What scenario/theatre should I pick?

Post your scenarios and battle reports here.
thepanzerguy

What scenario/theatre should I pick?

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 am

I am going to play a game of AA minis tommorow (hopefully) with my new friend. Should I go Poland German, France German, eastern front, western front, or north africa? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thepanzerguy

Re: What scenario/theatre should I pick?

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 am

I want it to be simple and easy for beginners because it's my friends first game.
Last edited by thepanzerguy on Fri May 10, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 am

It will be a small 100 point or less game too.

KennyJman
Mod
Mod

Unread post by KennyJman » Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 am

I would recommend Germans attacking the Poles or the French. Give the Germans a few extra points and let your friend command them. He/she is much more likely pursue the game further if they have initial success.

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I will do that. That is a good point and I have plenty of French poles and Germans.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Fri May 10, 2013 8:19 am

Has your friend any preferences - Does he like Russia, or is he a fan of "a Bridge too far"? Choose the battle accordingly.

Keep the game simpls - no units with too many SAs 5 Mausers (15 points) might be better than a Mauser, a Wehrmacht Vet and a SSPG (also 15 points) - because the Mausers are just more of the same, so its less confusing.

Arnhem (A bridge too far) might be a nice starting scenario - a sample build:

Sample German Build:
(SS-)Jagdpanther
(Panzer IV F2s)
Hauptsturmführer
MG-42
Balance of SS-Panzergrenadiers

vs

a few Brit paratroops defending a town hex while a US Relief column of 2-4 Shermans, Garands riding M5s, Red Devil Captain on a Jeep...

Germans win if they eitehr destroy the paras or the relief column, Allies win if the relief column links up with the paras. - A definite goal avoids the objective rush style games.

Adjust builds so your friend has 105 MORE points - yes it helps if you win... (Kenny is right)

If he makes mistakes - either don't exploit them or allow him to re-adjust his move /attack, but let the dice fall where they want (no cheating the dice gods - its unlucky)

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Good points, I agree with everyone. Make sure he wins and has some cool units to play with and keep the SAs basic and he should get hooked. Pass him your new SS-Jadgpanther. :D
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Der Engel » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

US vs. Germany and let him be US. Pick a balanced force for him ahead of time with a fun variety of vehicles and infantry. Limit SAs (someone said that before) and don't do much with transport or indirect fire. Be Germany, but pick a force without power units that match well with US vehicles (Stug III w/short barrel, Panzer IV G, etc)

Have fun!

thepanzerguy

Unread post by thepanzerguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm

That game was an Eastern front match. I went easy on him and let him win. He was Russians I was Germans. It was 100 points but I gave Russia a few extra. Hopefully next tim I see him we can play.

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Have you had more games with this guy?