All the stowage and boom were modded, the basic kit was pretty plain Jane. I bought a bunch of different sized styrene rods and sheets on eBay a while back that I used for the boom. I heated and stretched out old sprues to make the cables for the boom and modded the hook for the boom with leftover plastic from other kits. The tools are from a photo-etched kit from a company called "Brengun". I am making some oxy-acetylene tanks for it to add later.
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 pm

:bowty: Very nicely done Herr Ober. The "scratch building" fever is setting in :-)