Glue

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Glue

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 am

dano903 wrote:they look great. from here, you would normally mount them on stands, sm, med, or large. the officers on three pieces on a sm stand. the MG team is 2-3 on a med stand, and the rest of the infantry is either 4 or 5 per stand on a med. base. you may have other plans for these and I understand that. this set looks like an older one. I see the star of russia on one of the bases, and I don't think they shot infantry in the late war setting, but I could be wrong, again.

for the faces...either throw a wash on them, OR!!! dry brush a little flesh tone across the cheeks and nose. however, they look good as is. samples in the new winter plate topic
I have bases for them but I'm waiting for some flocking from someone. :roll:

Oh that commisar posed to shoot the machine gunner? That was just a coincidence. :egrin:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:29 am

the flocking will be on the way soon. since this is a russian setting, I'll include some gravel and rock assortment.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:34 am

[quote="FieldMarshall Ober"]Has anyone tried the glue in these containers? There are two side panels attached to a pump so you can squeeze out just the right amount everytime. It worked so good I bought a second with gel glue. :D

Yes - (many months later)
And for anyone that does use those types of glue - (Ober's pic didn't attach but see below) - I decided I wanted to know how this thing pushed the glue out so I took it apart and discovered two things:
1- there is still more glue that can be utilized
2- it has a kool pushing plastic thing that can be used as well ----- as can be seen in the picture below
005.JPG
You can see the two halves of the old I cut in half next to the unused one. I unscrewed the cap - then snipped four places as seen in the picture - comes right apart. placed the cap back on and continue using.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

So its a tube hidden inside a vice. Interesting. Good to hear you still kicking buddy. :party:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:So its a tube hidden inside a vice. Interesting. Good to hear you still kicking buddy. :party:
Good way to describe it Ober "vice" and yes - I'm still kicking

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 am

Hope Im not going over the top with this post but here goes:

For me Testor’s Model Master and Plastruct’s Plastic weld are all I need. But thought I'd share in addition to my other post ---------- My Experience or Opinions----------

LIQUID GLUES: See picture below.

Black box item C: Tenax 7R
1.) This liquid glue evaporates too quickly not allowing it to attack the plastic. This could cause your glue joint to not be optimal. By the same token it may minimize spillage or splash damage.
2.) It does not have a brush applicator so you would have to use a brush that would have to be cleaned with each use.
3.) Has a health warning that seems to be more stern.

Red Box item B1/B2
B1: : Testors plastic cement -
1.)It has a brush applicator and it does attack the plastic a little better than the Tenax, but not much.
2.)The brush applicator is a little cheap and I don’t like the smell. Don’t get me wrong - All these glues smell and they kill brain cells.
B2: Plastruct liquid glues
1.)Plastruct Weld and Plastruct Bondene. The Plastic Weld works on plastic models like D2 but works well for the sheet and strip styrene plastic as well. The Bondene is the type that evaporates quicker and doesn’t attack the plastic so aggressively so it doesn’t work so well on the D2 plastic parts. The Bondene does work on the sheet and strip plastic styrene.
2.) I like the Plastruct weld – the way it attacks the plastic and the liquid density and Its all-around use.

Yellow box A:
This is probably the easiest glue to control its application to edges as seen on the plastic pieces in the picture D2. It has a nice small tube that you can use to guide where your glue is applied. This is probably the best for 90% of this type of gluing - at least for me. Also one I bought came with a little wire to keep the tip clear (if it gets clogged).

SAMPLE USE:
Green Box E:
I threw this into the pic to show the green putty. I coat the putty with the liquid glue and it does a few things. One it smooth’s out the putty. Two - I believe it also helps increase the adherence to plastic surfaces. It doesn’t penetrate deeply but a little. Three - The glue also softens it for a short time. I apply the glue and wait a few minutes because otherwise it would be sticky as opposed to soft. when soft it is easy to work.

TUBE GLUES
White Box PG:
These are two tube cements. I don’t know if the testors (orange tube) is still available but it tends to dry out or up and I don’t like the consistency of the glue – too thick and I don’t like the way it comes out of the tube. The white tube is G-S hypo cement. If you zoom into the picture – you will see it has a nice fine point applicator.
1.) One problem with these tube type glues is every time I take the cover off – either the glue comes out and the glue gets all over the place or it doesn’t come out and then I squeeze it and end up with too much pressure and too much glue.
2.) I also had a problem with the G-S glue applicator tip – it came out and I had to keep pushing it back in. Also the glue leaked and gummed up the cover and the applicator ended up stuck in the cover………… you get the idea. It could have just been this tube though.

That's my experience with plastic glues. I know this thread has been here awhile - but can't hurt posting.
Attachments
plastic glue.JPG

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Nice, informative article. I like how you recycled the glue case into a clamp. :bow:

You have been working on some projects, pfc?
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Nice, informative article. I like how you recycled the glue case into a clamp. :bow:
Thanks Ober! The glue case in the picture right now is just acting as a stand - but it could be turned into a nice little clamp by adding some kind of screw mechanism to the top or maybe something else (rubber bands?) - not a bad idea.
FieldMarshall Ober wrote:You have been working on some projects, pfc?
Just my same old project -- I hope I finish some day (then maybe do some 15mm stuff) - it was moving along pretty well lately - but I start a new job in a week and a half and I have a dozen house projects I've been working on the last few months that I need to get done. I'm just amazed at how prolific Dano & Loco are.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Good to hear about the new job, good luck! Hopefully it will take some pressure of the home life getting out into the workforce again. Again its good to hear from you again.

For those who don't know who pfclt is. He is one of the founding members here at the Underground. He migrated with us after a troll made life unbearable on the old forums. pfc has amazing scratch building skills and has shown us a few of his projects in the past. pfclt was also instrumental in getting the database up and running, working tirelessly on the cards and revisions. Thanks a million buddy! :bow:
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 pm

We need to bump his project... ARTastic!!